Date: 19-04-24  Time: 18:16 pm

Author Topic: Any north west foccers know how to fit an o ring chain with the rivet tool?  (Read 3167 times)

Fizzy Pies

I'd sooner buy the tool and have someone teach me and know for life rather than keep paying a mechanic after all i have two hands like he does.

Does anyone know how to use them that would teach me, can pay in bacon butties, brews and banta?

thanks

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
If it was last week Fizzy, I'd have happily come over and done it fir ya, I'm back at bloody work now! Bugger!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
You tube has a few vids on there. I'll have to put a new chain on the lads bike. Once the weather warms up .lol.
Andy

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I would, if you were closer....

It's a doddle really - best tip really, is grind the head off the pin you're removing from the old chain, before pushing it out, makes life a load easier...

Then just follow the instructions with your tool, and make sure the tool is central over the pins before you start winding the pressure on. The chain should have come with details of how much the pin should be rounded over.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Tried giving Heath, Ralphie or Les a shout buddy?
Closer than I, might be able to sort you out?

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
is Slidey still on here ? ,he has one
Its just a ride

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
It's a doddle really - best tip really, is grind the head off the pin you're removing from the old chain, before pushing it out, makes life a load easier...
I just cut the chain in half, sod buggering about removing pins from a knackered chain :D

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I did that, my first time... Then realised it means you can't use the old chain and link to pop through the new chain, and pull it through onto the sprocket etc (does make life easier). Also, time with the angle grinder is much reduced, and the pin really easy to push out, once the head is gone - probably much the same time needed between the 2 methods of breaking the chain.

As an aside, the 1st mot after I'd cut the chain off, the guy spotted loads of metal filings around the rear hub, said he'd fail it if he could see where they were coming from :rollin :rollin

shady

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB600F5 Hornet
    • View Profile
Adam, give me a ring l m happy to call over and fit the chain, Slidey only lived up the road from me and l m sure he ll lend me the rivet tool, he has done in the past. But if Les can sort it then no probs, but hey l ll catch up soon either way  ;)
Still got the Hornet ;-)

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Adam.  I have the same tool as posted in the link above.  I have used it in anger, but only just noticed this thread.  Looks like you have some help sorted out, but let me know if needed.

wannafazer

• Hornet post whore
  • GP Hero
  • Frasers bitch !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Foc-U
I just cut the chain in half, sod buggering about removing pins from a knackered chain :D

This. But only cos' I couldn't lay my hands on my bolt crops for maximum violence :D

I did that, my first time... Then realised it means you can't use the old chain and link to pop through the new chain, and pull it through onto the sprocket etc (does make life easier). 

Zip tie  :)
The only real Fazer is a carbed 600.