Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:48 pm

Author Topic: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1  (Read 38603 times)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« Reply #75 on: 17 October 2019, 06:36:14 am »
Perfect! That is exactly what I am looking for. Talk about over and beyond!

The proposed hardware solution is perfect, the intended use case is spot on, the intended user experience is sublime, and there may even be a graphical presentation.
The way this problem is approached and kicked over the horizon is sensational.
This innovative mindset is so refreshing.

LOL, I think he's in love  :rollin :b

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 18 October 2019, 11:50:08 am »
Can you post to Ireland? There is no option to select on the form

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18 October 2019, 06:49:54 pm »
Can you post to Ireland? There is no option to select on the form

Yes can certainly ship to Ireland - will update the website form.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 24 October 2019, 05:27:39 pm »
UPDATE: Still need to get the website updated to take orders from outside UK Mainland - hopefully get this done this weekend. Have been asked numerous times now for different pictures of the unit I'm shipping on the bike - realised I don't really have enough pictures of it on the site. Problem is on my bike I've been running one of my early prototypes with the massive enclosure which I first had fabricated. So this week I've been rebuilding my TFT Dash to fit inside the new enclosures I'm shipping.

Have also been working on fabricating some covering panels which will cover up the circular cutouts that are left behind when you remove the old clocks. Will include these in the pictures also - those of you who've already ordered will be sent a set of these panels once I've finished with the design.

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 25 October 2019, 10:58:41 am »
this is shaping up nicely! toying with idea of ordering one! is there any chance of smartphone integration for google maps? I mean just mirroring smartphone screen would be enough. Don't care about calls text etc

Paul

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 25 October 2019, 07:52:22 pm »
this is shaping up nicely! toying with idea of ordering one! is there any chance of smartphone integration for google maps? I mean just mirroring smartphone screen would be enough. Don't care about calls text etc

Paul

I think Waze would be a better bet if integration is possible.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 28 October 2019, 12:33:34 pm »
Hi all,

I'm shortly going to be releasing a software update for the TFT Dash for those of you who now have one. Before I release the update, just thought I'd do a short instructional video on how to update the software & firmware on the device using a USB flash drive.

Video can be found here:
https://youtu.be/TEeIoh2bjzQ

Will let you know when the update is ready to download from the website.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2019, 12:34:42 pm by DJDLTD »

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #82 on: 01 November 2019, 12:26:40 pm »
This is an awesome project....great skill & expertise involved all the way through!
I am saving right now for mine!

Much better than the Koso unit I have now.  :)

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 05 November 2019, 04:43:17 pm »

Oh this would be SO awesome if it can happen...

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 07 November 2019, 10:35:11 am »
Great S/W update Danny, look forward to installing over the weekend.

Trouble is that my Fazer is now SORNed for the winter as it's naked and not much good in the shitty weather; I have a TDM for that :)

A few people at work noticed the TFT dash on the bike before I SORNed it and it has received nothing but positive comments, most were stunned that this was even possible.

An idea for a project update, I know rear view cams are already available, but would it be possible to integrate an image from a wide angle rear view camera onto the TFT screen maybe on the top or bottom half with the other half still showing basic info (speed, revs, warning lights and fuel level) so I can get rid of my bar end mirrors or is this something that is not feasible?

Just a thought.

If it aint broke, make it better

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11 November 2019, 08:28:45 am »
Camera integration is certainly possible. Would need to do some research and see what's possible in this area but can't see why not! Next major update I'm looking to do will be integration with smartphone for Navigation.

Any issues with the Software Update let me know.

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 11 November 2019, 08:36:00 am »
I've not tried it on the road yet as my bike is SORNed for the winter. I did do the S/W update and I like what you've done with the indictators and the temperature units, much better - thank you.
If it aint broke, make it better

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20 November 2019, 04:53:14 pm »
Would love one on my Fazer FZ8 ,nice work .
Over Land and Sea

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21 November 2019, 06:20:33 am »
Just fitted one on my Gen 1. Very easy install, brilliant piece of kit. Easy to use and understand.

I had a multigauge before this which I liked but the numbers were getting too small for me to see at night. This new dash is like watching a 65" TV in the lounge!!!

Well done Danny, keep the updates coming...……………………………...

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 21 November 2019, 09:57:58 am »
No worries so glad the install has gone well. Any issues let me know.

As a further update, one thing I've been playing around with for a while is tyre pressure sensors. You can buy tyre pressure gadgets from the likes of Amazon and eBay, so what I've been investigating more recently is the ability for the TFT Dash to show your tyre pressures using these widely available sensors.

If all goes well, those of you who now have the TFT Dash will be able to buy a 'Compatible TPMS' from Amazon and plug it into the USB port at the back of the Dash giving it the ability to display your tyre pressures (in addition to a software update I'll make available).

Bit of a way off yet, I've got a kit arriving today which I'll be tinkering around with to see if I can successfully read the data coming from the sensors.

Navigation features is also in progress although this is still a bit of a way off. Have been working on a Smartphone app which will talk to the TFT Dash via Bluetooth and communicate direction updates.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 22 November 2019, 06:28:57 am »
Will the navigation App be a specific App or would something like Waze also work as well?

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 22 November 2019, 08:40:23 am »
The Navigation app will be a specific app for the TFT Dash as it has to have knowledge of the Bluetooth connection to the TFT Dash. However it will operate much like Waze in that it will account for traffic and provide the best route much like Waze would do. If I'm not mistaken I think Google now own Waze, so I believe the underlying technology Waze uses is based on Google Maps which is what I am using in the Navigation app.

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 23 November 2019, 03:46:12 am »
Navigation features is also in progress although this is still a bit of a way off. Have been working on a Smartphone app which will talk to the TFT Dash via Bluetooth and communicate direction updates.

Can't wait..  mapping and speed camera alerts and I'll be ordering!!

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 24 November 2019, 02:22:39 pm »
The Navigation app will be a specific app for the TFT Dash as it has to have knowledge of the Bluetooth connection to the TFT Dash. However it will operate much like Waze in that it will account for traffic and provide the best route much like Waze would do. If I'm not mistaken I think Google now own Waze, so I believe the underlying technology Waze uses is based on Google Maps which is what I am using in the Navigation app.

Wouldn't it perhaps be simpler to write an app that mirrors the phone screen onto the dash? That way people can use whatever navigation app they feel like, and you don't need to worry about maintaining the app on top of everything else. Just a thought.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 26 November 2019, 02:29:57 pm »
Wouldn't it perhaps be simpler to write an app that mirrors the phone screen onto the dash? That way people can use whatever navigation app they feel like, and you don't need to worry about maintaining the app on top of everything else. Just a thought.

Would love to do it this way - unfortunately Apple quite heavily restrict what developers are allowed to do on an iPhone, so the iPhone version of the app will operate much like other Map apps do. Android phones are more open - The other issue is the Bluetooth connection, to mirror the phone's display would require a much higher speed connection (e.g. Wifi), The bluetooth connection can't handle as much data so the directional updates over bluetooth will be very specific updates, e.g. "In 3 Miles, Left Turn, Distance to Destination, Arrival Time, Traffic Delays, etc.." - it will be very similar to what KTM have done with their 'My Ride' app which essentially does the same thing with their latest TFT Dash.

The other way to do Navigation would have been to do everything on the TFT Dash, e.g. give it a GPS module and have all the maps loaded onto the device - essentially what TomTom and Garmin devices do - however going down this route will then involve getting hold of the raw map data, creating the satnav software, and also providing map updates as the data gets out of date - with that in mind the smart phone route will be the quickest and the actual navigational mapping will be done with already proven and tried technology. Hope that helps!

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 27 November 2019, 07:59:04 pm »
just fitted the dash today. Great piece of kit. Very bright as well. Thanks a mill Danny
« Last Edit: 27 November 2019, 07:59:41 pm by Krezi »

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28 November 2019, 11:29:13 am »
No worries - looks fantastic! Any queries let me know.

Just a heads up - will be temporarily suspending ordering from the website - mainly gives me time to get current orders sorted within promised times, and then I'm away in December, so I'll be switching the site to 'Pre order' mode for anyone who wants to order, I'll then be back in January and able to continue with additional orders.

However the next software update should be available before Christmas which will introduce additional Idle Fan control & Tyre Pressure monitoring, and will be compatible with the following TPMS from Amazon (actually meant for Car stereos, but it works nicely with the TFT Dash).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YBS1B6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the Christmas software update, and the above TPMS, all you do is connect the receiver to the USB port at the back of the TFT Dash - attach the LR & LF sensors in the kit to your wheels, and you'll have tyre pressure readings (+ warnings if your tyres go outside your set pressure range).

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 28 November 2019, 02:48:08 pm »

You know best - you're the expert! And given what you've done with the dash so far, I have no doubt whatever you come up with for the mapping will be totally kickass  ;)

Would love to do it this way - unfortunately Apple quite heavily restrict what developers are allowed to do on an iPhone, so the iPhone version of the app will operate much like other Map apps do. Android phones are more open - The other issue is the Bluetooth connection, to mirror the phone's display would require a much higher speed connection (e.g. Wifi), The bluetooth connection can't handle as much data so the directional updates over bluetooth will be very specific updates, e.g. "In 3 Miles, Left Turn, Distance to Destination, Arrival Time, Traffic Delays, etc.." - it will be very similar to what KTM have done with their 'My Ride' app which essentially does the same thing with their latest TFT Dash.

The other way to do Navigation would have been to do everything on the TFT Dash, e.g. give it a GPS module and have all the maps loaded onto the device - essentially what TomTom and Garmin devices do - however going down this route will then involve getting hold of the raw map data, creating the satnav software, and also providing map updates as the data gets out of date - with that in mind the smart phone route will be the quickest and the actual navigational mapping will be done with already proven and tried technology. Hope that helps!

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 25 December 2019, 10:35:18 am »
It would be nice, as I seen that the display is very bright, to dim itself at night time :)

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 26 December 2019, 05:49:09 pm »
It would be nice, as I seen that the display is very bright, to dim itself at night time :)

that's what it does! There is brightness sensor there