Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:50 pm

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505693 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #2275 on: 25 March 2020, 07:46:27 pm »
and for us Luddites

BMW R1200 / R1200GS CANbus System – What BMW say…
On-board network – CAN-bus technology: With fewer cables than ever, the new on-board network ensures a high standard of reliability plus an even wider range of functions. The single-wire system transmits all relevant data via one single wire to the respective control units. Physically, it is a double-wire system with CAN-bus (Controller Area Network) technology consistently interconnecting all control units and the central vehicle electronics (CVE) to form a permanent data network – the various units exchanging data with each other. Apart from simplifying the main wiring harness it also allows efficient, comprehensive diagnosis of all vehicle functions.

A further advantage is that the system no longer requires conventional fuses. CAN-bus technology automatically switches off the suspect component – where possible – and checks whether the function is still defective when the rider again starts the motorcycle. The network also serves to feed all data to the cockpit display on the info-flat-screen. To easily adapt and integrate electronic accessories into the on-board network, there is a plug for special equipment.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: 25 March 2020, 08:29:36 pm »
Well now I know :eek Ta.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: 25 March 2020, 11:47:32 pm »
I once helped a bloke replace a Royal Enfield Bullet fuse with a paperclip.

Is that similar?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: 26 March 2020, 06:35:30 am »
thats a good swap  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: 26 March 2020, 11:50:13 am »
and for us Luddites

BMW R1200 / R1200GS CANbus System – What BMW say…
On-board network – CAN-bus technology: With fewer cables than ever, the new on-board network ensures a high standard of reliability plus an even wider range of functions. The single-wire system transmits all relevant data via one single wire to the respective control units. Physically, it is a double-wire system with CAN-bus (Controller Area Network) technology consistently interconnecting all control units and the central vehicle electronics (CVE) to form a permanent data network – the various units exchanging data with each other. Apart from simplifying the main wiring harness it also allows efficient, comprehensive diagnosis of all vehicle functions.

A further advantage is that the system no longer requires conventional fuses. CAN-bus technology automatically switches off the suspect component – where possible – and checks whether the function is still defective when the rider again starts the motorcycle. The network also serves to feed all data to the cockpit display on the info-flat-screen. To easily adapt and integrate electronic accessories into the on-board network, there is a plug for special equipment.

I sincerely hope it never gives you any problems, you'll need deep pockets

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: 26 March 2020, 12:29:49 pm »
I sincerely hope it never gives you any problems, you'll need deep pockets
Same for everything these days.  Under warranty for the first three years anyway.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: 26 March 2020, 07:40:07 pm »
Does it have the gizmos that seem to be on most modern bikes these days? Cornering ABS/launch control/antiwheelie/quickshifter/auto blipper/riding modes/ ya ya ya etc etc. I seem to recall reading a while ago that some of these high end machines are in contact with the manufacturers via the control system

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: 26 March 2020, 08:04:28 pm »

Does it have the gizmos that seem to be on most modern bikes these days? Cornering ABS/launch control/antiwheelie/quickshifter/auto blipper/riding modes/ ya ya ya etc etc. I seem to recall reading a while ago that some of these high end machines are in contact with the manufacturers via the control system
Fly by wire throttle. 
Two rider modes – wet and normal
It’s got ABS but cornering ABS is extra – so mine doesn’t have it.
No launch control.  But you don't need - the traction control holds the wheel down - it's quick off the mark.

Traction control (standard) keeps the front wheel down – but you can switch if off.
Quickshifter with auto-blipper is extra – was on the test bike – I didn’t think much of it – so not got it

In terms of ya ya ya  :lol

I opted for cruise control – a rip off but I feel essential for average speed zones.
Heated grips – well why wouldn’t you?
Tyre pressure monitor – I’ve shat myself in the past with punctures – this should be standard on every bike now.
Dynamic suspension – well the test bike had it and the suspension was impressive – like a flying carpet – so slected it cos I was concerned I might be disappointed if I didn’t have it.  Anyway it turns the forks gold – which is good on a dull black bike. :)

Other things I opted for – centre stand (yes I know why is it not standard >: )  LED enhanced daylight headlamp (not impressed now I’ve seen it).  Cylinder protector covers – should deal with drops and very very low speed foc ups.

I seem to recall reading a while ago that some of these high end machines are in contact with the manufacturers via the control system
Yeah it’s a got a tracker.  You can go for optional emergency call for 300 quid (I didn't).  If you chuck it down the road it will automatically call you an ambulance (well it’ll contact the BMW control centre and if you don’t respond they will initiate an emergency response). 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: 26 March 2020, 08:22:32 pm »
I've got cruise control on my Tiger. Only used for dull motorway miles when I want to scratch my nose.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: 26 March 2020, 08:33:40 pm »

I've got cruise control on my Tiger. Only used for dull motorway miles when I want to scratch my nose.
When they started introducing average speeds zones well in my last car – a VW Bora 2.0S that I had for just over ten years – I found it quite stressful, you can’t relax.  And one average speed zone now runs for 140 miles from Bridge of Allan to Inverness.  Bu with cruise control in the Yeti it doesn’t really bother me one bit.

So, hoping it works nicely on the bike.

Just wish I could get out on it.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: 26 March 2020, 09:47:36 pm »
Went to take the Tiger for its MOT , wouldn't start , had to cancel the MOT .

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: 26 March 2020, 09:50:27 pm »
Replaced the front sprocket retainer clip on the Ducati Scrambler .

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: 26 March 2020, 10:01:25 pm »
Started  making a Portable climbing wall in the shed for my son and myself. All the T Nuts in now to start the frame Will keep us going until the climbing wall reopens and we can go back on the cliffs again.  :) Bikes staying in the garage 😥

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: 26 March 2020, 10:14:40 pm »
Started  making a Portable climbing wall in the shed for my son and myself. All the T Nuts in now to start the frame Will keep us going until the climbing wall reopens and we can go back on the cliffs again.  :) Bikes staying in the garage 😥

That's a cool idea!
Thats gotta be one of the best things coming out of all this isolation business, people are getting really inventive and doing things they never normally would have the time for 👌

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: 26 March 2020, 10:39:43 pm »

Looks like you took the ceiling down to get some extra height  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: 01 April 2020, 02:28:32 pm »
finished Building the Climbing Wall, Can't varnish it as I have no varnish and all stores are closed.
Just have to screw on the holds and it will be all ready to go. :D
« Last Edit: 01 April 2020, 02:31:00 pm by unfazed »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: 01 April 2020, 06:32:20 pm »
Ignition switch on my Triumph has progressively got iffy over the winter. Have tried cleaning out with WD40 and then lubing it, but is hit and miss whether it will physically switch from off to on. Thought I'd get the switch off for a closer look. What a ball ache
 In order to remove the top yoke the bottom one is supposed to be removed first as there are interlocking lugs on the frame and ignition switch. Have dropped the forks and headlamp assembly. Hoping if I remove the tank tomorrow, I can rotate the top yoke sufficiently to disengage it from the lug on the frame.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: 01 April 2020, 06:37:34 pm »
Clutch cable on my Speed Triple is frayed, so started to work out how to fit the replacement.

Well they couldn't have routed it more complicated and tightly if they'd tried. Looks like most of the bike has to come apart to fit it  :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: 01 April 2020, 06:53:36 pm »

Ignition switch on my Triumph has progressively got iffy over the winter. Have tried cleaning out with WD40 and then lubing it, but is hit and miss whether it will physically switch from off to on. Thought I'd get the switch off for a closer look. What a ball ache
Just a thought.  Now it couldn’t be similar to old Yamaha ignition switch.  What I have to do with the old Fazer thou it put the key in, then pull it back at a slight angle and the ignition switches on and back off just fine - nae bother.  If you put the key in and just try to turn it (as I used to do when it was new), no matter how hard you try to turn it it will not budge. Just seems to be the way it wears.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: 01 April 2020, 06:56:47 pm »
Clutch cable on my Speed Triple is frayed, so started to work out how to fit the replacement.

Well they couldn't have routed it more complicated and tightly if they'd tried. Looks like most of the bike has to come apart to fit it  :eek

Quite a few bikes are like this now especially later types with bodywork.  I just change the the inner cable were possible.  Cut off the upper feral on the old cable pull it out, solder the end of a new inner cable, push it through and solder the ends on.  Obviously I've got the cable and fittings to do it and you've got to use the correct solder electrical wont do, you need silver solder. 

You can most times (if it's not too late) secure the new cable outer to the old and pull it through still a faff but better than stripping.     
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: 01 April 2020, 07:18:24 pm »
You can most times (if it's not too late) secure the new cable outer to the old and pull it through still a faff but better than stripping. 
I thought about that, but unfortunately the bottom end of the cable has a hard metal sleeve at an angle, and I'm not sure it would drag through without catching.
My Bantam was never this difficult  :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: 02 April 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
Well, got the top yoke off by rotating it through 180° with the tank off. The plug on the end of the harness was a battle to get out of the headlamp, but after laying a few focs into it, it gave up the struggle. Drilling the security bolt heads off, took quite a while, good job I've got a pillar drill. When it finally came away from the top yoke I left the switch  soaking for a few hours in paraffin, then after drying it, gave it a good go with graphite grease. Then lo and behold it burst into almost perfect on/off movement.
The top yoke gained a few chips in the process, so I'll prepare that tomorrow for a rattle can respray. Sundays temperatures will be ideal for some spraying.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: 02 April 2020, 08:11:27 pm »

Hats off to you. Brilliant idea

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: 10 April 2020, 01:49:24 pm »
Cleared the mess down the side of the house so I could get the ‘other’ bike round to wash it in the sun!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: 10 April 2020, 08:58:51 pm »
Like the little stool - looks like you are about to milk it  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.