Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:18 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 2nd Generation Brakes upgrade  (Read 5739 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 2nd Generation Brakes upgrade
« Reply #25 on: 07 July 2020, 01:26:06 pm »
has caused agitation of the fluid by shaking, over pumping or just bad practice, you'll get micro bubbles.
Contextually I don't grasp how or why would someone would do this, the ABS unit would be bolted to the bike. But with regard to over-pumping, how exactly..?

• Just bleed the system as normal but slowly and deliberately, gravity is your friend here, so is a good vacuum bleeder with experience and skill. 
  • Brakes aren't DIY if you don't know what you're doing, many think they do until they get on a bike with proper bled brakes.
  • I have one of those, but either I didn't take enough time bleeding the brakes or need to understand exactly how and where I was using it incorrectly.
  • I assume your referring to ABS-based bracking systems? as non-ABS is DIY imho and should well within the scope of most competent home mechanics.
And regarding mechanics that say they know how to bleed an ABS systems, how do we tell they actually do know and aren't like in my 2x instances where they  didnt.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 July 2020, 01:55:52 pm »
has caused agitation of the fluid by shaking, over pumping or just bad practice, you'll get micro bubbles.
Contextually I don't grasp how or why would someone would do this, the ABS unit would be bolted to the bike. But with regard to over-pumping, how exactly..?

• Just bleed the system as normal but slowly and deliberately, gravity is your friend here, so is a good vacuum bleeder with experience and skill. 
  • Brakes aren't DIY if you don't know what you're doing, many think they do until they get on a bike with proper bled brakes.
  • I have one of those, but either I didn't take enough time bleeding the brakes or need to understand exactly how and where I was using it incorrectly.
  • I assume your referring to ABS-based bracking systems? as non-ABS is DIY imho and should well within the scope of most competent home mechanics.
And regarding mechanics that say they know how to bleed an ABS systems, how do we tell they actually do know and aren't like in my 2x instances where they  didnt.

Mate the questions you're asking are exactly why brakes aren't DIY.  I'm sorry but most home mechanics are just getting away with it, I'm not entering into an argument here, or trying to disrespect people.  :)  I've seen hundreds of examples of DIY on brakes and it's frightening.  :eek :rolleyes

I'm happy to help but too a point, what you can never underestimate is, experience and skill, that can't be learnt via internet forums. 

If your brakes are spongy after they've been worked on by a professional who you've paid, take the bike back and give him/them an opportunity to correct the work.  If they refuse demand you money back, don't go trying to sort it yourself.           
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2020, 02:09:50 pm »
cable-tie the brake lever back to the bar for 2 evenings.
Here is a video of a guy doing exactly the same thing -

https://youtu.be/kvIxxgvllLA

And another video about bleeding ABS motorcycle brakes, who mentions the Syringe and the cable-tie methods -

https://youtu.be/1iSN2vc5-b0

If your brakes are spongy after they've been worked on by a professional who you've paid, take the bike back and give him/them an opportunity to correct the work.  If they refuse demand you money back, don't go trying to sort it yourself.
As Ive mentioned, been there done that. And in the end, there was no choice - I had to do it myself. But I appreciate what your saying and also don't want to get into a bargy about it.

@Bikebud, let us know once you get the brakes bled and how etc.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2020, 10:23:50 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 July 2020, 02:59:38 pm »
As Ive mentioned, been there done that. And in the end, there was no choice - I had to do it myself.

I don't understand, if you paid for someone to bleed you brakes and they were spongy, why was there no choice?
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 July 2020, 10:23:27 pm »
I don't understand, if you paid for someone to bleed you brakes and they were spongy, why was there no choice?
In both instances the bike was my only form of transport, so it needed to be working, hence why I ended up fixing it myself. And had I not being able to fix it myself, it would have gone back for said shop/s to do the job.

And only because it was brought up a few posts ago, as bleeding the brakes was only part of the work being done. I did get a reduction in the bill due to the brakes being spongy in both instances.

But as the cable-tie method work both times and has always worked in the past, I will continue to plan ahead when working on a brake systems so I can use said method as a backup plan.
Back on topic, lets wait and see how Bikebud gets on with his bike.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 July 2020, 08:54:44 am »
In both instances the bike was my only form of transport, so it needed to be working, hence why I ended up fixing it myself. And had I not being able to fix it myself, it would have gone back for said shop/s to do the job.

And only because it was brought up a few posts ago, as bleeding the brakes was only part of the work being done. I did get a reduction in the bill due to the brakes being spongy in both instances.

But as the cable-tie method work both times and has always worked in the past, I will continue to plan ahead when working on a brake systems so I can use said method as a backup plan.
Back on topic, lets wait and see how Bikebud gets on with his bike.

What I find very puzzling, is you went somewhere else and they did they exactly the same.  It's a matter for you mate but something is very wrong here, one getting it wrong but two?  Chances are there's something else at fault here.  I would in all seriousness suggest you get your system properly inspected either you've been extremely unlucky or there's another issue, spongy brakes will not correct themselves and will only get worse over time, depending on how you ride and the way ABS works, it can speed up the process.   

What you've not said is, were they spongy before the bike went in for whatever it went in for, service I assume. Or did they came out spongy after they'd worked on it?  Brake bleeding/fluid change isn't a annual task just inspection, on a GSF it's replace every 24mths, is the fluid past 24mths?

Personally if that was my bike it would have gone back within minutes of riding the bike and I'd have insisted they were re-bled, as the bike was given back to you in an unsafe manner.  As such they would be required to either correct it at once or supply you with a bike or cover costs until such time as they could correct the work.  If they refuse, trading standards and take the bike elsewhere, then sue them through the small claims court for the corrective work and any bike/car hire and public transport expense if any. Most stealers would have just rebled them it's not worth the aggro as bad brake work isn't defensible.  In my experience even the worst stealers start taking notice once you start politely pointing out their legal responsibilities certainly when they get contacted by either trading standards, solicitor or summons from the court, the vast majority pay up almost instantly.
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 July 2020, 10:36:25 am »
  • What I find very puzzling, is you went somewhere else and they did they exactly the same.  It's a matter for you mate but something is very wrong here, one getting it wrong but two?  Chances are there's something else at fault here.  I would in all seriousness suggest you get your system properly inspected either you've been extremely unlucky or there's another issue,
  • spongy brakes will not correct themselves and will only get worse over time, depending on how you ride and the way ABS works, it can speed up the process.   
  • What you've not said is, were they spongy before the bike went in for whatever it went in for, service I assume. Or did they came out spongy after they'd worked on it?  Brake bleeding/fluid change isn't a annual task just inspection, on a GSF it's replace every 24mths, is the fluid past 24mths?
  • Personally if that was my bike it would have gone back within minutes of riding the bike and I'd have insisted they were re-bled, as the bike was given back to you in an unsafe manner.
  • Different bikes, different shops and a few years apart.
  • Agreed, hence using the cable-tie method.
  • On the 1200 no, its was a complete service of the calipers. And on the 1250 its braided hose kit front and back. So in both instances the calipers would have been removed etc.
  • The brakes in both instances were save enough to ride home, as in I was getting enough lever travel and braking power/perf.
I thought I mentioned I got a reduction in my bill each time, said amount was roughly the labour on the brake bleeding. So like Dudeofrude, its a how valuable is my time versus how much hassle do I want to deal with. It was easier for me to ride home, do the CT method overnight, during the next day, then overnight again and bobs yer uncle. The 1250 only took a single overnight application of the CT method, I assume due to it having braided hoses.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 10:40:51 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 July 2020, 10:37:34 am »
I bought a 2012 FZ1 S ABS a few weeks ago. I'm loving the bike, but not very impressed with the brakes.
Got an update for us fella..?

Bikebud

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 July 2020, 08:54:48 am »
Update:

Also another thing to try and I had to do this on my ABS Bandit GSF 1250 after it was serviced by a shop was pump and cable-tie the brake lever back to the bar for 2 evenings. The brakes on my 1250 are now as sharp as the brakes were on my FZS.
[/size]

I've done the cable tie method and it has certainly made an improvement to the brakes. I pumped and tied the lever for about 10 hours, and noticed that it got a bit firmer, and did it again for about 48 hrs, and the lever is much firmer now, I got a more instant response abd better feel, and the lever doesnt pull all the way in. It seems the mechanic who serviced the bike before i bought it, did a terrible job bleeding it.
Thanks for the tip b1k3rdude.

Gnasher, I got what you are saying. I'm defnitely a novice DIYer, and brakes are not something I'm ready to mess with. I just needed a quick improvement to the brakes, before I take it to a professional to install  braded lines and hopefully bleed it properly this time. But this will have to wait till winter. The brakes are good enough now.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 July 2020, 10:33:52 am »
I've done the cable tie method and it has certainly made an improvement to the brakes. I pumped and tied the lever for about 10 hours, and noticed that it got a bit firmer, and did it again for about 48 hrs, and the lever is much firmer now, I got a more instant response and better feel, and the lever doesn't pull all the way in.

It seems the mechanic who serviced the bike before i bought it, did a terrible job bleeding it.
Nice to know this trick now works on another bike with ABS, so for me thats GSF1200/1250 & FZ1. If you use a re-usable cable tie you could just do it for a 1/2 more nights and get it as solid as possible.

Yes and no, thats 4 (3 for me) different shops all have issues bleeding the brakes on an ABS bike. Seems shop mechanics can learn from us home Diyr's.
 Back to your calipers, did the previous mechanic do a full service on them? as in remove & clean the seals(check if any needed replacing), polish the pistons and give brake pad bay a once over with a brass brush? I ask because when I got mine done on the 1250 it made a massive improvement to the feel of the front brake.

Bikebud

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
Unfortunately I dont know exactly what the mechanic had done. I put a deposit on the bike just before the lockdown, on the condition that it gets a full service before I buy it. Lockdown happened and communication with them became difficult, so evently I had the bike delivered to me (without seeing it), and the guy who had serviced was still not back to work, so they could not confirm the exact work that was done, and had no service sheet.

At least they did confirm that they checked the vave clearance :)

I think all what they did on the brakes was replace pads and fluid, but not a full service. That will have be a winter project.