Date: 18-04-24  Time: 18:31 pm

Author Topic: Moving from 600 to 1000 Fazer  (Read 3367 times)

Candyman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - BMW1150GS
    • View Profile
Moving from 600 to 1000 Fazer
« on: 26 February 2016, 12:57:03 pm »
I have owned and serviced my 1998 600 Fazer for a number of years and interested in getting a 1000 Fazer.  Is this a wize decision or should I run?  My knowledge of the 1000 is poor.  What should I look out for and are high mileage bikes worth looking at?  What are the big things that go wrong and are there major differences in the years?  I do like to service my own bikes and is the 1000 a pleasure or beast to maintain?

(These questions may have been answered already so point me in the right direction)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Moving from 600 to 1000 Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2016, 01:15:48 pm »
Assuming you are looking at gen 1 going by age of the 600

once the AIS system is removed I found it a pleasure to work on.
Check who had it before knew how to service the exup valve as it's about the only weak point on the 1000

Millage is nothing to these bikes imo.

Yellow with black engine is the fastest and best looking followed by silver then red. Watch out for blue as they only have a reverse gear. ;p

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2016, 04:06:44 pm »
Is this a wize decision or should I run

I guess this is down to what you want from your bike, the 1000 is going to be heavier, use more fuel and be more expensive to tax and insure but it will be more capable of going very fast, touring and pillion work. The stock suspension does need work to get the best out of the bike, the OEM rear shock was under sprung at launch and unless serviced will be even worse with age, the front forks are adequate but benefit from stiffer springs. However a sorted Gen1 Fazer is an excellent all round bike and many that have moved away seeking pastures new have come back to the fold as nothing seems to do so much so well, I tended to chop and change bikes every 2-3 years (889 fireblade, 929 fireblade, ZX12-R, Speed Triple) but I have had my Gen1 for 7 years now and don't have any plans to move on for this reason.

What should I look out for and are high mileage bikes worth looking at?

I would rather take a higher mileage bike that has been well looked after than a lower mileage bike that shows signs of neglect. They can be susceptible to corrosion if neglected or used in all weathers the exhaust headers and bolts will be the best place to check for this. My favourite tip is to get the seller to evidence that they know where the exup valve is, that they can tell you what servicing it entails and how often they do this, if you get satisfactory answers then the chances are you have found a caring owner and a bike that's been well maintained. If they say they get their workshop to do the servicing then expect the exup valve to have remained untouched and potentially in need of seized bolts being drilled out and replaced. If you're looking at buying from a dealer ask if you can visually inspect the exup valve for evidence of it having been serviced and confirm for yourself that all the bolts (cover & housing) can be turned.

What are the big things that go wrong and are there major differences in the years?

The bikes are pretty bulletproof, it's only really the corrosion and exup that need to be kept on top of. There are no 'major' differences that should really be an issue, I do know that there was a slight change made to the carbs around 2003 but the chances are you will either buy a bike that has been 'ivanised' or will want to get this done at some point making an already moot point even mooter.

I do like to service my own bikes and is the 1000 a pleasure or beast to maintain?

As ghostbiker said once the AIS system has been removed servicing the bike is no issue for a halfway competent home mechanic, I wouldn't particularly class myself even at that level but as well as the obvious plugs / fluids / filters I have checked the valve clearances, rebuilt the forks, had the swing arm off, refurbished the brake callipers etc with no real headaches (the forks were a it of a pig).

Pat's site is an invaluable resource check it out if you have thee time & inclination, it has the main service items with guides on how to do these along with popular mods for the bike - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/index.html

Post back if you have any other questions.

Edit:\ Having just checked the for sale forum I notice that there is a very nice Gen1 up for sale  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2016, 04:11:28 pm by PieEater »

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2016, 04:51:21 pm »
But did you notice how good I was in not pluggin my bike for sale lol.
Oh hugger now I have ;-)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2016, 04:57:47 pm »
I did, you have, will he ?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2016, 05:51:47 pm »
You will need a bigger helmet ,,,,you see your smile will be huge,thats all you need to do.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2016, 08:37:05 pm »
Just do it, you wont regret it, trust me 8)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
is it clean enough?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2016, 02:34:13 pm »
I did the same move, went from 600 to gen 1 thou, best thing I ever did. Yes bike is bigger heavier and costs more to run, but it's well worth it in my eyes

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2016, 03:09:33 pm »
What Cellarman said. It's a must.  :)