Date: 24-04-24  Time: 21:26 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1602120 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8175 on: 08 April 2020, 08:23:54 am »
Glad you're pleased with the Airman darrsi. I've an idea it is the choice of a few car manufacturers as part of the cars puncture outfit, in lieu of a spare wheel. It's also the one chosen to be in the Touratech catalogue, which is a positive endorsement. Happy, puncture free, days :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: 08 April 2020, 08:59:20 am »
Free tin of pop too, that's even better than a key ring 👍

Rob Price

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: 08 April 2020, 09:17:59 am »
Added some more Penetrating Oil to my exup valve bolts ,and header nuts ,incase it needs to come off ........

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: 08 April 2020, 09:30:41 am »
Free tin of pop too, that's even better than a key ring 👍

:lol
I couldn't judge how big the item was when i was buying it, and was pleasantly surprised when the delivery bloke handed it to me in a cardboard box that was half the size i was expecting, so i thought the can might put things more in perspective for anyone else.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: 08 April 2020, 12:45:15 pm »
Glad you're pleased with the Airman darrsi. I've an idea it is the choice of a few car manufacturers as part of the cars puncture outfit, in lieu of a spare wheel. It's also the one chosen to be in the Touratech catalogue, which is a positive endorsement. Happy, puncture free, days :thumbup

***Contacted them and the catalogue is free, even though the order receipt suggests a possible charge.

FREE Catalogue with FREE Delivery as well  :thumbup 

https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/touratech-catalog-2020-english.html
« Last Edit: 08 April 2020, 01:04:20 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: 08 April 2020, 03:47:00 pm »
Just received a quick connect fuel fitting for my Triumph. Ordered from Adventure Bike Shop, and wondered why the package was so big and heavy, the free Touratech catalogue was the culprit.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: 08 April 2020, 06:38:01 pm »
Yes Touratech catalogue is useful for placing on the pillion seat, if you want to raise the front wheel  :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8182 on: 08 April 2020, 10:02:41 pm »
Had a try of the new air pump yesterday.
What a lovely bit of useful kit that is. Everything about it was better than the previous one i tried.
The end of the pipe screws onto the valve, rather than faffing about with the push on lever type,

I bought a similar mini-pump that also had the "screw on" connection, but I found that the 90 degree valves I'd had installed to replace the OEM valves (to make it easier to get the air hose onto them) had had the threads worn down over the course of about 12 years and the screw connector wouldn't bite on them!

Fortunately a replacement set wasn't that expensive and now it works fine :thumbup

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: 12 April 2020, 12:56:38 pm »
Gave the  exup valve its annual Good hiding with the copper slip , noticed one of the cables had a couple of frayed strands near the nipple , something to keep a eye on but other than that all good  :)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8184 on: 12 April 2020, 01:50:06 pm »
The FZS was running on 2 cylinders (#2&3). Ignition coils seemed OK so I pulled the carbs out and found loads of crap in the bowls and slightly blocked jets.. Carnbs back in.
Still running on same 2 cylinders so pulled the carbs again and cleaned the fuel gallery out. A bit of crap blocking the rail.. Carbs back in.
Now running on 3 1/2 with fuel overflowing from #3. Carbs out again. Float valves cleaned and resealed. Carbs back in.
Now running on 4 but notice a small drip under carb #3. Touch teh pipe with a screwdriver to collect the drip to check if its fuel or coolant and now I have coolant spraying everywhere from a perished carb heater hose. Those feccin carbs are not coming out again in the near future so I will bypass the carb heater circuit for now. I never ride in cold damp conditions normally anyway,
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: 12 April 2020, 04:46:48 pm »
The FZS was running on 2 cylinders (#2&3). Ignition coils seemed OK so I pulled the carbs out and found loads of crap in the bowls and slightly blocked jets.. Carnbs back in.
Still running on same 2 cylinders so pulled the carbs again and cleaned the fuel gallery out. A bit of crap blocking the rail.. Carbs back in.
Now running on 3 1/2 with fuel overflowing from #3. Carbs out again. Float valves cleaned and resealed. Carbs back in.
Now running on 4 but notice a small drip under carb #3. Touch teh pipe with a screwdriver to collect the drip to check if its fuel or coolant and now I have coolant spraying everywhere from a perished carb heater hose. Those feccin carbs are not coming out again in the near future so I will bypass the carb heater circuit for now. I never ride in cold damp conditions normally anyway,

That's a pain mate but what happens over time, the rubber gets hardened, when you then flex it, it will crack/split.

The biggest way to prevent the crabs blocking is to, run the bike and turn off the fuel until it stops before laying up over winter.  Don't pull it out ever couple weeks and start it either, this just encourages condensation, in the crankcase and shortens oil life. 

Just keep the battery charged and leave it alone, roll it out in spring, turn the fuel back on hit the starter  ;) :)

I've been doing the very same to mine for years, I took my Fazer off the road once for almost 5 yrs, I did the above, rolled it out and started it.  I didn't even change the fuel, there're too many myths out there.

Now the above will only apply if the bike is garaged and out of the weather.   
Later

Choppa

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: 13 April 2020, 04:53:28 pm »
Fork seals and oil replaced

Choke cable was jammed so lubed it and clutch cable while I was on.

Prayed for lock down to be over so I can ride the damm thing :rolleyes

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8187 on: 13 April 2020, 05:35:20 pm »
I took my Fazer off the road once for almost 5 yrs, I did the above, rolled it out and started it.  I didn't even change the fuel, there're too many myths out there.

I am certain that fuel is the issue these days. My original FZS600 would sit for 2-3 months without even a triclke charge and start on the button. That was 15 years ago though.
The current FZS had been stood for a number of years and the carbs were not gummed up. Leave it now for a couple of months and they start to gum up. The difference now is the amount of ethanol in the fuel that was never there before.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: 13 April 2020, 06:17:23 pm »
Leave it now for a couple of months and they start to gum up. The difference now is the amount of ethanol in the fuel that was never there before.

True that's why you must run the engine until it dies, that way most of the fuel is out of the carbs, which leaves almost nothing to separate and gum up.   :thumbup  The fuel remaining in the tank, with current fuel may well not behave like it did 15 yrs ago.  Personally if I'm going to store a bike for more than a winter I run the bike until it's well into reserve, then do as above, top up with fresh and away it will go.  For over winter, I don't bother, just run dry and leave it, all my bikes started first press back in early March, before all this virus thing.   :thumbup

Later

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: 13 April 2020, 07:36:24 pm »

4 deg ignition advancer fitted, cam chain guide pin fitted (MIA - never had the cover off before and cannot see any evidence of where it may have gone!), valve clearances checked, oil & filter changed, new fuel filter fitted, carbs off, cleaned and refitted, new inlet rubbers fitted, crap cleaned off the front of the engine, new radiator fitted (new coolant put in) and a new Black Widow exhaust fitted - not all in one day I hasten to add.
 :lol :lol :lol :lol
 - so apart from a good clean, the Thou is ready to go.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8190 on: 15 April 2020, 07:18:49 pm »
Cajnt see me getting out on the fazer until at last autumn, too many high riskers in the immediate family. So, tank up, and battery on maintenance charge for the forseeable. Such a shame, smashing weather and empty roads.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8191 on: 16 April 2020, 12:32:45 am »
Scared the FOC out of myself, without even being on it!

I'm planning on replacing the brake lines with braided ones, so I'd taken some pictures to let me look at the setup at my leisure without needing to be out in the shed.

I was looking at one pic on my screen which was of the front brakes, taken from the left hand side of the bike looking through the wheel, when I suddenly noticed a *massive* crack on the inside of the right caliper!!!   :eek

WTF?! I'd been riding up until the start of the Lockdown, how the hell had that happened? Jesus, was the bloody thing even safe??

I dashed outside and started trying to figure out where this could be, but couldn't see a thing...

... until, eventually, after moving around and zooming the pic on my phone etc to get it matched up with what I was looking at, I noticed a line that appeared to be the same shape as the crack.

It turns out there's a "lip" on the inside of the caliper and, because I'd used flash, it had cast a shadow which, in the photo looked like a crack...!

PHEW!!!  :o

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: 16 April 2020, 07:27:39 pm »
Started stripping mine down to give it a good thorough deep clean and do some light maintenance. Removed the headlight assembly, all the mudgaurds, belly pan, radiator covers etc  so they can be washed in the bucket then removed the full exhaust system (studs came off with ease... yearly copper greaseing proving its worth) so now I can give that a good buff and polish. Finally got the lambda sensor out of the downpipes and replaced it with a blanking bolt.
Waiting on the new brake parts to arrive so I can service them. In the meantime I'll be out there with a toothbrush cleaning out all the little crevices that I can't usually reach and looking for any corrosion.
All in all a productive day

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: 17 April 2020, 06:14:38 pm »
Increased my jack-up from 25 to 50 mm. Fitted an SW Motech Evo tank ring/tank bag. Don't know why. Ain't going anywhere :lol .

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: 17 April 2020, 06:34:50 pm »
Replaced all the brake lines on the 600 with oem.
Washed and polished the 1000. Must wash and polish the 600 tomorrow if its dry

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: 18 April 2020, 11:50:40 am »
Started stripping mine down to give it a good thorough deep clean and do some light maintenance. Removed the headlight assembly, all the mudgaurds, belly pan, radiator covers etc  so they can be washed in the bucket then removed the full exhaust system (studs came off with ease... yearly copper greaseing proving its worth) so now I can give that a good buff and polish. Finally got the lambda sensor out of the downpipes and replaced it with a blanking bolt.
Waiting on the new brake parts to arrive so I can service them. In the meantime I'll be out there with a toothbrush cleaning out all the little crevices that I can't usually reach and looking for any corrosion.
All in all a productive day

What benefit do you get blanking off the Lambda sensor ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: 18 April 2020, 01:03:52 pm »
Replaced all the brake lines on the 600 with oem.
Washed and polished the 1000. Must wash and polish the 600 tomorrow if its dry

Dam it I am just about to replace my 22 year old rear brake line --- I could of sold it to you.  :pokefun
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: 18 April 2020, 01:07:43 pm »
Finally got the lambda sensor out of the downpipes and replaced it with a blanking bolt.

It stops this
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: 18 April 2020, 01:47:16 pm »

My sensor has been disconnected from the ecu end ever since I fitted the power commander. If not then it interferes with the custom map as it still sends the air fuel ratio back to the ecu which in turn overrides the PC.

I fitted a closed loop plug to the ECU end at the same time I fitted the PC but the exhaust end was partially seized and I couldn't get it out so I just left it as didn't seem to matter.
What I then realised when it came to removing the headers was that I couldnt get them more have 20cms away from the bike as the lambda sensor and cable were still attached.
I'd tried various times to remove it with no joy as the only thing I could get to it with was a 22mm open ended spanner which just wouldnt budge it 😔

So this time after trying again I decided to just cut the wire, move the downpipes onto my workbench then grind the sensor in half which allowed me to use a deep socket over the top.
Needless to say that worked perfectly so it was just a case of finding a bolt to fit the old hole. Funnily enough I still had a brand new sump plug (with copper washer) from on of my old 125cc bikes that fit perfectly 👍

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8199 on: 19 April 2020, 06:52:02 pm »
Bypassed the carb heaters, changed the plugs and gave it an oil change before giving it a quick wash and polish. This is on top of the carb cleaning and balancing done last week.

Just need lockdown to finish so I can get out and ride it now.