Date: 27-04-24  Time: 01:54 am

Author Topic: Fork Rebound Damping  (Read 1174 times)

babemagnet

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 with Akra, BT1100 Bulldog
    • View Profile
Fork Rebound Damping
« on: 13 August 2014, 09:56:05 pm »
While my forks are dismantled for cleaning , inspection and re-oiling I have found that my rebound damping adjusters have 42 clicks.
Both Haynes and Yamaha service manuals state this should be 17 clicks with standard setting at 7 clicks out which is where they had been set at.

Has anyone else got 42 click adjusters and if so what is standard setting?

My bike is registered in 05 so may be one of the last ones made, Have Yamaha used any old bits they had left over in the factory to finish the last few bikes?

As I am about to install Devilsyam R6 rear conversion I want the front right as well so your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.   :\

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Rebound Damping
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2014, 08:58:54 am »
The number of clicks you get from the adjusters isn't the same as the effective range of adjustment, if that makes sense.

Basically, once you have the adjuster 17 clicks out that's minimum damping and going further doesn't make any difference.

babemagnet

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 with Akra, BT1100 Bulldog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2014, 11:24:44 am »
Aah thanks........that would also explain why I have 29 clicks on my compression damping adjuster instead of the 21 as stated in the manuals...
So it's the clicks out from fully in that matters and not the total number.

Suspension has always confused me so will adjust everything to standard and get used to it as it is.

Many thanks again.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
Suspension has always confused me so will adjust everything to standard and get used to it as it is.
TBH that's not the best policy, getting the suspension set up right regardless of whether it's the OEM kit or refurbished / new kit can make a big difference to how well you gel with the bike. By all means set everything to stock but then go out for a ride with a mate and stop every few miles and get them to make a tweak on one set of the adjusters without letting you know what they have done and see if it makes the ride better or worse, repeat until you've got that setting right then get them to move on to the next set of adjusters, within a couple of hours you will have everything tweaked to just how you like it and have a better idea of how each adjuster effects the ride. It would be useful to get the preload set before you start off on your ride and then whilst you're out just concentrate on the compression then rebound damping front and back.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2014, 08:21:57 pm »
Good advice PieEater. I take a notepad with me. It's very easy to get lost with the settings.