Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:17 pm

Author Topic: New starter - gearbox play  (Read 454 times)

Mov250

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
New starter - gearbox play
« on: 22 May 2020, 12:20:13 pm »
Hi thanks for join. Have recently bought a 2007 FZ6 S2, really clean, with only 5400 miles, having been used to classic British bikes (Velocette). Great to have a bike that starts so easily, with lights you can actually see where you’re going!

Only surprise though is how clunky the gear change is with snatch between winding on and off the throttle. Ive done the usual things like taking excessive play out of the throttle cable which has helped a bit. After the silky smooth changes of the Velo it seems odd. I’ve just serviced it, oil + filter, air filter, coolant swap and all the usual other bits. What’s surprising is the slop in the gearbox. Putting the bike on the paddock stand (no main stand - bit of a bummer), engaged gear and find I have about 1/2 chain link ie 1 tooth of movement when rocking the back wheel. I’ve read up some of the links on the forum and it appears that’s normal - is that correct.

Question are: What can I do to improve gear changes and do the throttle bodies need balancing?  If so can someone point me in the right direction for how to do it?

Thanks again

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: New starter - gearbox play
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2020, 09:02:57 pm »
With the FZS600, Chain adjustment (35mm) is critical. Get it wrong and you get clunky gear changes. Get it right, its as smooth as anything. Maybe the FZ6 is as fussy too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again