Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: Damnit!! Checked rotor magnets, dropped stuff in crankcase  (Read 1581 times)

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
Damnit!! Checked rotor magnets, dropped stuff in crankcase
« on: 19 December 2019, 03:10:25 am »
So after a month of getting used to my new 06, FZ1-S, I decided to get clever and check the rotor magnets weren't looking like they were going to fail.

As I pulled the cover off, a washer and 2 of the rubber cush mounts feel straight down the hole into the bottom of the case.  Doesn't look like any hope of fishing them out..

I'm guessing I need to order a new alternator gasket, new oil pan gasket and new exhaust gaskets and get busy?

In my head, I need to disconnect exup, remove exhaust at header and take it as one piece, drop oil, drop oil pan. Fish the bits out then stick it all back together? Is there anything I've missed our need to be wary of?

Deffo going to reassemble the stator/rotor before replacing the oil pan!

Anyone else done this? The magnets looked fine, which is even more annoying!! :'(

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Damnit!! Checked rotor magnets, dropped stuff in crankcase
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2019, 07:57:19 am »
You'll probably get more help in the 600 section of the forums ...............

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2019, 05:51:47 pm »
You'll probably get more help in the 600 section of the forums ...............

Why? He has a FZ1-S?

And to the OP.... yes I'd say you've got some messing about to do 😬😬 I cant think of a way to get then out. On the plus side they should just be sat down in the sump so wont be causing any damage while it's not running

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2020, 07:58:43 am »
So.
I was right. 2 rubber bits one washer and one spacer sitting on the top of the oil pan.

Alternator all back together while oil pan off, just in case anything else fell in

Exhaust doesn't come out in one, had to split it at the clamp.

Sheared 3 exhaust studs off coz they're rotten, so just waiting for some studs and brass nuts to arrive.

Hasn't been touched for nearly a month, and started on the button first time (loudly, with no exhaust!). Impressed...

Can't wait to get  her back on the road to be honest, she might even get a wash!

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2020, 09:23:19 am »
Any advice on preventing that happening if you did it again?

I'm waiting for a replacement stator to arrive as I'm upgrading the part preventatively. My bike is on 41k and I'm about to do a solo trip through Europe in Feb so thought I'd get the new part in for piece of mind.

Certainly don't want to put the bike off the road just before my trip so anything you advise would be appreciated!

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2020, 07:51:52 pm »
Undo the (2 sizes) of allen bolts around the stator cover.
Use a big Allen key, remove the centre cap.

Before doing anything else, put something on the centre of the rotor you can see through the cap. When you pull the cover off, the magnet will want to drag everything else out with it, meaning stuff may fall straight into the case.

Keep pushing hard on the shaft, (or better still, get an assistant) while pulling the casing off. A screwdriver, or socket extension bar or anything that will fit through the hole will keep the rotor in place when the stator comes off with the cover.

At this point, I'd put a piece of plastic or cardboard over the hole to the crank. There's 2 spacers and a washer at the back of the rotor that your going to pull out to replace it. As well as some rubber cush drives. On the off chance it separates, it won't fall past the cardboard.

Once it's all out, pull it apart, swap rotor out and put it all back.

I had to put it in gear and wiggle the rear wheel to get the cogs aligned and it all to slot home.

Remove cardboard, button it up.

You don't have to drain the oil, but some will escape so put a rag down. You might want to dab some oil on the parts as you reassemble into the bearing.

Good luck!

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2020, 03:19:28 pm »
Thanks Zark - much appreciated!

New part due to arrive from the States by the end of the month so I'll let you know how I get on once it's swapped out!  :eek

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2020, 05:12:27 pm »
No worries, hope it's hassle free.
Don't forget to order a gasket or have some gloop ready, mine split and needed replacing... They're 4 or 5 quid on eBay.

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2020, 05:13:57 pm »
No worries, hope it's hassle free.
Don't forget to order a gasket or have some gloop ready, mine split and needed replacing... They're 4 or 5 quid on eBay.

Already got it ready - thanks  :)