Date: 16-04-24  Time: 12:26 pm

Author Topic: Clutch noise/chain rattle  (Read 5149 times)

Olly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Clutch noise/chain rattle
« on: 27 March 2015, 11:40:20 pm »
This may take a while.

I bought a '00 600 Fazer 2 years ago that had been parked for 10 years after the previous owner dropped it on his leg and broke it (his leg). I've slowly been working my way around the bike fixing it.  So far I've done the forks, rear shock, s/s exhaust, upgraded the rear brake to a blue spot, refurbed front brakes, new wheel bearings, ultrasonically cleaned and balanced the carbs and changed the carb rubbers. Just done the timing, valve springs and shims. My next job is to refurb the clutch - plates, judder and tension springs, and cable.

I changed the sprockets and chain first and had the usual fazer knocking/rattle in idle - no biggie.

Riding all year round -  in the North of Scotland the chain takes a beating (no matter how much care is taken) and a clutch noise/chain rattle slowly appeared, including a knocking sensation through my left foot, getting slowly worse.

I put it down to a tight link(s) - which I had. The chain snapped last week - no damage done except to my number plate. Lucky me.

With no chain fitted I started the engine and there was a horrible rattling noise from around the front sprocket area - best way to describe it is like a bolt in a blender! There was no excessive play in the front sprocket and after changing the chain and sprockets the clutch noise and knocking had disappeared. Happy days.

I've now done just under 950 miles and the knocking through the left peg has reappeared and is starting to increase along with a grinding/graunching feeling. The chain has no tight links and is in tension, engine oil level is at the top end and the wheel bearing is good. The usual 'Fazer noise' on start up is still there but after riding my commute (67 mile one way) when I stop and put it into idle the noise is 10 times worse - the engine sounds like a diesel!

Does anyone have any clues to what this could be?
« Last Edit: 27 March 2015, 11:49:28 pm by Olly »

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch noise/chain rattle
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2015, 12:13:50 am »
output shaft has chewed the bearings.

Olly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2015, 12:37:52 am »
Really hoping it's not that

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2015, 07:37:16 am »
If it makes the racket when you're stationary the output shaft bearings are unlikely to be the cause.
Maybe the water pump suffered an impact when the chain let go.

Olly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2015, 08:32:57 am »
I had a really good look round when I did the chain, there was 2 small chips on the swingarm and some scoring on the back of the rear huggers chain guard. It looks as though the chain snapped on the rear sprocket just as it was rotating up. It went through my number plate and wrapped round my wing rack.

I never noticed anything on the water pump. I'll have another look around to see if there's anything obvious.

One other thing, when I pull in the clutch at idle the noise disappears and is replaced by the usual fazer engine noise...

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2015, 07:37:32 pm »
On the 600 divvy there is a well-known issue with clutch rattle. There's a pin holding the clutch basket and this can be loose. The standard cure is to replace this with a slightly larger roll pin which eliminates the slop.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2015, 07:53:01 pm »
On the 600 divvy there is a well-known issue with clutch rattle. There's a pin holding the clutch basket and this can be loose. The standard cure is to replace this with a slightly larger roll pin which eliminates the slop.

or do as i did and get a louder exhaust :D

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2015, 07:55:55 am »
Doh! Why didn't I think of that?  :D
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Olly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2015, 08:51:51 am »
Finally got a chance to look into the clutch - got a broken friction disc. Can't find anything else wrong - though the anti-judder spring looks like it's taken a beating with some nicks on the sides.

Hopefully the disc is the culprit.

Going to change the springs, friction discs, clutch plates and anti-judder spring.

Got a few questions:
1. EBC or gecko for the discs?
2. Can you only get the judder spring from Yamaha?
3. I can't find any packs of metal clutch plates - are these individual buys only?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 03 April 2015, 10:41:36 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.