Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:54 pm

Author Topic: Focer font of knowledge Cycling  (Read 4813 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Focer font of knowledge Cycling
« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2020, 11:47:19 am »

+1 for the 3in1 oil. I used that for years on Sturmey Archer hub gears with no problems at all. Just the right viscosity I'd say and easy to apply through the lubricating orifice ( :lol ) with the can nozzle tip.

You're lucky it's the 3 speed hub and not the 5 speed. 3 speed was superb, but 5 speed best avoided imho.
Yes its 3 - just like my old chopper,  :)
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 June 2020, 03:18:45 pm »
The old folding bike is almost done but now I have another bike to do. Its an apollo Abyis full suspension bike. I ave had it from new but not ridden it for years it needs a new tyres but on looking I see the back is 26x1.95 but the front is 26x2.10 ?? I must of fitted them but cant remember. So which is the correct tyre. The width of the rims is 26mm.     
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 03:25:58 pm by fazersharp »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 June 2020, 03:32:10 pm »
The old folding bike is almost done but now I have another bike to do. Its an apollo Abyis full suspension bike. I ave had it from new but not ridden it for years it needs a new tyres but on looking I see the back is 26x1.95 but the front is 26x2.10 ?? I must of fitted them but cant remember. So which is the correct tyre. The width of the rims is 26mm.   

Its quite normal for the front tyre on a mountain bike to be wider than the rear 👍

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 June 2020, 03:58:20 pm »

Its quite normal for the front tyre on a mountain bike to be wider than the rear 👍
Oh I see. So there is no harm in me fitting a pair both 26x1.95. The ones on it now apart from being perished are really knobly and I wont be doing that kind of riding so been looking at the Schwalbe  City Jet Classic Skin Tyres 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 June 2020, 04:57:08 pm »
If you’re not doing too much off road, then the pair you mentioned will be fine. Most of my cycling is off road, so need the slightly bigger front footprint to stop the front from washing out so much.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 June 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
If you’re not doing too much off road, then the pair you mentioned will be fine. Most of my cycling is off road, so need the slightly bigger front footprint to stop the front from washing out so much.
Thanks. Without taking the tire off right now and looking if the front is 2.10 and it has a 2.10 tube - would a 1.95 tyre be ok on it.

Also what are peoples thoughts on the need to also change the inertubes purely down to age and the fact the bike has sat with flat tyres for a few years.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 June 2020, 11:03:28 pm »
I’d expect both of your tubes to be the same irrespective of the difference in tyre width front to back. The 1.95 on the front will be fine. Personally I’d fit new tubes as they’re cheap enough. When you fit the tyre(s) make sure the bead is seated properly. My 29er seems to take several inflate/deflate operations to get the tyre seated properly.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 July 2020, 12:30:04 pm »
I’d expect both of your tubes to be the same irrespective of the difference in tyre width front to back. The 1.95 on the front will be fine. Personally I’d fit new tubes as they’re cheap enough. When you fit the tyre(s) make sure the bead is seated properly. My 29er seems to take several inflate/deflate operations to get the tyre seated properly.
Thanks, yes I see now that tubes are sold with a measurement of  1.75 1.95 2.00 ( thought they were separate sizes and you pick the one you want  :o

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 July 2020, 07:23:02 pm »
Ok the next one for you all, what's with these glueless patches, was going to buy a puncture kit in asda and it had glueless patches, didn't buy it cause I was scared of them :lol . Also is a £2 kit in asda going to be rubbish.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2020, 07:32:41 pm »
I don’t bother repairing them any more and just carry a spare tube for the price of them.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 July 2020, 07:46:28 pm »
I don’t bother repairing them any more and just carry a spare tube for the price of them.
Hmmm there is that - but before long I will need the car for all the extra stuff. :lol

Are those glueless patches any good.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 July 2020, 07:47:37 pm »
I always use Rema Tip Top solution and patches. Never found anything better. Not cheap, but I sometimes find them at the car boot sale. Got a box of about 100 patches a while ago for a couple of quid. Bargain.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 July 2020, 07:52:44 pm »
I always use Rema Tip Top solution and patches. Never found anything better. Not cheap, but I sometimes find them at the car boot sale. Got a box of about 100 patches a while ago for a couple of quid. Bargain.
Hows this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMA-TIP-TOP-12-BICYCLE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-TYRE-INNER-TUBE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-GLUE/220965019778?epid=1888185801&hash=item33728aa082:g:-0wAAOSwr~lYpHCI&redirect=mobile

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 July 2020, 08:23:15 pm »
Hmmm there is that - but before long I will need the car for all the extra stuff. :lol

On that front I use one of these, brilliant for carrying a few little tools and a puncture repair kit. I also stick my keys (and occasionally a protein bar) in there too. Handy because its completely out of sight and out the way

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353105872139

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 July 2020, 09:18:29 pm »

On that front I use one of these, brilliant for carrying a few little tools and a puncture repair kit. I also stick my keys (and occasionally a protein bar) in there too. Handy because its completely out of sight and out the way

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353105872139
yeh think I need one of those

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 July 2020, 09:23:10 pm »
is there any reason why I should not buy a £3.25 tube from asda, £

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #41 on: 04 July 2020, 07:02:45 am »
is there any reason why I should not buy a £3.25 tube from asda, £

From my experience:
Even the cheapest "Chinese" tubes do the job.
However, Schwalbe tubes seem to hold air best of all - that is, require the least frequent topping up (pumping up).

They also have good quality rubber, so even after 5, or 10 years, they are still OK and can be patched when punctured (Rema Tip-Top is by far the best for this).

Expensive? Yes - around double the price of the Chinese, if not higher. But 3 tubes last around 10 years, or longer. I just put the spare one into the tyre, and patch the punctured one, delegating it to being a spare tube.  :)

A thing I really don't like is when a tube has rubber valve stem. It can get cut on the rim sometimes, and it's more difficult to hold in place when inflating a flat tyre (no steel nut that holds the valve from dropping through the valve hole).
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 July 2020, 10:11:58 am »
Thanks for the tube help tips. Think I will do the same with the spares. And thanks to yamfazfan I have got myself a tip top kit this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMA-TIP-TOP-TYRE-INNER-TUBE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-TT02-BICYCLE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-NEW/222106267047?hash=item33b690ada7:g:yaUAAOSwnHZYcOJ7
I was expecting it to come loose in a bag but it came in a little green plastic box nice and small. And it came within  24 hours - first time since lockdown any post has arrived in a timely manner.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 July 2020, 11:13:22 am »
I generally just pick a few tubes up from decathlon but always go for presta valves with metal stems as mentioned. I’ve got a cheap track pump from Aldi which works well.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 July 2020, 12:07:49 pm »
Thanks trebus. Brings me nicely to my next questions, bike pumps. I have one that fits nicely on my vintage fold up bike using a bottom spike and wedging the springy handle in the top frame.
The thread in the pump is plastic and about knackered, could do with one with a metal thread.

I see mini pumps and all kinds. But need to be able to pump shredder and woods valve, I already have the adapters.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 July 2020, 01:15:44 pm »
I take a mini 2 shot pump, which pumps on both strokes, or sparklets and a dispenser. I usually wear a rucksack with my spare tube and cable lock in it, so taking loose stuff isn't a problem.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 July 2020, 10:29:31 pm »
Ok something else. My vintage fold up bike should have white wall tyres but I either did not want to pay or couldn't find any. Now I have fitted new black ones I would quite like white wall, anyone know of or used rubber paint that I could use.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 07 July 2020, 07:52:15 am »
You certainly could buy whitewall rubber paint in years gone buy. I remember doing the tyres on my Mk2 lowline Zodiac, but that was back in 1968. It looked a right tart’s handbag though :lol .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 07 July 2020, 09:51:58 am »
You certainly could buy whitewall rubber paint in years gone buy. I remember doing the tyres on my Mk2 lowline Zodiac, but that was back in 1968. It looked a right tart’s handbag though :lol .
I will do a bit of googling its about 15mm deep on a 20inch tyre. I have come across pens via google that seem to work but only good enough to spam up lettering before they run out.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 July 2020, 11:25:04 am »
Ok something else. My vintage fold up bike should have white wall tyres but I either did not want to pay or couldn't find any. Now I have fitted new black ones I would quite like white wall, anyone know of or used rubber paint that I could use.

You could do.... just make sure they don't look as bad as these ones i spotted at my local bike meet 😳🤣