Date: 23-04-24  Time: 19:49 pm

Author Topic: strange electrical problem & oil light  (Read 923 times)

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
strange electrical problem & oil light
« on: 01 August 2016, 06:59:48 pm »
So my Fazer has started doing something odd!

When the engine is cold, if you put the steering on full lock to the right, the oil warning and low fuel lights switch on, and the radiator fan start spinning! It seems to not do it when the engine has warmed up though. Ive had a look at the wiring assuming its a loose connection somewhere, or something pinching when I turn to full lock, but cant find anything.

Also my oil warning light sometimes flickers on at random for just a second, then goes off again, the things Ive found that usually cause it is hard acceleration (traffic light grand prix is almost guaranteed to cause it  :lol ) or speed bumps, so again Im assuming loose connection somewhere as the oil level is perfect. It also sometimes does it at random when driving along at motorway speeds on a perfectly flat, straight road with no hard acceleration.

Im at a loss for where to look though, Ive checked the obvious places and cant find anything! Anyone had a similar issue or got any ideas?
« Last Edit: 01 August 2016, 07:00:31 pm by Tiercel »

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: strange electrical problem & oil light
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2016, 07:21:52 pm »
Last resort but we used to strip the plastic wrap off the sub looms and check each wire for damage, often we'd find a piece of bare wire where it had been pinched, tape it up and re wrap the wiring. Seems odd it only does it when cold though.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 07:56:02 pm »
yeah I dont really fancy taking the entire loom apart  :'(  my housemate had catastrophic electrical problems with his KLE500, when we resorted to peeling the looms apart found out several joints had perished and come loose.

My thoughts as to why it only does it when cold is that heat expansion must create a tighter seal or something around the loose connection and hold it in place, perhaps. Or maybe its a gypsy curse and/or voodoo at work like most electrical problems!

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2016, 05:05:55 pm »
yeah I dont really fancy taking the entire loom apart  :'(  my housemate had catastrophic electrical problems with his KLE500, when we resorted to peeling the looms apart found out several joints had perished

Been there got the t-shirt for that one on a KLE  :rolleyes  It wasnt the nearside by the fuse box by any chance?
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...