Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:46 am

Author Topic: FZ1 Cracked frame question  (Read 2623 times)

Falex

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1 Cracked frame question
« on: 14 May 2020, 08:44:21 pm »
Hello all,

My 07 FZ1 has the same issue that has plagued a few FZ1s, a cracked factory weld in the frame. I'm going to try my luck with Yamaha as the bikes only done 12k miles and is in very good condition, but seeing as it's 13 years old, I expect they'll tell me to do one, I've seen a number of guys have managed getting the work done in the US, but don't know if anyone has had any luck in the UK with that?

Alternatively, I'll get the original weld ground down and the frame rewelded. Can anyone shed some light on if this can be done with the engine in place? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask just in case anyone on here has managed it. I'm planning on stripping it myself, but would like an idea of how big of a job it'll be and what needs to come off.

Thanks,

tnfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Cracked frame question
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2020, 08:33:40 am »
My advice is to keep the pressure on Yamaha. Make yourself such a (polite) nuisance that they'll replace it just to get rid of you. A frame is not a regularly replaced part, 13 years is well within normal use age of a motorcycle, and the issue is well-known factory defect.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2020, 06:19:21 pm »
I would agree with tnfazer, keep after them. When the Sprocket shaft on my 600 completely gave up its threads at 72000 miles and 9 years old I got the all the parts to repair it for less than half price. I had to push them a bit but they finally agreed to a compromise.
Your comprise is give me the frame and I will do it, but that would be a "final" gesture on your behalf.
If the break had caused an accident they would have been ultimately responsible.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2020, 07:57:25 pm »
If the break had caused an accident they would have been ultimately responsible.
That's what I would start with.
On the subject of these created frames on the FZ1, was it only the 2007 that suffered from them..? Is there a point/year where -

• there are no more reports of a cracked frame.
  • flywheel magnets coming of the flywheel.
  • bad fueling.
  • And what ever else the FZ1 suffers from..?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2020, 08:14:41 pm »
On the subject of these created frames on the FZ1, was it only the 2007 that suffered from them..? Is there a point/year where
Just found this site -

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Yamaha/FZ1/problems-recalls-complaints

Is there a UK/Euro alternative to the above site that anyone is aware of..?
« Last Edit: 24 June 2020, 08:16:54 pm by b1k3rdude »

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2020, 04:40:01 pm »
That's what I would start with.
On the subject of these created frames on the FZ1, was it only the 2007 that suffered from them..? Is there a point/year where -

• there are no more reports of a cracked frame.
  • flywheel magnets coming of the flywheel.
  • bad fueling.
  • And what ever else the FZ1 suffers from..?

I found a fair amount of reports of 2006 and 2007 models with cracked frames , it is generally thought that that this problem effected only these two years before Yamaha changed their welding practices. Its why i avoided 06/07 to be honest. I also checked i wasnt buying a 06/07 bike on an 08 plate!

The US site has this tread of reports, all 2006/2007

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82459

I believe the rotors were changed in 2011 ish but its easy to update older models with a newer part - a cheaper pattern is now available from rm stator.

Bad fueling was apparently improved in 2007 and again a few years later, Ive got to say ive never noticed any fuelling issues on my standard (apart from end can) 2008

Im by no means an expert but generally the fz doesnt seem to suffer with problems any more or less than any other bikes ive owned. Im sure if any of the above is incorrect someone will be along to correct me!

« Last Edit: 25 June 2020, 05:44:24 pm by albuquerqueturkey »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2020, 05:48:38 pm »

Bad fueling was apparently improved in 2007 and again a few years later, Ive got to say ive never noticed any fuelling issues on my standard (apart from end can) 2008

I don't believe the fuelling was that bad for most normal riding, I think the complaints were more centred around the 'fuel cut off' which occurs after 5000rpm. If you come off the throttle above that rev range the bike completely shuts off the injectors then when you get back on it there is a noticeable delay before the power comes back which is really annoying and frankly quote dangerous mid bend etc
Its particularly noticeable if your slow at changing gears, you let off the throttle, change up, and then subconciously you lean into the bike to compensate for the acceleration but your met with a half second delay followed by the unexpected boost. Its almost like being a pillion haha
I believe to compensate on later bike Yamaha played with the timing of the cut off to try and dampen the effect but in all honesty the only thing that has ever worked is to turn it off completely. It's just another stupid Euro 3/4/5/6 (whatever were up to these days) emissions thing. Saying that every modern bike does the same thing but Yamaha just seem incapable of getting it right. I've even heard its still an issue with the MT09 and MT10 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2020, 09:43:59 pm »
Bad fueling was apparently improved in 2007 and again a few years later, Ive got to say I've never noticed any fuelling issues on my standard (apart from end can) 2008
From the research I have been doing over the last 24hrs it was the 2010 model that address the fueling issue/s completely. I have yest to test ride a bike so I cant be 100% sure.
I don't believe the fuelling was that bad for most normal riding, I think the complaints were more centred around the 'fuel cut off' which occurs after 5000rpm. If you come off the throttle above that rev range the bike completely shuts off the injectors then when you get back on it there is a noticeable delay before the power comes back which is really annoying and frankly quote dangerous mid bend etc.
Well its the first thing I am going to look out for when I test ride an FZ1.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2020, 09:09:44 am »
My 07 FZ1 has the same issue that has plagued a few FZ1s, a cracked factory weld in the frame. I'm going to try my luck with Yamaha as the bikes only done 12k miles and is in very good condition, but seeing as it's 13 years old, I expect they'll tell me to do one.
@Falex, how are you getting on with this..?