Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:48 am

Author Topic: DRONES! Must be registered, theory test + yearly fee, or face £1000 fine!  (Read 952 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Drone users in the UK must now pass an online theory test and register as an operator for £9 a year, or face a £1,000 fine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/drone-unmanned-aerial-vehicle-registration-test-fine-laws-a9185391.html

I was building my own multi-rotor flying craft 15+ years ago, when all the materials I'd pickup from a DIY store (wood / square aluminium rod). When you'd spend WEEKS fabricating the Frame then soldering all the wiring plus electronics, plus tweaking your R/C Transmitter settings, to get your creation to hover in a spot - all that effort finally for that moment. A real sense of achievement. 8)
When building/flying such craft was only accessible to the true hobbyist.

Now in 2019 (actually the last Several years) - you can walk in to many high street stores, spend £150+ upwards and walk out 5 minutes later with a ready to fly multi-rotor craft that effectively hovers/flies on its own. A few minutes later, battery charged and you are at your local park happily zipping this thing around the skies - happy days??? Well NO. No understanding of the risks, etiquette, regulations, or how to fly safely - (more importantly, when or where NOT to fly).

This responsibility should have been placed on these "Drone" manufacturers pumping out these mass produced units. The craft should have had some system to disable it flying straight out of the box (like a firmware setting), until the User had successfully read through/acknowledged some safety brief (perhaps that had to be completed online on the manufacturer website), so the new owner was EDUCATED, before taking it out for its maiden flight.

Media channels (pumping out all the bad press) have also created this "5hit storm" we see today. This hysteria surrounding "Drones", plus the public hatred of these craft. Will even go as far as saying the high profile cases in the News with apparent "Drone sightings" at airports (Gatwick / Heathrow), that downed commercial flights for days, were orchestrated stunts by authorities, with this ultimate aim to clamp down (LOCK down) use of these craft on UK soil. Hence the introduction of the above new laws.

I also now find more often than not while out flying my own craft (in my usual RURAL field location) I am on the receiving end of negative attention from members of the public. The last time I was out, a woman approached me and was threatening to call the Police if I did not land it immediately! :rolleyes You can't make this chit up. :)

Anyone else own or fly these fabulous craft, with thoughts on this topic?
Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has had bad experiences associated with these craft. :)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
I have a small drone, not weighed it yet to see if I need to register or not.
I live within the exclusion zone around Gatwick so cannot really use it near my house at all
I used to be an aircraft engineer and still have an interest in aviation so really understand the shit these things can cause if used in the wrong place etc.

The problem with all this registration bollocks is people wont bother. Why would any self respecting terrorist put their registration number on their drone?
Any drones that get found without the number will be confiscated (good)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I don't see what the fuss is about with drones, sure they can be annoying but no big deal. Eh?
Wait have I got this right?

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Sounds like your multi-rotor craft BBROWN1664 would likely be under the 250g threshold?
Plus nothing stopping you from flying it indoors, then the CAA regulations do not apply.
Agreed, anyone planning to fly a "Drone" for 'illegal' purposes, wont consider registering their craft in advance.

"Drones" being used by terrorists is an interesting debate. Perhaps thoughts of military drones come to mind - mini aircraft - Predator / Reaper?
Personally I cant see multi-rotor craft being used for such purposes. Especially these mass produced electric powered multi-rotor craft. They cant lift a heavy payload that would have enough mass to cause multiple casualties (such as explosive material).

I love THOSE "Drones" celticdog, especially in MY garden! Infact I'd welcome more. :lol
Plus I'm sure they are not trying to snoop on the Mrs through the bathroom window, while taking a shower! ;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website

"Drones" being used by terrorists is an interesting debate. Perhaps thoughts of military drones come to mind - mini aircraft - Predator / Reaper?
Personally I cant see multi-rotor craft being used for such purposes. Especially these mass produced electric powered multi-rotor craft. They cant lift a heavy payload that would have enough mass to cause multiple casualties (such as explosive material).

You don't need a lot of high explosive to take out an aircraft engine. In fact, a 250g drone straight down the inlet could kill the engine so you don't need anything significant to carry out a terrorist act as seen by Gatowick airport last year.

BTW- The wife enjoyed the overtime payments she got as a result of that if it was you :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again