Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:31 am

Author Topic: Just bought a 1000 Fazer  (Read 19088 times)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
Just bought a 1000 Fazer
« on: 17 July 2017, 10:50:23 am »
Thought I'd drop an intro on here as well as the welcome section.

I've just bought myself a cheap (£950) Fazer 1000 on a 52 plate with highish mileage (48000) taken a bit of a gamble as it's a non-runner - fuel pump is definitely not operating, so I'm hoping it's a simple fix.

I'm having to have the bike transported (as it's not running) so am getting impatient awaiting it's arrival, hopefully Wednesday.

I'm sure I'll be asking lots of probably silly questions on here as I go through the bike.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 10:50:57 am by reggit »

Lord_D

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZXR750R
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a 1000 Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2017, 02:14:17 pm »
Sounds like you might have got a bargain there.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Nullius in Verba | Per Ardua Surgo

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2017, 07:07:38 pm »
Welcome Reggit.

You'll find that we're a helpful bunch on here with even a guru or two on the Gen1.

Good luck with the project and let us all know how you're getting on in due course.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2017, 07:20:35 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.

Bike arrived late afternoon today.  I'll get some pics up soon.

Not done much, but unfortunately found out the pump does work, and the carb floatbowls where also full, so not as simple as I'd hoped :-( 

There is also a spark, but only tried on a new plug - I need to whip the plugs out and compression check the engine. 

Ignition switch needs a good looking at or replacing as it's stiff as anything.

I'm sure there'll be a lot more needs doing.....  but first thing is seeing if the engine is good.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
The ignition switches tend to wear.  Plenty of wd40 should get it moving again.
But you may find due to wear you have push to key forward or back when in the barrel then turn.
Mine won't budge unless I give it a nudge one way to turn on, then the other to turn off and lock.  As long as I do that it works no problem.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2017, 10:33:07 pm »

This is how it looks at 5pm today when it rolled off the van  - the picture makes it look nice!

fazer by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I've so far found one of the coils is arcing out, there's coolant sitting in the rocker cover where a coolant pipe enters, the coolant is pressurising when I try and start it - looking head gasket ish to me at the minute :-(

Question - how the heck are you meant to get to the rocker cover/spark plugs with all the gubbins that sits above it? I've not seen so much stuff on any of my other bikes.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 10:44:01 pm by reggit »

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2017, 10:50:56 pm »

The ignition switches tend to wear.  Plenty of wd40 should get it moving again.
But you may find due to wear you have push to key forward or back when in the barrel then turn.
Mine won't budge unless I give it a nudge one way to turn on, then the other to turn off and lock.  As long as I do that it works no problem.

Thanks for that tip, it needs pulling back a bit then it's happy.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2017, 11:02:15 pm »
The gubbins is the Air Injection System and this has to be removed to get the cam cover off.  You can remove it permanently with no effect on performance. 

As I new Fazer owner, I recommend you take a look at Pat's Site and you'll find loads on great info on how to maintain and mod this bike, including AIS removal:

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2017, 11:09:01 pm »
If you haven't done so already have a read through the FAQ at the top of the page.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2017, 02:01:10 pm »

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/index.html

AIS easy done with tap and grub screws, no need to buy little covers that fit over, you can get all from ebay for a few quid. Tap just needs to be turned using a spanner due to space limitations. Cutting fluid and nice and slow/careful 

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2017, 03:39:59 pm »

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/index.html

AIS easy done with tap and grub screws, no need to buy little covers that fit over, you can get all from ebay for a few quid. Tap just needs to be turned using a spanner due to space limitations. Cutting fluid and nice and slow/careful

That's a good site that has been linked to.  I've pulled the AIS off - need to check valve clearances anyway to see if that's a reason the bike won't start - got a huge backfire out of it earlier - I really suspect the head will need to come off at some point, but looking at the state of the exhaust studs, I'm hoping not!

Happy tapping and blocking the exhaust fittings, are you saying you don't block the airbox pipe hole?

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2017, 07:17:54 pm »

This makes interesting (horrifying) reading!  I've deliberately blocked out the company name.
invoice by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr

especially when you look at these bits I've taken off the bike .
Are these plugs really just over a year old and covered less than 500 miles?  Bike is showing 49,247 miles now.

spark plugs by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr
close up plugs by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr

and the ignition coil (1&4) that is arcing on the body and look at the leads - sorry a bit out of focus!
HT leads by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr

This is why I do my own servicing! 

« Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 07:22:26 pm by reggit »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2017, 07:40:49 pm »
What a bunch of bloody ripoff merchants!  Those plugs are never 500 miles old and the rest of their worksheet reads like a comic.  How do dealers get away with this crap? 

At least you didn't foot the bill for that outrageous job sheet but seriously, name and shame the robbing bastards! 

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2017, 07:54:04 am »
What a bunch of bloody ripoff merchants!  Those plugs are never 500 miles old and the rest of their worksheet reads like a comic.  How do dealers get away with this crap? 

At least you didn't foot the bill for that outrageous job sheet but seriously, name and shame the robbing bastards!

Ditto, ditto & ditto once more for good measure!  :eek :eek :eek
That garage are ying, cheating, con artist w**nkers - as Mike says, name & shame so others will know to avoid!

However....Maybe the whole bike does just needs a good service actually done & you'll be good to go....fingers crossed!  :)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2017, 10:41:39 am »
It's getting that good service - valve clearances today/tomorrow - depending on how long it takes to get shims if needed.

New coil on order, new plugs ready to go in.

What was interesting, I couldn't get my plug socket in with the rocker cover on, the sealing gasket around the plug holes was swollen on both outside plugs - didn't bother trying the middle ones.  Looks like they haven't been done in donkeys years!

The invoice I pictured was from 'two wheels only' in London.  My hesitation in posting that earlier was that there is no traceability of the parts from the bike leaving them to me buying it.  Could someone have changed new bits for old?  (I doubt it but you never know).

I have a feeling it will be OK after giving it a major service.

I may need to source the coolant pipes that bolt to the top of the head and run through the rocker cover as the ones on mine are badly corroded and not sealing well to the rubber hoses.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2017, 07:17:54 am »

Valve clearances checked and although slightly tight can wait until winter when I'll have plenty of time to have the cams out.

I'm currently the middle of tapping the AIS holes on the exhaust to block them off.

Next question....

Having drained around a gallon and half of 'rusty petrol' out of the tank, I'm left with quite a lot of debris in the bottom - any suggestions on how to get the majority of this out?  I'm loath to use a sealer as the tank isn't holed or anything (and it'll gum up the level sensor).  Did wonder if washing it out in diesel would work - it's heavier than petrol, may hold the debris in suspension to drain it out?

After this my attention turns to the carbs - guessing these will have ingested rusty petrol!

I'm feeling fairly happy now that I know why it doesn't run, and it should be good once the servicing/cleaning is complete.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2017, 07:21:11 am by reggit »

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2017, 05:50:38 am »
She runs! :-)

Only on starting fluid at the minute as I haven't got the tank cleaned out fully, but there's life in the old girl!
Only needed a good service as was paid for by the last owner.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2017, 06:50:27 am »
Nice one!  Hope you sort out all the niggles and get her running as a well-kept Fazer should. :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2017, 01:41:38 pm »
Yes good news, I've been following this thread with interest, keep us posted.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2017, 04:05:57 pm »
Yes good news, I've been following this thread with interest, keep us posted.

Same as that

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2017, 07:10:25 pm »

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2017, 11:34:11 pm »
Make it live! We're all on your side!

Poor old Fazer, being treated badly by that shabby bunch in London. I see Two Wheels Only's website domain is up for sale. Are they even still in business? I'm pretty sure I got a set of tyres fitted by them decades ago, but never used them for service.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2017, 12:01:45 am »
How did you get the cam cover off?  Does the coolant from the pipes on top drain out of weep holes in the block like a spark plug drain hole?

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2017, 01:20:05 pm »

How did you get the cam cover off?  Does the coolant from the pipes on top drain out of weep holes in the block like a spark plug drain hole?

Take AIS off - i'm in the middle of removing this completely and have run into a problem (separate thread).  HT heads off and hooked up out of the way, coolant pipes off - I unbolted the 'stat housing to get more room. 

6x Allen bolts hold the cam cover on, it just lifts off and slides out of the frame, access is a little tight and it needs a little jiggling around to get it out.

Didn't notice where coolant dribbles went (not in engine though) so can't help there.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 July 2017, 04:37:19 pm »

Well, you'll probably guess from the following picture that I'm not too unhappy!    Just need to set the clock....

It was smoking quite heavily from the exhaust initially, but that cleared to steam - guessing it's nothing to worry about and just remnants of it's previously poor state of health.

It has a rock steady idle and runs up (off load) nicely.  I've still got  a good few jobs to attend to, but the battle appears to be won!  Just getting impatient now!

Stiff throttle next.....

« Last Edit: 29 July 2017, 04:50:03 pm by reggit »