Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:33 pm

Author Topic: Starting the forks upgrade modification tomorrow...  (Read 2633 times)

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Starting the forks upgrade modification tomorrow...
« on: 12 July 2017, 12:39:10 pm »

...by following kebab's guide here: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,71.0.html

However, all pics from his last post are no longer available.
Does anyone still have them perhaps ?

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Starting the forks upgrade modification tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2017, 10:58:44 pm »
Have you needed to cut new spacers.
My Foxeye is about to undergo a fork upgrade also.

The springs I have waiting to go in are linear and 325mm long, the emu's they add 14mm, the spacer in my Foxeye is 183mm.

Std length of spring in Foxeye is 316.8mm.
So without washers added the maths say for my linear springs the spacer should need to be cut down by 22.2mm

How did it work out for you..

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2017, 10:12:23 pm »

The springs I have waiting to go in are linear and 325mm long, the emu's they add 14mm, the spacer in my Foxeye is 183mm.

So without washers added the maths say for my linear springs the spacer should need to be cut down by 22.2mm

I really wouldn't know.
Since I have no time for that, I took it to the mechanic who's gonna do the work, following kebab's guide (although he already knows what to do as he mounted emulators before).
The bike is currently waiting for new carburetor membranes, so he didn't start the forks yet but I reckon he's gonna open them on or after Monday.
Then I'll go check it out and ask him about the spacer.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2017, 10:35:04 pm »
Been away a week, apparently image hosting company Photobucket now block all pictures that you share through other websites unless you cough up about £300 per year by subscribing to their premium service(!) Don't think that'll be happening...
 I will see if I can still access / download the original thread pictures and possibly upload them again to the website through another image hosting provider...

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2017, 07:03:19 am »
Been away a week, apparently image hosting company Photobucket now block all pictures that you share through other websites unless you cough up about £300 per year by subscribing to their premium service(!) Don't think that'll be happening...
 I will see if I can still access / download the original thread pictures and possibly upload them again to the website through another image hosting provider...

:eek  they're nuts if they think anyone will be paying for that besides all the free photo hosts...
No worries if you can't access them, thanks anyway for trying!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2017, 08:52:58 am »

I'd wondered why so many pictures has vanished off forums and replaced with demands for money. I stopped using Photobucket many years ago... can't recall what they did to annoy me now, but I've been very happy with PostImage ever since.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2017, 12:21:49 pm »

They started modifying my forks today (been working on carburetor, etc.).

Racetech emulators don't sit on top of the damper rods by default. He had to grind the upper opening exactly by as much as kebab describes in his tutorial.
He grinded 1mm off in width (so it's 26mm wide now, the same as the emulator), and went 4mm deep with that width.
Allegedly Debrix emulators fit without grinding, but I wouldn't know that since I bought Racetech's.

He also bored 4 holes in total, also by following his tutorial.

He also said he'll need to shorten the (preload?) rods that came with my Ohlins linear springs in order to compensate for added height by the emulators.

He didn't mention the spacer since he didn't arrive to that step yet.

Hope this somewhat helps...

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
The upgrade was completed last Friday and I've been driving it ever since.
The forks now have:
1. Racetech emulators
2. Ohlins springs
3. 15w oil

Set to medium hardness.

This is the best upgrade I've done to my bike. The difference is huge. The bike now feels solid in front, especially under braking (I thought he did something to brakes because they feel stronger now, as it doesn't dip that much anymore), but absorbs bumps wonderfully thanks to emulators.
Really worth the money and thanks Kebab for your guide :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2017, 05:33:50 pm »
That's brilliant news, glad to hear the mod worked well for you  :)
Sorted suspension front & rear really modernise the bike

Still removing / saving my important pictures from Photobucket, so hope restore the emulator thread's pictures ...eventually  :o From the sounds of it, the thread description is still enough to be able to complete the conversion.
I note that there are a lot of blanked images on bike forums that depended on Photobucket: I expect we'll be seeing their 3rd party restriction warning for years to come!

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2017, 11:38:27 pm »
From the sounds of it, the thread description is still enough to be able to complete the conversion.

Yes it is, though the guy already mostly knew what to do as he had installed emulators before.
 :thumbup

DebtMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2017, 12:23:18 pm »

There's a kind-of workaround for this, anyone needing to see threads with photobucket images, if you use Chrome browser and add the photobucket embed fix, you can see your threads in all their suspension blinging glory.

Not found such a fix for Firefox so far and doesn't work on mobile versions either as far as I'm aware or been able to sort.

All the best
DM