Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:45 pm

Author Topic: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today  (Read 198075 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today
« Reply #825 on: 13 February 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
So i wasn’t far off then, i can certainly understand the cosmetic look with the smoked lenses but the indicators are there to do an important job in my opinion so the brighter the better wherever possible for me, the same with all lights on the bike.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 13 February 2019, 08:52:13 pm »
Today i have mostly been foccin buying for my bike:
a new polski bellypanwezmoto full braided race lines
alloy headlamp brackets to fit my raptor 2 aftermarket headlight fairinggold paint for the forks
lubberly anodised aluminuim and lubber grips
knock off titanium pazzo leversgold drag barsnew anodised handlebar clamps15w fork oil and a date with the sandblaster/powdercoater/sprayer to do the swingarm black, wheel centres gloss black and rims polished up

Whilst not buying cheap hop up parts from asia, i've been changing

new air filter
new iridium sparksbled the horrible brown stuff  and refilled with lovely green/yellow coolantoil & filter
and
comtemplating an R7 seat unit,
some new handlebar mirrors (but the adaptors cost more than the mirrors) go figure !!
already in the process of making a cardboard template for the clocks out of aluminium to make a speedo bracket.
i'm 50/50 about selling the original fazer fairing, but as the headlight was barry white and it was scratched and cracked to chuff, it seems the £100 given to me for it will buy most of these new parts and give the foccer a new faze of life... FZS600 ver 2.0

i'll get some photos up when im not driving the wife 240km for a foccin haircut, going across the border into belarus for cheap diesel, alcohol and cigs.70 litres of diesel about £30-3280 cigarettes - 20p per packet
1 litre of vodka £3.10p

just need this cold weather to foc off so i can get to work in the garage (coldest was -17
adios amigos

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: 20 February 2019, 09:00:11 pm »
Gonna have a go at fitting the new braided brake lines tomorrow. Got some new DOT 4 and cobra lines. I don’t have a bleeding kit but I do have a small oil suction kit for changing oil on small engines via the dipstick hole and I reckon I can get it to work.

I’m gonna tear down and rebuild the callipers as well at the same time. Never done this before but I’m hoping it will be a fairly straightforward job. I’ve heard the bleed nipple is easy to snap off but any other tips from the seasoned foccers will be well received. I’ll do the front and if it goes well I’ll also do the rear.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2019, 09:14:49 pm by redmandan »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 20 February 2019, 10:13:23 pm »
This for caliper rebuild :
http://www.redrubbergrease.com/tips-how-to-brake-caliper-failure-repair-with-rebuild-kit.html

& for bleeding brakes, better to use clear tubing:

E
Good luck hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2019, 10:24:40 pm by bandit »

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 21 February 2019, 06:59:09 pm »
Cheers for the tips Bandit.

I like Delboy's garage on youtube, top stuff.

Had a go at the front lines today. It goes pretty slowly with me as I like to take my time and read the service manual 20 times as I'm doing the job. Didn't have time to take the calipers to bits, I might do that after this season as I will naturally have to do the brake fluid again.

piccies

I kept the 2 into 1 bracket from the original lines on the bike as the bracket that attaches them to the bike also holds the speed sensor wire and the bracket is a part of the attachment.

Bleeding the lines didn't go very well. The manual says to leave it for a while to let the air bubbles all rise to the reservoir. The brakes do go on but I can pull the lever all the way back to the handlebar. Manual says to wait a while to let the bubbles rise to the reservoir. There's plenty of vids out there which I will watch for pointers but if anyone has some bike specific help it would be much appreciated.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 21 February 2019, 07:23:38 pm »
With the brake lever pulled in until it stops as in your pic, tie it back in that position overnight this will allow the air to rise into the res.

Only bleed one line at a time once you have fluid coming out of each bleed nipple.

This can be repeated when you have finally bleed the brakes as well, same with the rear brake pedal tied down with added weight.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2019, 07:51:36 pm by bandit »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: 29 March 2019, 08:08:05 am »
Just had a week off work and using up my holiday, and it was a nice day yesterday, so i sat outside in the sun for a few hours cleaning up all my brake calipers and regreasing the pots after the winter period. I try and do all the calipers before and after winter to keep them in good order.

Then i cleaned off the normal engine oil i've been using on the chain, and relubed it with 90w gear oil instead. Cleaned all the shite off the rear sprocket as well, which is normally pretty dirty from everyday use.
After that i gave the whole bike a quick wash and it now looks all respectable again, until it rains again anyway.

Was just having a good look around the internet as i used up my last brake cleaner spray, and i'm getting low on red rubber grease.
Really odd that they charge about £5.40 for 70g of RRG, but i just paid £9.39 for 500g, which will probably outlast the bike and me, but made total sense to buy that instead.

Found a good deal on Brake Cleaner Spray though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-POLYGARD-CLUTCH-or-BRAKE-CLEANER-LARGE-600ML-CANS-SPECIAL-OFFER-X-6/321874803358?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Red Rubber Grease:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVOL-RED-RUBBER-GREASE-500g-BRAKE-SEALS-MASTER-CYLINDERS/172513747387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: 29 March 2019, 08:11:15 am by darrsi »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: 29 March 2019, 06:20:55 pm »
Just had a week off work and using up my holiday, and it was a nice day yesterday, so i sat outside in the sun for a few hours cleaning up all my brake calipers and regreasing the pots after the winter period. I try and do all the calipers before and after winter to keep them in good order.

Then i cleaned off the normal engine oil i've been using on the chain, and relubed it with 90w gear oil instead. Cleaned all the shite off the rear sprocket as well, which is normally pretty dirty from everyday use.
After that i gave the whole bike a quick wash and it now looks all respectable again, until it rains again anyway.

Was just having a good look around the internet as i used up my last brake cleaner spray, and i'm getting low on red rubber grease.
Really odd that they charge about £5.40 for 70g of RRG, but i just paid £9.39 for 500g, which will probably outlast the bike and me, but made total sense to buy that instead.

Found a good deal on Brake Cleaner Spray though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-POLYGARD-CLUTCH-or-BRAKE-CLEANER-LARGE-600ML-CANS-SPECIAL-OFFER-X-6/321874803358?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Red Rubber Grease:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVOL-RED-RUBBER-GREASE-500g-BRAKE-SEALS-MASTER-CYLINDERS/172513747387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Let us know how you get on with the gear oil ;) I think it's great stuff but it depends on the type of riding you do. If you do mostly low speed urban riding, you can apply the gear oil once a week and you're sorted. If you do high speed motorway riding or big distances in one go the gear oil isn't practical because you would need to be applying it after ever trip.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 29 March 2019, 07:12:25 pm »
Like I do, stick the oil in a Scottolier  :D
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 29 March 2019, 08:51:06 pm »
Like I do, stick the oil in a Scottolier  :D
Good idea ;) Any mess from it with the gear oil? They're blood expensive aren't they? If I could find a cheap used one I'd give it a go

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 30 March 2019, 07:40:46 pm »
The genuine Scottoiler oil seemed to make far more of a mess as it was much stickier and would plaster itself all over the place and then trap all the dirt & dust.
The gear oil, being a bit less viscous and definitely not as sticky tends to fling of without adhering to things to much.
It also cleans off a lot easier as well.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 31 March 2019, 12:11:45 am »
The genuine Scottoiler oil seemed to make far more of a mess as it was much stickier and would plaster itself all over the place and then trap all the dirt & dust.
The gear oil, being a bit less viscous and definitely not as sticky tends to fling of without adhering to things to much.
It also cleans off a lot easier as well.

Does it really oil every link both sides efficiently though?
As in EVERY link, it only takes one to be missed to ruin a chain?

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: 31 March 2019, 09:22:03 am »
Mine's got the dual chain feeder on the end of the pipe which does both sides equally, all the time.
It does make a difference but you also use more oil, although that's not a bad thing I guess.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 31 March 2019, 09:51:58 am »
Mine's got the dual chain feeder on the end of the pipe which does both sides equally, all the time.
It does make a difference but you also use more oil, although that's not a bad thing I guess.

And what about when you park the bike overnight, does it drip oil from the chain?

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: 31 March 2019, 10:46:11 am »
Nope.
Without engine running and the vacuum opening the oil valve inside the Scottoiler reservoir, all oil gets held in the pipe.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: 19 April 2019, 08:41:58 pm »
  Freed off the rear brake pistons, not solid, but not far off. They're still not perfect but they'll do for now. I'll sort them properly when I replace the hoses and can pop the pistons out and give them a good clean.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 15 May 2019, 01:01:00 am »
Swapped the rotten originals for Delkevic stainless down pipes. Plenty of tea and pepsi max, procrastinating and swear words but eventually success, despite my mechanical aptitude level of pissed up chimp on crack (who rebuilt a Land-Rover once, all you needed was a lump hammer and WD-40). Was shitting it after hearing tales of snapped studs, engine out head off nightmares that I couldn't of dealt with but it went fine, inner nuts were more difficult due to the shite splashed on them with no fender extender (guess whats next on the shopping list).
Sprayed it liberally with Q10 penetrating fluid from these guys http://www.qoileurope.com I had a free sample from a while back and it worked an absolute treat, the inner two were rusty and cruddy as f@ck but came away easily [size=78%]after spraying with this stuff. [/size]
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

Cagey_Thoughts

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FJR 1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 07 June 2019, 03:34:40 pm »
Carried on the rebuild.... It's only been about 5 years.. :rolleyes . but this is the first time I've had a workshop/garage to be able to do any work in since my Daventry days....... It WILL get finished this year......

to date... New/refurbished list...

Hagon rear shox
Hagon fork springs and a fork rebuild
shims done
Downpipes
Can.. high level
All Calipers refurbished.. new pistons
Carbs refurbished
Loads of seals and bearings replaced
Loads of bits powdercoated black.. Inc.. swingarm.. fork lowers... etc..etc...
Fairing inners... mirror shells and other bits painted red....
new radiator
Only concession to 'bling'... polished torque arm with 'Fazer' inscribed in red....
Usual chain & sprox
Other bits and pieces...

Original concept was to protect the vulnerable alloy during winter commuting duties.... but it has turned into a labour of love..... (well it is when I can remember where all the hoses and wires go....!!!!! ;) )

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 13 June 2019, 12:19:36 pm »
Got the bike back on the road following front caliper rebuild: new pads, cleaned up the pistons and seals and stuck them back in with plenty of red rubber grease.

I went with SBS sintered pads after reading a fairly lengthy discussion on this forum, just had a 20 mile ride and they feel pretty good. They feel less snatchy than the old pads and certainly give more confidence in stopping power. We'll see how they chew up my discs, they're already pretty scored anyway.

Bleeding the brakes went reasonably well, I did this a little while back when I installed braided lines and the process is much smoother for me now. So this year so far it has been new brake lines + pads front and back, full caliper rebuild front and back and newly upholstered seat.

Every day I've been adding my special potion of ATF/Acetone to the exhaust bolts. Today I did it after a 20 mile ride when they were nice and hot, another tip from on here. If the heavens hadn't opened as soon as I'd done it I was tempted to see if I could crack them open. If they do open, I'll order the new exhaust, if they snap in the head I'll just go and cry.  :'(

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 13 June 2019, 12:37:32 pm »
Well, yesterday start ,finished today..Rebuilt me fzs 600 carbs ( first time I have done carbs) fantastic service from NRP carbs who found me mixture

screw set for £9 instead of Fowlers @ £37...

Fowlers !! Fitted a new tail tidy..

Gonna refit carbs to bike over the weekend :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 13 June 2019, 01:11:06 pm »
Sitting in the garage cause the weather is crap and I just cleaned it  :'( :'( :'(

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: 13 June 2019, 04:54:50 pm »
EEEK...!
I had the same dilemma as REDMANDAN....to get exhaust studs out without breaking them off in the head...
two of mine broke off.  :\ Cursed and focced for a while and then just made decision to remove engine. Not as difficult as i thought...u need a trolley jack, and a person to help, holding the end of the long engine mounting bolts while u unscrew them, anyone can do this, even a woman. Obviously this is easier if u have a shed to work in and a lift or a raised platform. I did it outside on the ground. Drilled out the old studs (carefully) and fitted nice S/S downpipes with nice new S/S studs.

A good opportunity to clean everything properly. paint some bits etc. etc.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 13 June 2019, 05:06:52 pm »
@Steve

Is it not possible to just remove the radiator and drill the studs out? It seems with the radiator removed there would be enough access no?

As you say though, the engine paint could do with a touch up, and if it’s really not so bad to take it out I’m not dreading the job too much if it comes to it.

Just seem to find less and less time to do these things nowadays. Only 30 something years till retirement....

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: 13 June 2019, 05:27:26 pm »
u have to take the rad off anyway to remove the engine...i doubt if u cud drill out broken studs even with rad out, but u cud try.
Anyway...i gather u havn't broken any studs yet...? u can use all methods to loosen them,,,including heating/cooling...tapping with hammer etc. i did all that and they still broke...! :'(

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: 13 June 2019, 07:59:18 pm »
No I haven’t tried to take them out yet. I’m Trying a few tricks to get the threads well oiled before I give it a go.