Date: 16-04-24  Time: 07:20 am

Author Topic: Quickshifter  (Read 3773 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Quickshifter
« Reply #25 on: 06 July 2020, 10:24:44 pm »
Don't you think however smooth and used to it you are changing without the clutch puts wear on some parts of the box? I would have thought just fanning the lever and dropping the revs a gnats' would be a far kinder way of going up the box,then again if you've had no problems doing it fair enough,I personally do it if I'm going for it through the gears but not as a constant thing,only my opinion .
It’s how I’ve been doing it 25 years or more.  I can’t see how it can do any harm.  I also often go down the box without the clutch at low speed.

I do wonder however, if gearbox issues will become more common now that we are in the age of the quick shifter.  The two I have tried were crude compared to an old-fashioned clutch-less change.  I just don’t get what all the fuss is about quickshifters.

Papa Wheelie

• Cager in Training
  • 2005 FZ1 Bobber.... All mine
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Quickshifter
« Reply #26 on: 28 July 2020, 05:28:25 pm »
Have the Healtech Easy installed on 1st Gen FZ1. Advantages include less clutch wear, Quicker smoother upshifts and downshifts gears 3-6 and 6-3. Comes with a bypass plug that allows disabling or for testing. About a 1 hour install tapping into the coils under the tank routing and securing wires to the ECU placed under the seat and making sure the sender is firmly attached to the shift lever bolt with the special compression washers in place. Disadvantages include learning to ride without touching your shifter as any tap even from a bounce can momentarily cut power and if this occurs at the same time as manually clutching it can result in a missed shift at higher RPM then a lurch forward as you realize you are accelerating still in a lower gear. After learning to shift more precisely and firmly without resting on the lever the quickshifter becomes a breeze to use. 1st+2nd gear quickshifts up or down are very harsh and not recommended if you experience this as the manual says then to avoid them. You must have the transmission under load (meaning accelerating or constant throttle) to clutchless shift or you will crunch gears. Once programmed and understood the Healtech Quickshifter Easy is like butter shifting at full throttle like an automatic transmission up and down. Saved me 3/10 in my quarter mile drag times and adds alot of enjoyment and smoothness for spirited clutchless street riding
Papa Wheelie