Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:49 am

Author Topic: Bloody Downpipes.  (Read 1357 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bloody Downpipes.
« on: 01 December 2019, 03:33:36 pm »
     Best way to polish the standard downpipes?  They are meant to be stainless but that's a joke surely!
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Downpipes.
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2019, 04:04:05 pm »
Have you done the usual Harpic Power treatment? That gets them back to a shiny silver colour. Still have to clean and polish them after but makes a bit difference

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2019, 11:05:19 am »
Have you done the usual Harpic Power treatment? That gets them back to a shiny silver colour. Still have to clean and polish them after but makes a bit difference
Ideal!  Thanks, I have the headers removed, do I simply pour it over the downpipes, leave, then wash it off?  Or should I scrub them with a hard brush?  Harpic should at least get the shit off!  :thumbup 
« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 11:43:15 am by Decoke Dave »

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2019, 11:42:10 am »

If you want them looking perfect then it's a wet'n'dry sand job followed by polishing compounds on wheels. I started with a set along these lines from these guys (that are handily local for me):

https://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/pro-max-steel-stainless-steel-3-x-1-2-metal-polishing-buffing-kit/

It's not instant results however, time and effort are needed. Once clean it's pretty easy to keep them gleaming, 'little and often' are the bywords.
is it clean enough?

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2019, 12:05:17 pm »
  Anyone know the wall thickness of the downpipe tubing?  Just passed the flange collar, only a general idea obviously they will vary where they are bent.  :thumbup

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2019, 03:15:56 pm »
Ideal!  Thanks, I have the headers removed, do I simply pour it over the downpipes, leave, then wash it off?  Or should I scrub them with a hard brush?  Harpic should at least get the shit off!  :thumbup

Best method is to pour some harpic in an old cup and then grab a paint brush and just paint it on (paint brush helps get in all the nooks and crannies) leave for 5-10 minutes then just rinse off. You'll see the change instantly.
Has to be Harpic Power though for some reason as normal bleach wont work. That Harpic has some kind of extra corrosive ingredient 🤷‍♂️

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2019, 08:07:15 pm »

Best method is to pour some harpic in an old cup and then grab a paint brush and just paint it on (paint brush helps get in all the nooks and crannies) leave for 5-10 minutes then just rinse off. You'll see the change instantly.
Has to be Harpic Power though for some reason as normal bleach wont work. That Harpic has some kind of extra corrosive ingredient 🤷‍♂️

Harpic Power 10 is Hydrochloric Acid in a gel suspension. Works a treat, but keep if alloy casings. Regular bleach is an alkali and wont react with the corrosion.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2019, 08:11:24 pm »
     Seriously many thanks to all!  The next job on the list!  :thumbup

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2019, 09:24:06 pm »

Harpic Power 10 is Hydrochloric Acid in a gel suspension. Works a treat, but keep if alloy casings. Regular bleach is an alkali and wont react with the corrosion.

Ya learn something new every day
Very informative 🤔 Thanks