Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:47 am

Author Topic: Desperate need of a Left (as you sit on the bike) Fork Leg willing to buy pair  (Read 1646 times)

Andy-Fazer-thou

• CBT Wobbler
  • My Ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - none
    • View Profile
Help Desperate need of a Left (as you sit on the bike) Fork Leg willing to buy a pair
Ive had 3 oil seals put into my forks in the last 5 weeks and the left side is always dripping and leaking
its been done at a bike shop the right leg is fine no trouble but the left leg is being a pain in the arse

Thank you
please help some one i gotta get my baby 100% again
« Last Edit: 08 June 2014, 06:16:52 pm by Andy-Fazer-thou »

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Desperate need of a Left (as you sit on the bike) Fork Leg
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2014, 06:25:30 am »
Whats actually wrong with the fork, badly pitted or scratched up?

Andy-Fazer-thou

• CBT Wobbler
  • My Ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
Niether pitted or scratched
nor bent dont understand why but works for a few days prob a week then i start noticing it leaking again
bike shop done the work & they dont know either

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2014, 01:08:56 am »
Did they replace the dust seals as well as the fork seals?
What kind of mileage is on the bike?

mhowse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
did shop let you know what state the bushes where in, not sure what mileage is on your bike but did seals and bushes on mine last month as had a slight seep of oil on left side leg, decided to change bushes at same time as mileage on mine at time was 46k, though to be honest the teflon coating of bushes was still in good order and could be down to changing fork oil every 15k miles..also could worth checking that your fork oil levels are correct compression/rebound/preload are matching on each side so not putting any extra strain to leaking side, though that all depends how much trust you have in the shop doing the work for you..also it is the seal that is leaking is and not the allen bolt at bottom of fork leg, if it is the bottom allen bolt then be new copper washer required for it, though I have got by many times by giving that particular copper washer a little rub with emery paper and a little smear of gasket sealant and no problems, manual states new copper washer should be fitted each time but each to their own on that one.

also have an old cx500 that was like yourself blowing the seal on one side on the 3rd set of seals I put in and changed the bushes at same time which cured the problem..so could be worth asking the shop if they remember what state the bushes where in on yours, though before you go looking for another fork leg you may as well strip it down and have a look for yourself, sure you find help on here if you get stuck and if you do need new bushes they are not as much as a fork leg, also check what make of seals go in .. worth getting some decent ones as some of the cheaper ones use a harder type of rubber which does not make such a good seal, also giving the fork stanction a rub with a bit of kitchen foil dipped in water helps clear any sharp edges the fork stanction may have.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2014, 01:25:00 pm by mhowse »

Andy-Fazer-thou

• CBT Wobbler
  • My Ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2014, 06:15:43 pm »
Nice one for that info
i have bought some bushes and taking it to a different mechanic as lost trust in the one i been using for the last 2yrs
had to take my bike back a 2nd time on a few occasions coz they didnt do the job right in the 1st place.
so even if i asked them about the bushes they wouldnt have a clue.
so going to try a repair again then if its any more trouble ill get a leg for it

thanks alot