Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:51 am

Author Topic: Speedo Long Way Out.  (Read 2675 times)

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Speedo Long Way Out.
« on: 15 October 2011, 09:24:17 pm »
Got another new, secondhand, 02-03 Fazer. Really clean bike but previous owner let some things go a bit that Im trying to sort. Rotten downpipes - luckily a fellow Foccer had a set of SS. Brakes sloppy - gonna get taken apart and serviced and braided hoses. Dunlop Sportmax tyres. Plenty of tread. Must have been on for years. Felt like they were made outta mahogany! - new BT023. These are the best tyres by a margin I've ever used. I have a TomTom that I put on to ride it 100 miles home after buying it. I noticed the speedo is a lot out compared to satnav. 30 on satnav 35 speedo, 60 satnav 70 speedo, 75 satnav 90 speedo. Anybody ever came across this? This is 4th 02-03 I've had and none of the others were this far out. Any solutions? Thanks.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo Long Way Out.
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
The only time I've had a speedo reading very high, was when I carelessly routed the cable from the sensor and the bolt heads holding the left brake disc on wore through the insulation and started putting extra pulses into the system. :o
That gave speedo indications that were normal most of the time and would jump intermittently to ridiculous speeds... if you're getting stable wrong readings then the problem is probably at the meter end rather than the sensor.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2011, 11:55:22 pm »
Speedo counts pulses from the front wheel. If its reading slow then its not getting enough pulses.

Assuming its not simply "shagged" then something is preventing the pulses reaching the speedo from the sender.

I say this cos mine's an import bike and it has a special gizmo hidden in the connector box under the tank that converts KM to Miles by transmitting 5 pulses out of every 8. The speedo reads only MPH but has an "MPH" sticker over the original "KPH". It reads up to 220MPH!

So , is this an import bike ?? does it have both MPH and KPH on the speedo (160 on the MPH scale and 220 on the KPH scale)  or does it hava a simple single set of markings that goes up to about 220?

Could well be an import with a cheap or shagged "converter"

On the other hand, it could be simply a set of snapped lugs on the sender ferrite thing in the front wheel hub and its about to fail completely. :evil

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2011, 09:28:01 am »
My speedo is out a similar amount and I seem to remember my last Fazer was the same. I allow 10% at lower end and slightly more on top end - I would happily ride by a police car at an indicated 85 knowing this is mid 70s max. afaik all speedos are set to under read unless calibrated for plod work

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2011, 05:56:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It has mph in bigger writing and kph in smaller. At least someone else has had this so its just a matter of getting used to the wonky reading. The rev counter is same as usual at least. Bike is going well and its only a minor annoyance really. Cheers.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2011, 07:16:46 pm »
this is what you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-98-03-HEALTECH-SPEEDO-HEALER-V4-/300502423997?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f75719bd a speedo healer,as this unit is from the states there will be inport tax etc,m & p used to sell them so worth a try

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2011, 10:29:27 pm »
It has mph in bigger writing and kph in smaller.

That sounds like a standard UK spec speedo dial.

If I were you I would find a quiet stretch of motorway and ride at a constant indicated 60 past 10 of the 100 meter posts (They are about 2 feet tall, white with red/blue tops.) . That way you don't have to trust any technology (speedo or sat-nav) to know the truth.
(Use a clockwork watch ... if you don't trust the quartz-digital version :\ )

If it takes anything other than 37.5 seconds to pass 10 of those then your speedo is out.
Do your own sums!

And beware ... they are usually missing at junctions, 200 meters between posts. :rolleyes

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2011, 07:50:10 am »
Yes, I get the maths. 5/8 mile(1km) should take 5/8 minute(37.5secs) at a true 60mph. Got maths 'O' Level back when the dinosaurs and Honda's Plastic Maggots roamed the Earth.
Took the wheels off my old Fazer and put them on this one. I noticed both bikes have the newer speedo rotor that the lugs don't break off when you breathe on them so its not that.
Might try putting little stickers or something on the speedo dial to indicate 30, 40, 50 and 70mph. Thanks again for your replies. Cheers, David.