Date: 20-04-24  Time: 02:40 am

Author Topic: C2 bearings  (Read 826 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
C2 bearings
« on: 31 July 2017, 03:34:56 pm »
I bought some wheel bearings a good while ago and I just noticed they are C2 bearings instead of C3 :groan I know that means they have a smaller internal clearance.  There's only a few microns in the difference. Would that cause an issue?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: C2 bearings
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2017, 04:30:38 pm »
 I'd be tempted to contact the place you bought them from and ask them if there would be an issue using them. The slightly slacker clearance may be to take up heat expansion. I would guess they're unlikely to seize in use but may wear more quickly.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2017, 09:39:17 pm »
 The problem here is that C2 is two steps below C3 (C1, C2, CN, C3, C4, C5) and are not really designed for use in shafts where there is likely to be a good temperature rise during operation. The disk/s can transfer a lot of heat through the wheel to the bearings and the outer ring becomes hotter than the inner. At worst they may seize, at best they will become noisy when hot and wear faster. For the sake of €10 each buy new ones if you cannot change them.
There will probably be fellows saying they have allways used C2 without issue, but everyone uses their bikes and brakes differently, different pads/disks/use transfer heat differently, there are too many variables to go into.
I would change them, it is just not worth the risk.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 11:13:52 pm »
I agree. They've been specified c3 so using anything else is foolish. What's annoying is that a good set of bearings goes to waste. What a plonker Rodney :lol