Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:51 am

Author Topic: Knocking noise - continued from thread on old site  (Read 3663 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Knocking noise - continued from thread on old site
« on: 28 September 2011, 08:55:55 am »
I haven't as yet had a good look at all the chain but I will do that one evening this week.
The sound is getting more frequent and I now hear it all the time in 1st and 2nd gear and sometimes in 3rd.  The one thing I have noticed, if I roll off the throttle or dip the clutch the noise stops.  Is this consistent with a stiff link or dodgy chain and sprockets?  I know the chain is turning all the time the wheels are but I'm guessing the extra load when the power is on is what causes the knocking?
I was hoping the noise would just dissappear (no such luck) because I can't really afford a chain and sprocket change at the mo, but the bike gets me to work, so if it needs doing it needs doing.
I see Griff86 says to go genuine Yamaha parts but does anyone have any other feelings on this issue?  Are there any chains/sprockets that I should definitely avoid?  What is a good price for a genuine sprocket and chain set?  the local stealer has said £170 for parts plus an hour's labour.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Knocking noise - continued from thread on old site
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2011, 11:31:44 am »
Harry.

Have you got any tools to do it yourself? I did mine in 30mins and that was removing the swingarm enough to fit the endless chain, it was made easier cause I keep on top of cleaning behind the sprocket cover and grease in the swingarm bearings. Its quite simple to do If you allow yourself some time if its your first try.

I picked up my genuine chain and sprockets for £130 off ebay(I think they are around £160 from a dealer), it came with a split link even though the chain was endless, I suppose to save you taking the swingarm off although you'd need to split the chain first.

Try pulling the clutch in to see if the knocking is still there when your riding, mine was there but was harder to spot with wind noise, etc. It was more noticeable under load of the engine though.

Also its a good time to fit the updated front sprocket nut with new washer if you haven't done so already, loads of info about this on the old site.

I wouldn't pay any more that £100 for a non genuine sprocket kit unless it was a renthal/tsubaki kit(although mine didn't last long so I wouldn't buy another)

Simon

« Last Edit: 28 September 2011, 11:34:02 am by griff86 »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2011, 12:03:33 pm »
Hi Simon,

I do have a go on some things on the bike, I've replaced my rear brake pads, changed the oil and filter, balanced the carbs, but I don't have the greatest confidence and I need the bike every day to get to work so time is always against me, especially if I hit any problems or something I'm not sure about.  I did think about having a go myself, I've got a friend who rides and looks after his own bikes who has said he will help, I may well do this.

The noise does stop when I pull in the clutch or roll off the power.

I know about the sprocket nut, I've read up about this and plan to get mine changed as matter of course anyway, I was planning on ordering the part this week :-)

Looks like it's bite the bullet time and pay out for a chain and sprocket, not sure what else it can be and it's certainly getting worse over the past 3 weeks from when I first noticed it.

Thanks for the advice :-)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2011, 06:55:38 pm »
if the sound is getting worse and its the chain making the noise then you need to get it sorted straight away. by riding it and ignoring the noise you're risking the chain hoping off the sproket or snapping which could be a disaster. you can check for stiff links and worn sprokets easily so you'd be mad not to. just put the bike on the centre stand and take the chain gaurd off. then go to the slack side of the chain and rotate each link up and down individually. the links should move freely and a stiff link will feel jammed and you wont be able to move it much. but i'd say get a mechanic to look at it if you're not sure whats causing it. it wouldn't cost much to get him to just check it for you

SlasherFF

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kwak Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2011, 11:12:10 pm »
I'd been having an increasing knocking noise from the front sprocket area on my FZS600. Took a peak last weekend, and front sprocket was very warn. Had new chain and sprockets fitted today - now no noise and like a completely different bike. Mechanic gave me the technical term to describe the front sprocket... 'shagged'.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2011, 08:59:38 pm »
I get a weird knocking noise but it only comes when i change gear, i have a feeling its the fact my friend put a rear hugger on it.

Usually when i change gear at steady speeds or i hit a bump or pothole.

im kinda guessing its just my chain knocking against something, i'll figure it out when it throws me off one day  :eek
Ride It Like You've Stole It

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2011, 09:27:25 am »
I'd been having an increasing knocking noise from the front sprocket area on my FZS600. Took a peak last weekend, and front sprocket was very warn. Had new chain and sprockets fitted today - now no noise and like a completely different bike. Mechanic gave me the technical term to describe the front sprocket... 'shagged'.

Yep, this is pretty much exactly as it was for me in the end.  I bit the bullet and booked the bike in last Friday, a new chain and sprokets later and my bike is like a new bike!   :D

I'm a mega skint now though!  :\

Thanks for all the replies.