Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:20 pm

Author Topic: Sick of this every foccing year.  (Read 6793 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Sick of this every foccing year.
« on: 07 May 2015, 08:46:10 pm »
Insurance renewal came through and Carole Nash want £247. They can foc off, got a quote from mce for £99.
And while I am in moaning mode whats with the massive excess nowadays, £500 seems to be the norm.
Carole Nash also put in their renewal that if I did not contact them they would automaticaly renew my insurance,  some poor sod that works there is going to get a Mr Angry phone call from me tomorrow.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Sick of this every foccing year.
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2015, 09:02:59 pm »
Just got a quote through from my current insurer, Bennetts. Will go online, see what's cheaper, then challenge Bennetts to match or beat it.

If insurance companies won't automatically reduce your premium, no reason to be loyal to one or t'other. Got an SP30 to add now though, but bet I can at least pay no more than last time.

jimbojim

• Cager in Training
  • if in dout, flat out. colin macrae (1968-2007)
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2015, 09:15:35 pm »
learnt my lesson on not cancelling before the renewal date, mines was automaticly renewed, when I called to tell them I didn't want it renewed they said id have to pay a cancelation fee for the new policy as I hadn't said I wasn't renewing before the previous policy ran out, 40 bucks that cost me, the reason they automaticly renew it is so you wont run illegally if you forget to renew. just a con really

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2015, 09:36:02 pm »
Same here went away over Easter got back £300 lighter then phoned them to say I had put a power commander on and said it won't increase my premium but will cost £32 in admin fee
Bennett won't get my custom again

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2015, 10:18:11 pm »
I've found getting insurance at the beginning of the year cheaper, think it's because either the accident rate is less for the months before or the companies are looking for business and tend to cut each other to get a new deal.
When I last got a quote online it didn't include any added stuff like breakdown or leather cover etc, was quoted £90 fully comp with hastings direct, went to Scottish bike show and mce quoted me £176, including every sort of extra you could think of, I duly declined and they said hang on we'll have a look, 5 minutes later and they reduced it to £110 including all the stuff, I then bit their hand off :lol
And if I do any changes to the policy online, there is no administration fee or policy change fee.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2015, 10:20:02 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2015, 10:50:44 pm »
I think pretty much all these shysters do the auto-renewal con. NEVER let them auto renew! They ramp up prices and profit from your apathy. Always get a new quote from MCN, Gocompare etc - I guarantee you will get a cheaper quote. Then phone up your current insurer and ask if they can beat your new quote? If not then politely tell them to shove their auto-renewal up their momma's ass. Unfortunately it's still legal for them to auto renew so you've got to be on your toes about your expiry date. If you're forgetful then set a reminder on your phone calendar for a month before its due.

As for the 'extras' I'm very dubious about these as well. If you make a claim for anything you will only pay for it in the long run with increased premiums in future. Better to put the money in a savings account instead. If you don't make any claims for a few years, you will have some money saved up to buy some new stuff.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2015, 11:21:10 pm »
I feel these auto renewals are the next PPI, this needs looking into and everyone who has been caught out needs compensating
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2015, 08:59:45 am »
When I bought my bike (March 2013) I insured it and was told my policy was a 15 month policy. OK I says, except that put my renewal in June 2014. they then charged me an extra £90 for buying insurance on the 3rd June because it was in the "Summer Season" and therefore all insurance companies did this. I checked, and sure enough they were more expensive from 1st June.

So this year, I'm getting a quote from the end of May, or just starting my insurance a week earlier.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2015, 09:13:24 am »
Bennetts, £70 fully comp........did what Crash Boy Nicky did, challenged them to beat it and they did.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2015, 09:16:03 am »
Just got a quote through from my current insurer, Bennetts. Will go online, see what's cheaper, then challenge Bennetts to match or beat it.

If insurance companies won't automatically reduce your premium, no reason to be loyal to one or t'other. Got an SP30 to add now though, but bet I can at least pay no more than last time.

And an accident Nick.....unless your not putting a claim in for your banana skin bike  :lol

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2015, 09:35:08 am »
96quid fully comp on the fz1 with bennnets more than happy no claims protected too.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2015, 09:56:32 am »
I challenged bennetts in march & got mine halved!!! plus got excess down to £200 compulsory & £0 voluntary..
I argued that 3 points were coming off end of may as it 5 years on them & others go to 4 years in april!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2015, 10:56:22 am »
Just checked for quotes, mine's due in 3 weeks.

I valued the bike at £1000, and one of the quotes was this.

What's that excess all about?  :eek

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2015, 11:01:57 am »

And an accident Nick.....unless your not putting a claim in for your banana skin bike  :lol

Nope, no accidents  ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2015, 11:51:13 am »
Excess is used to offset the premium - they win either way and allows them to be more competitive in the market. Low premiums attract more customers but the high excess ensures that they aren't out of pocket should you claim

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2015, 12:51:40 pm »
Excess is used to offset the premium - they win either way and allows them to be more competitive in the market. Low premiums attract more customers but the high excess ensures that they aren't out of pocket should you claim

It's money for nothing!!!

£95 if i don't claim, and if i do, seeing as £825 is probably higher than the book value anyway, they just got £95 for a bit of paper.  :rolleyes

Daylight fucking robbery!  :grumble
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2015, 01:27:47 pm »
Pretty much, but ultimately it's £95 against the risk factor of a potential claim

I work around Travel Insurance at the moment and there are many instances of insurance being sold for say £20, excess of about £100 in some cases but the claims can rack up to well over £25,000 and the vast majority of claims will well exceed the Premium + Excess especially on cheaper insurance. The only way they can possibly make money is by trying to outsell volume over risk of claim... it's a crazy game they try to play and ultimately a lot of underwriters have been hit hard recently.

Still, it's a different market to vehicle insurance, but uses most of the same concepts

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

Nope, no accidents  ;)

Not as simple as that now. Since the law changed and the onus is now on the insurance companies asking questions, instead of relying on honest disclosure, they've tightened up some of the questions.

Claims wording from Bennetts now reads - Have you had or caused any accidents, claims, losses, incidents or damage in any vehicle during the past 3 years whether or not a claim was made and regardless of blame?

Assuming the police attended the incident, there will be a record of the accident accessible to the insurers, potentially invalidating your insurance if you don't declare it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2015, 02:37:19 pm »
That's just moronic. I can sort of see what they are trying to do (see if you are likely to be accidentally damage your vehicle) but ultimately anything not claimed for should be omitted from decisions affecting your premium imo. By their logic you would have to admit to accidentally scratching your car / bike with say the zip of your jacket...

I'll continue to play the game in my own way and accept the associated risks just as they do for insuring me

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2015, 02:38:04 pm »
Just got mine renewed through Bennets today....£65 TPF&T.......but purely a paperwork excercise on my behalf for ANPR and police stops.

Not being funny but say for example my bike was heavily modded & was actually looking to claim back all its various bits and pieces my quotes would end up impractical.

Far as im concerned i wont be expecting any money back if i bin my bike but if it gets solen & unrecovered then i will get money back.

This is another reason for running a bike that doesnt cost a great deal......i wouldnt want to run a 7 or 8 grand bike and take those same risks.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2015, 02:46:38 pm »
Yes I have seen excess slowly creep up too, and always factor this in when getting quotes.
I never knew that about summer quotes - mine is in October, I wonder if it is worth while for those hit by summer quotes to go for a 6month one then 12 even though you will not be adding another year NCB in doing so, is that right that if you only insure 6 months a year you dont gain NCB 

« Last Edit: 08 May 2015, 02:50:13 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2015, 02:53:13 pm »
I did some playing around when I was renewing mine. Increasing and decreasing the voluntary excess both decreased the premium on the comparison websites as different insurers would quote against different values.

Just saying, but worth a play.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2015, 04:01:31 pm »
Another option - don't worry about the huge excess, just make sure your insurance company does excess protection insurance before you take out a policy! (usually costs an extra £20/£30) - drops your excess, usually cheaper than paying for a policy with a lower excess in the first place

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2015, 04:14:44 pm »
Bennetts for my FZ6 and MT-01, first year £112 last year £130 (they wanted 170 till I phoned up) this year £195 got Carole Nash to match it plus get "free brakedown etc" told Bennetts to stuff theirs even after they reduced it £25, so I then phoned RAC to cancel my renewal which saves me £85, asked why I told them they have increased the price by over 20% why, I've never used it.
House insurance.......... don't have any, I'm taking the risk, couldn't get any to start with as I bought it as uninsured flooded property and when the risk had gone due to flood defences they still wanted over £1000 a year so I must be 15k in pocket now. Rant over.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2015, 05:52:28 pm »
Yes I have seen excess slowly creep up too, and always factor this in when getting quotes.
I never knew that about summer quotes - mine is in October, I wonder if it is worth while for those hit by summer quotes to go for a 6month one then 12 even though you will not be adding another year NCB in doing so, is that right that if you only insure 6 months a year you dont gain NCB
Fazer, you can also go for a month to month insurance to get it to the date you want, costs a wee bit more but maybe worth looking into?
As far a losing your ncb, I wouldn't think you can get it for less than a year but changing the date to suit might save you more in tge long run.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)