Date: 18-04-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: Bol d'Or 2019  (Read 5511 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Bol d'Or 2019
« Reply #25 on: 29 September 2019, 03:53:05 pm »
A few pics from the Grand Canyon du Verdun and the Routes des Cretes.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2019, 03:58:42 pm »
A few more. I'm not a bird spotter, but the area is home to Griffon vultures, black vultures and Egyptian vultures. A bird afficianado might know what the bird is. The lake is France's largest reservoir Lac de Sainte Croix.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2019, 04:02:59 pm »
A few more. My favourite roadside bar on the Route de Napolean overlooking Grasse and the coastline.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2019, 04:04:38 pm by robbo »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
My prize after a long hot ride, a roadside rock and the Chapel Saint-Michel l'Aiguilhe at Le Puy en Velay, built in the 10th century.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 September 2019, 04:49:00 pm »
Left the Le Puy campsite at 08:08 with about 100 miles worth of petrol which would dictate when breakfast time was going to be. Although the roads were wet and drying, from some unforecast overnight rain, good progress was made through all the good roads up towards the Vichy area, where the good stuff ends and the boring stuff begins. One more fuel stop and I was heading through Troyes for the peage. With my ticket safely tucked away I had plenty of time so no need to rush. After about 10 minutes a couple of UK registered bikes came alongside, cruising only slightly faster and settled in front of me. I was now 4th in a group of 8 or 9 naked style bikes, just indicating and overtaking trucks and slower traffic as and when necessary. I had thoughts of being a Spitfire pilot in a squadron hunting down the enemy. I had planned to eat at the first services which was 20 kms further on, and hoped my new companions were as well. But as I indicated at the exit waves were exchanged and I was on my own again.
With me and the bike refuelled, I changed over to a clear visor as the sun was setting fast. With a nip in the air I decided to wear my waterproof overjacket to help keep the chill off. As I accelerated down the on ramp, the SP carbon can wailing like a banshee, I imagined for a few seconds being Jean Marc starting the night stint at the Bol.......only for a few seconds mind.
I hadn't travelled far before encountering a roadworks for the next 15kms sign. Would I get a rebate on the toll charge as the parallel N road traffic was making  much quicker progress. No of course not. Then the rain started, heavy, heavy rain. With leather bottoms on, my boots began to fill very quickly, why didn't I include the waterproof trousers when I put on the jacket. I just had to grin and bear it until the first exit, where I could hop about struggling to get the trousers on. The rest of the journey to Calais was uneventful if a bit miserable, mostly of my own making.
The M20 was shut for night time roadworks, so diverted around the lanes in order to dictate my own progress. Rolled on to my drive around half past midnight with 621.2 miles on the tripmeter for the day, and 2422 for the week. Thanks Yamaha for producing such a brilliant all rounder, I've had a great week :thumbup .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 September 2019, 04:55:18 pm »
Hedgetrimmer, I've sent a pm :) .

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2019, 07:08:29 pm »
Hedgetrimmer, I've sent a pm :) .

Replied.

Many thanks for posting this trip and especially the photos  :thumbup

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 September 2019, 07:45:34 pm »
Great read pete really enjoyed that mate and great pictures too.glad all went well good on ya :thumbup

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 September 2019, 08:54:49 pm »
Great pics, nearly made up for missing the race. You got lucky with the weather after all.
Awesome route, I am thinking of doing the Castle route in Germany and maybe come back the route you did.
The advantage of retirement, book the boat out and the return boat when you had  enough :D