Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:37 pm

Author Topic: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1  (Read 38602 times)

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
Re: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« Reply #50 on: 24 September 2019, 04:57:58 pm »
As promised (although a bit later than planned) - here's a pic of 'compact' unit. The one I've been running on my bike is my prototype with the rather large enclosure and bezel. This the redesigned enclosure which has now been assembled - components fitted in nicely. In addition to road testing my prototype really to nail down the accuracy of the MPG and Range displays, I'm also providing a mechanism by which these can receive software updates via USB. This now means any new features and potential software / firmware fixes will be available on the website, and all you'll have to do is download the update file onto a USB flash drive, insert into the provided USB slot on the TFT Dash and switch on your ignition. The flash drive will be detected and the update will be recognised and will automatically update both the software & firmware on the device. All you then have to do is remove the flash drive and switch ignition off.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 September 2019, 07:22:27 pm »
Brilliant piece of kit , well done
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26 September 2019, 05:23:05 pm »

The firmware update capability is a great piece of future proofing, good on you!

Now all we need is.... to be able to plug in a smart phone via USB, so you can get your maps & navigation on the big screen. No more worries about waterproofing the phone, or having it fly out of the holder at high speed  :lol

As promised (although a bit later than planned) - here's a pic of 'compact' unit. The one I've been running on my bike is my prototype with the rather large enclosure and bezel. This the redesigned enclosure which has now been assembled - components fitted in nicely. In addition to road testing my prototype really to nail down the accuracy of the MPG and Range displays, I'm also providing a mechanism by which these can receive software updates via USB. This now means any new features and potential software / firmware fixes will be available on the website, and all you'll have to do is download the update file onto a USB flash drive, insert into the provided USB slot on the TFT Dash and switch on your ignition. The flash drive will be detected and the update will be recognised and will automatically update both the software & firmware on the device. All you then have to do is remove the flash drive and switch ignition off.

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 September 2019, 03:05:00 pm »
Very exciting project.
Gives me ideas  :)

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 October 2019, 02:52:02 pm »
Not sure if you have mentioned this already... but I hope there's a way to change the displayed units from imperial to metric?

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01 October 2019, 09:23:42 pm »
Probably not mentioned in great detail, but yes there is an option to switch from Miles to KM and vice versa - I go touring around Europe quite often and couldn't exclude this option lol!

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 05 October 2019, 03:55:07 pm »
UPDATE: MPG and Range display is finally nailed down. Now after riding for about 10-20 miles it will give an accurate reading. Figured the best way to do this was the simplest way and thats to record the number of litres and odo when you fill up - then all it does it look at number of litres consumed vs distance covered and can work out MPG and Range from that. After todays road test thought I had a problem with the Tacho display as it was going up to 7000 and coming back down to 0 and doing this repeatedly every 3 seconds - realised it was the ECU communicating an error code like it does on the old clocks - turns out my EXUP valve wasn't working doh! In a software update if this happens I'll get the Dash to realise whats happening and display a nice friendly message. E.g. 'Check EXUP Servo'. Only thing to do now is package up the first unit which is ready to go - Website will be online soon so will be able to take orders.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07 October 2019, 07:33:36 pm »
thats brilliant that it recognises the service codes though :)

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 October 2019, 09:27:55 pm »
UPDATE: Finally the website is online and able to take orders! I know a couple of you have put your name down for one of these - to place your order go to:

https://www.tftdashproject.co.uk

On that site there's all the info about the features & everything else the TFT Dash will do. At the moment I've got 1 fully assembled & tested unit ready to package and go. This is the compact unit I've previously mentioned - I've also got another enclosure on the way and parts to be building the next one. Obviously aim to get these out to you as quick as I can - it seems the enclosures take the longest time to arrive taking around 1-2 weeks, and everything else fairly quick.

Payment on the site is handled securely via Paypal and the site itself is secure & encrypted - once you've placed an order I'll know where I'm sending the next units I will assemble. Refunds will obviously be offered within 30 days of purchase if you're not happy with the units for any reason. Any issues, just email, and I can repair / replace units that may have gone faulty (albeit unlikely).

Really appreciate all of your positive comments & support about this project! It's been so much fun seeing this thing go from dream to reality! When you've installed it on your bike - would love to see some pics and hear how you're getting on with it.

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 08 October 2019, 03:42:28 pm »
Fantastic stuff! Not only a great idea, but real patience and perseverance to see it through. Bravo!

A few questions have popped up in my head over the last few days as I mulled over the idea of ordering one

- Is there (or do you plan to add) a drag mode? One that'll count down and then time you from 0 to 60 or 100?
- Can the the speedohealer be adjusted independently of the sprocket size? For instance based on GPS comparison, I might want to adjust the speedo down by 1.5% to show the true speed. Is this possible?
- Is there a way to bring the odometer up to the reading on my stock clocks, so it picks up from there? Or do I necessarily have to start from zero?

Thanks!

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 08 October 2019, 04:09:49 pm »
Fantastic stuff! Not only a great idea, but real patience and perseverance to see it through. Bravo!

A few questions have popped up in my head over the last few days as I mulled over the idea of ordering one

- Is there (or do you plan to add) a drag mode? One that'll count down and then time you from 0 to 60 or 100?
- Can the the speedohealer be adjusted independently of the sprocket size? For instance based on GPS comparison, I might want to adjust the speedo down by 1.5% to show the true speed. Is this possible?
- Is there a way to bring the odometer up to the reading on my stock clocks, so it picks up from there? Or do I necessarily have to start from zero?

Thanks!

Many thanks! A drag mode is a great idea! Yes I'll add that in a future software update. If you ordered one now, just keep an eye on the website for the update which includes drag mode and then you simply update the software & firmware on the device which would include the new feature.

The speedohealer is completely independent of the sprocket size. The sprocket size setting is used purely for the gear indicator. So you can adjust your speedo down for a true speed reading. However currently setting the speedo healer at 0 will give a very true speed without any adjustment however each bike might be slightly different.

As for the Odometer, yes - when you plug in and turn on the TFT Dash for the first time it will ask you for your current Odometer reading (I've advised on the website that you take a note of your old Odo before unplugging). Once you've set your Odo it will be saved and maintained from that point onwards.

Hope that helps!

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 09 October 2019, 06:53:45 am »
Awesome.
Is there any chance to make it compatible for telling the Exup valve to stay open?

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 09 October 2019, 08:07:29 am »
Awesome.
Is there any chance to make it compatible for telling the Exup valve to stay open?

I believe the EXUP servo is controlled by the ECU / The TFT Dash doesn't change anything there other than read the RPM signal coming from the ECU. Certainly possible to do this in but not without some wiring modification to the bike so that the EXUP servo is controlled by the TFT Dash instead of ECU. Although if EXUP servo was open all the time wouldn't you lose low / mid range power?

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 10 October 2019, 05:40:33 am »
Awesome.

I believe the EXUP servo is controlled by the ECU / The TFT Dash doesn't change anything there other than read the RPM signal coming from the ECU. Certainly possible to do this in but not without some wiring modification to the bike so that the EXUP servo is controlled by the TFT Dash instead of ECU. Although if EXUP servo was open all the time wouldn't you lose low / mid range power?

That is possible, although I would do it for a nicer exhaust note and revert back for when I needed either low end power or to do the MOT.
Even with a full flow slip-on my bike is so quiet that I can MOT it with that so it's very convenient to have the Exup.
I just don't want it to be that quiet all the time and I don't want to change muffler for MOT.
Opening the Exup on demand would be ideal 😀

On your point though, perhaps the 7000rpm power spike could be moved lower in the range by opening the Exup.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2019, 06:14:22 am by OliZ »

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 10 October 2019, 09:14:00 am »
That's a real good point - I must have tried about 3 different cans on my Fazer for a louder sound - have even chopped 15cm off the Akrapovic can I had to get the louder deeper note. Great idea about adjusting the power range of the EXUP though - would be great to have a setting on the TFT Dash to control when the valve would open - I think ECU does it around 5000 RPM?
« Last Edit: 10 October 2019, 09:14:35 am by DJDLTD »

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 10 October 2019, 09:30:15 am »
I'd love this for my Gen 2 Fazer, but I don't think it's compatible atm? (I'll be checking back regularly!)
On that note, I looked through your website and there's no mention (I could see) that this is for Gen 1 Fazers only. I'm guessing this was on purpose for future compatibility expansion?, but you might get some orders off people with totally the wrong bike if you don't mention something on your landing page. Just a thought.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 10 October 2019, 06:47:43 pm »
I'd love this for my Gen 2 Fazer, but I don't think it's compatible atm? (I'll be checking back regularly!)
On that note, I looked through your website and there's no mention (I could see) that this is for Gen 1 Fazers only. I'm guessing this was on purpose for future compatibility expansion?, but you might get some orders off people with totally the wrong bike if you don't mention something on your landing page. Just a thought.

Yeah planning to do this for other bikes. If you click on the Order button - it's stated that the one you're ordering is for the Gen1. Will certainly be investigating the Gen 2!

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 10 October 2019, 10:23:01 pm »
That's a real good point - I must have tried about 3 different cans on my Fazer for a louder sound - have even chopped 15cm off the Akrapovic can I had to get the louder deeper note. Great idea about adjusting the power range of the EXUP though - would be great to have a setting on the TFT Dash to control when the valve would open - I think ECU does it around 5000 RPM?

I have noticed a considerable power increase around the 6-7000rpm mark and I assumed that it was due to the Exup.
Mine sounds different from around the 7000 mark.
I see or hear no evidence of the Exup opening as early as 5000.
From a wheelie or  power turn perspective the jerk makes the bike harder to balance and it would be interesting to have more control over that.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 10 October 2019, 10:41:19 pm »
The exup on Gen 1's is fully open by around 5k revs. The 7k fault code is purely that, an indication of what the fault is. Just like the tps fault code etc.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 13 October 2019, 09:11:35 am »
Nice website - I'd like to see some pictures of the unit fitted to a bike to show what it looks like when installed, and possibly an owners gallery once you have sold a few units.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 14 October 2019, 10:09:46 am »
Agree would be great to have an owners gallery.

Latest video with latest version installed can be viewed at:
https://youtu.be/iyYEwsPblro
« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 10:14:57 am by DJDLTD »

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 15 October 2019, 09:54:38 pm »
I am excited to hear of any updates re the exup.
If that can be done I'll be ordering.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15 October 2019, 11:01:58 pm »

I have noticed a considerable power increase around the 6-7000rpm mark and I assumed that it was due to the Exup.
Mine sounds different from around the 7000 mark.
I see or hear no evidence of the Exup opening as early as 5000.
From a wheelie or  power turn perspective the jerk makes the bike harder to balance and it would be interesting to have more control over that.
Peak torque is ~7500rpm and from there you are climbing to peak power, I'd suggest that is what you are experiencing, it is nothing to do with the EXUP. The fact that you don't feel the EXUP working is exactly how it is designed, to smooth out power delivery from low revs to ~5500rpm by which time it is fully open, disabling or removing the EXUP would leave you with a flat spot at low revs and a much more noticeable kick around 5500rpm. I don't think you fully appreciate what the EXUP is doing and to sacrifice this for a different exhaust note is not something that I would choose to do especially if you want smooth power delivery which is exactly what it does. I don't think you would be happy with the result but there is only one way to find out, you could just remove the valve, put the cover back on with the cables loose and take it for a test ride.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 16 October 2019, 03:41:04 pm »
Have been giving a bit more thought on the possibilities regarding EXUP control. Agree that the EXUP does a great job of ensuring smooth power delivery at low / mid range. Once on tour I had the opposite problem with my EXUP - I stupidly put the pulley back on backwards after servicing the valve meaning my EXUP could not fully open and it was very noticeable as the bike struggled to get above 90mph. Corrected it at our next stop and what a difference it made. Although I would like a nice loud exhaust note (especially when filtering through london traffic - and most likely well below 5000 RPM). So I'm thinking an additional set of options on the TFT Dash named 'EXUP Control' hitting this menu would give you the following options:

- EXUP Controlled by ECU (i.e. don't do anything with the EXUP - just let the ECU control it normally)
- Fully open at Idle (for that louder exhaust idle, but once you're above a set speed, revert back to EXUP Controlled by ECU)
- Always open (keep the valve open, louder exhaust note, sacrifice some low / mid range power, and send fake signals to the ECU so you don't get error codes showing up on the tacho)
- Manual control (explained below)
- Test EXUP (this would simply open and close the EXUP several times without having to run the engine, good if you've just serviced the valve and want to make sure everything still works)

The manual control option would be interesting as it would allow you (whilst riding) to decide whether to open the valve, you might be doing slow speeds filtering through traffic therefore a bit of extra exhaust sound might be good. Once you're out of traffic and then want the ECU to have control of the EXUP - just hit the button on the TFT Dash remote and the EXUP would revert to ECU Control. This would then give you the flexibility of having some extra exhaust note (whilst sacrificing power), but then when road conditions change and you want your smooth power delivery back, hit the button and then you have that extra power back and your EXUP reverts back to control by ECU.

Additionally if you have your EXUP controlled by ECU - I would include a third diagnostic panel on the main screen which would show a nice graphic of the position of the EXUP. You could then visibly see it's position change as you ride.

On the practical side not much would have to change for the TFT Dash on the hardware side, it would need an extra communication wire which links to an 'EXUP control unit'. The 'EXUP control unit' is something additional I would provide, but I imagine this to be a small box which would sit near the EXUP servo and would plug into the EXUP servo. The plug coming from the ECU would then plug into the box. It would sit between the ECU and EXUP valve giving that extra flexibility.

Would need to do a bit of research and prototyping to see if the above will work practically, but theoretically it should work.

OliZ

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX550 Café
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16 October 2019, 05:38:52 pm »
Perfect! That is exactly what I am looking for. Talk about over and beyond!

The proposed hardware solution is perfect, the intended use case is spot on, the intended user experience is sublime, and there may even be a graphical presentation.
The way this problem is approached and kicked over the horizon is sensational.
This innovative mindset is so refreshing.