Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioner and rattles  (Read 855 times)

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Cam chain tensioner and rattles
« on: 24 May 2013, 03:32:03 pm »
Reading this chaps thread...

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7714.0.html

How common a failure are the cam chain tensioners please people?

What are we talking.....1 in 100, 1 in 5? 

I think my cam chain is a bit noisy (18k miles), as it seems to occassionally rattle slightly when decelerating through 3500-2000 rpm, but I can't decide if (a) they're all like that Sir! (b) it's because the bike's just had a fresh oil change (c) the cam chain adjuster is stuck.  The thing is, i don't recall hearing it before I changed the oil - and spent the weekend frigging about with the EXUP valve - so maybe it's always been like it and I'm just being paranoid  :look   I've tried the thrashing the arse off it trick too, made no difference.

It's not major rattles all the time, nor is it especially loud - no issues with the bikes performance either.

I'm just a bit confused, as everything i've read suggests the cam chains rattle when the bike's cold.  Whereas mine seems to rattle only when it's been ridden for 30 mins or so and is nice and hot. :\

I am thinking of popping the adjsut out and checking it over.  Do they have a gasket, as I didn't need a gasket when I took the one out on my bandit and put it back in again?

I must admit, the price of new adjusters is ridiculous.  I swear new bits for my Bandit never used to be as stupidly priced.....
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013, 03:33:51 pm by FazerRuss »

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Cam chain tensioner and rattles
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2013, 12:25:59 am »
Evening!
I'm the chap with the cam chain woes. Wouldnt worry about it too much as it seems to be a problem unique to yours truly :rolleyes
The adjuster unit does have a gasket. There is an easy way to check if its seized. Whip the 10mm headed bolt out if the end of it, pop a slim flat bladed screwdriver down the hole and feel around for the slot it goes into which is on the end of the piston. Give it a twiddle, clockwise tightens it if memory serves me correctly.If it doesnt move either way, could be seized, but this is not the problem I've had. Mines more to do with the spring giving up the ghost. It seems to be a sealed unit, and AFAIK, lasts quite well. Guess I've just been very unlucky. Ho hum, there you go.
Hope this helps.
Anyhoo, back to Clockwork Angels by the mighty Rush :guitar and some more wine 8)
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.