Date: 24-04-24  Time: 15:05 pm

Author Topic: Best Helmet for Under £150?  (Read 1067 times)

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
Best Helmet for Under £150?
« on: 20 September 2019, 08:46:40 am »
AGV K3 any good?

Any other recommendations?
If it aint broke, make it better

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Best Helmet for Under £150?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2019, 01:21:54 pm »

For what it’s worth I’ve found Caberg and Givi lids suit me, but helmet choice is such a personal thing that I’ve never found advice or even Ride ratings to be much help.
I prefer helmets with seat-buckle type fasteners rather than the D-loop sort and like to have a flip-down sun visor. Beyond that it’s a question of trial and error in an actual shop where you can check for fit, because everyone’s bonce is different.
I wear glasses, so that is another factor… some helmets that would otherwise be fine are too tight at the sides to accommodate the arms of spectacles.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2019, 01:47:28 pm »
The AGV K3 is very good and probably one of the best lids at that price point and easily one of the best looking too IMO,
 I've also have a Caberg Duke that was around that price point. Was an alright lid, comfy with a nice wide visor but very squeaky and plasticky also very noisy but that was to be expected with it being a flip front.

One thing to consider with helmets at that price it the look/colour. To you might find you can get a £200 helmet for £150 just by getting it in plain black/white instead of a fancy paint job.

Also worth checking out ghostbikes.com as they regularly have clearance offers on the last years colours/designs still in stock or customer returns which can save £100s 👍

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 05:19:02 pm »

For what it’s worth I’ve found Caberg and Givi lids suit me, but helmet choice is such a personal thing that I’ve never found advice or even Ride ratings to be much help.
I prefer helmets with seat-buckle type fasteners rather than the D-loop sort and like to have a flip-down sun visor. Beyond that it’s a question of trial and error in an actual shop where you can check for fit, because everyone’s bonce is different.
I wear glasses, so that is another factor… some helmets that would otherwise be fine are too tight at the sides to accommodate the arms of spectacles.

That's why you rarely see politicians riding motorbikes, because they can't find a helmet with two faces.  :rollin

Sorry......no politics, my bad.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2019, 08:09:49 pm »
Any other recommendations?

The most important thing is that any helmet must *fit* you properly.

Go to a dealer and try on lots of them until you find one that is comfortable and secure, check that it doesn't wobble on your head and can't be pulled off with the strap done up if you lift up at the rear.

Once you've found ones that work well for your head shape, look up the Sharp rating to make sure it will give good protection.

Also, as DudeofRude recommends, you can save a fair bit by getting it in a plain colour instead of a fancy paint scheme.

Finally check for discounts on slightly older models, eg I got my Shoei XR-1100 for almost half the original price because it had been superceded by a newer version, but it still had good ratings for safety etc.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2019, 08:39:50 pm »
Racevisors.co.uk are having an end of season sale. Use code NE25 to get 25% off at the check out.Rob
« Last Edit: 20 September 2019, 08:40:31 pm by Rob R »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2019, 10:03:50 pm »
Bear in mind that helmets, or any bike clothing for that matter when new, don't always feel perfect but need time to gel to your shape.
But as mentioned it must feel right from the off, and if it doesn't then keep trying others.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2019, 08:34:34 am »
Thanks for all your advice guys, I went for an AGV K3 after all in matt black from J&S on the A41 just outside Wolves. They even price matched, so I got it for £127.49.
If it aint broke, make it better