Date: 18-04-24  Time: 21:20 pm

Author Topic: New noise  (Read 1549 times)

3Cylinder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Street Triple
    • View Profile
New noise
« on: 12 December 2016, 12:05:29 pm »
Hi All,

Wonder if you can help. Over the weekend my '99 FZS600 developed a new noise. It kind of sounds like a puppy in the front wheel going "YAP YAP YAP YAP" - but only over 30MPH.... any lower than that and the noise goes.

I checked the brakes and they're not binding - and the noise doesn't change when pressure is applied. And there is also no lateral movement so I can't see it being a bearing issue.

I had a quick browse and found that it could be something to do with the speedo sensor? Anybody had this issue before and can shed some light on it? Is it just a case of take it apart and re grease everything, or is it a new part job?

Cheers,

3C

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: New noise
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2016, 04:46:07 pm »
About a year ago I fitted a new speedo sensor when having a new front tyre fitted. Didn't grease it enough and it made exactly that embarrassing noise. Got it home and packed it full of grease, and no noise since.
One tip. If it's one of the original ceramic speedo drives, it will almost certainly have broken off the ceramic lugs. As you take it off they will fall out. Either superglue or buy a new improved one with plastic internals.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2016, 09:12:55 pm »
If the lugs are broken the speedo won't work.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

3Cylinder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Street Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2016, 09:09:31 am »
About a year ago I fitted a new speedo sensor when having a new front tyre fitted. Didn't grease it enough and it made exactly that embarrassing noise. Got it home and packed it full of grease, and no noise since.
One tip. If it's one of the original ceramic speedo drives, it will almost certainly have broken off the ceramic lugs. As you take it off they will fall out. Either superglue or buy a new improved one with plastic internals.

Cheers for that mate,

Is that the part 15 I've been hearing about? The one that's about 20 quid or so? or the full external part that I'm looking closer to £100 for? - Either that or I'll have to get a supply of superglue and duct tape  ;)

Just for clarity's sake, the speedo is working fine right now, so hopefully that's not the issue. Hopefully it's just the grease!

Cheers,

3C

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2016, 11:46:42 am »
As suggested, just pack it full of heavy duty grease, but more importantly if everything is intact and in good nick make sure the lugs are lined up properly in the slots on reassembly, otherwise you will end up breaking the lugs yourself.
There's a bit of a knack to it as it's a bit fiddly, but once you've done it a few times it gets easier.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2016, 11:36:55 am »
Yup good advice here. I'd only add that even though bearings don't show play, it could still be them. So I'd check:

1) Muck under mudguard
2) Brakes binding
3) Speedo drive
4) Bearings
5) Finally, sometimes tyres can go funny, but the above is more likely

Andy