Date: 23-04-24  Time: 08:07 am

Author Topic: The dreaded fork thread!  (Read 5345 times)

Bondyboy96

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - YZF R125
    • View Profile
    • Cafe Fazer Build!
The dreaded fork thread!
« on: 01 April 2015, 03:59:58 pm »
Hi guys, onto the fork section of my Cafe Fazer build now. I decided to strip them down and change the seals and oil, I didn't want to have problems down the line. I discovered the stanchion tubes were dented and the chrome was pitted. My mechanical OCD said I had to replace them as I didn't trust them much, nor liked the look of them anyway. I planned on putting Hagon or Hyperpro springs in and a heavier weight oil, however upon discovering that new stanchion tubes were gonna total around £150+, I decided it would be good idea to look into doing a fork swap. I've seen that the Thundercat and TRX850 forks were good options, I just wondered were there any other options, if not then which out of the Thundercat and TRX850 forks were the better option? The TRX850 forks seem to be a bit cheaper and more available on the likes of ebay, but if there's much difference (i.e favouring the thundercat forks) then i'll hang on and do something else with the build until something becomes available.

The speedo drive wont be an issue as I am replacing the standard gauges for a digital Koso set, so I am likely to opt for something like a magnetic drive or something of the like.

Thanks guys![size=78%] [/size]

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded fork thread!
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2015, 05:15:43 pm »
The problem with forks is that with most replacements (as in from other models), you need to replace the entire front end.

Punkstig has a Thundercat front end on his Fazer, using a T-Cat wheel and clamps. Not sure about the TRX, I'm afraid. Or you could go whole hog, and go for a USD conversion!
The Deef's apprentice

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2015, 06:09:19 pm »
T'cat & TRX are the two other Yams with 41mm forks, but both are longer than the FZS600's forks.
The 'Tcat has superior internal parts design - cartridges, whereas the TRX has mediocre damper rod design the same as the FZS600. But...I believe you will need T'cat yokes and front wheel for conversion, so £££. No-one's done a TRX front-end conversion AFAIK.

You can fit different oil & springs to the standard forks, but they will still feel harsh.
You can also add Cartridge emulators to the standard forks which emulate cartridge fork design (at least in the compression stroke). Fitted with aftermarket springs and replacement fork oil they work very well. About £40-50 for Emulators from the US.

But if you don't intend to retain the standard speedo unit then you can go the whole hog & replace the whole front-end, tho the expense goes through the roof as you need to replace yokes and front wheel.
I recently fitted R6/FZS1000 forks / yokes / front wheel to my own bike, but it looks quite similar to standard front setup (as was my intention).
Others prefer the modern look of gold USD forks - early R1 forks seem to be the USD of choice as they are the same length as the FZS600 forks.   

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2015, 07:00:56 pm »
i run standard forks with eliminators shortened vfr750 springs(thanks kebab) with spacers and about 17.5wt oil and  forks through yokes 8mm spent time with fine adjustments etc
made a great improvement over standard  feels planted in all conditions

waters wet, shit stinks !

Bondyboy96

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - YZF R125
    • View Profile
    • Cafe Fazer Build!
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2015, 07:20:52 pm »
Thanks guys, found a good straight tcat front end - minus the wheel - gonna go for that and see how it goes. Seen as the speedo drive is of no concern, is there anything I can do to make the fzs wheel fit? Or Is the spindle a different size or something?

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2015, 09:31:51 pm »
Why would you want to reuse a Fazer wheel? The T-Cat wheel was designed to take the 120 tyre, which is a) more available, b) cheaper, and c) apparently handles better!
The Deef's apprentice

Bondyboy96

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - YZF R125
    • View Profile
    • Cafe Fazer Build!
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2015, 09:40:07 pm »
Ohh ok, im still learning about everything to be honest! The front end ive bought doesnt come with a wheel so it would only be until I get hold of a tcat wheel. its not gonna be ridden for a good few months yet so will probs be one of the later things I do. Will a fazer wheel fit enough to roll the bike around the workshop?

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2015, 09:36:12 pm »
Why would you want to reuse a Fazer wheel? The T-Cat wheel was designed to take the 120 tyre, which is a) more available, b) cheaper, and c) apparently handles better!
i run a 120 front on a fazer rim ! have done for the last 3 years 

waters wet, shit stinks !

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2015, 09:38:09 pm »
i run a 120 front on a fazer rim ! have done for the last 3 years

I know it's doable, but it's not ideal - the tyre ends up a bit pinched. Having a 120 tyre on a 120 wheel is better.  8)
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2015, 03:27:56 pm »
Ohh ok, im still learning about everything to be honest! The front end ive bought doesnt come with a wheel so it would only be until I get hold of a tcat wheel. its not gonna be ridden for a good few months yet so will probs be one of the later things I do. Will a fazer wheel fit enough to roll the bike around the workshop?
Same diameter spindle but the Thundercat one is longer (as the front end is wider) so get the right spindle sooner rather than later.
You can use the current fazer wheel and spindle to push it round the place but beware excess tightening which will pull the forks in!
You can keep the fazer wheel with extra spacers and some washers on the brake calipers to fit, but you're better off with the wheel too!
Some say...