Author Topic: Dslr  (Read 2070 times)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dslr
« on: 04 May 2015, 06:49:33 pm »
Ok I know that this has been asked before but I can't find it.  I'm pondering over getting a dslr camera but I know nothing about them I always just use my phone. I would typically use it for holiday pics and a few scenery pics when I'm out and about.  Do any of you have any advice of what to look for what to avoid etc. I may choose to buy used initially to keep costs down.
Cheers
Andy

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Dslr
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2015, 07:36:10 pm »
I use a sony but if starting out I'd go with Nikon or Canon just because there are more people to help you learn and accessories and lens are more easily available
I wouldn't go second hand - they tech is moving so quickly  used are much worse than entry level new ones and there is no price difference. I'd grab a Nikon D3200 - with  the 18 -55 lens will set you back £250- £280 depending on how much you trust no name internet shops!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
if photography is something you are interested in becoming more involved in then a dslr could be a good choice. if its just for the odd holiday photo and days out etc then its likely a good compact or bridge camera would be a better choice as you wont be using a dslr to its full potential.

if you DO go for a DSLR, then IMO you should make sure you buy one with the auto focus motor inside the body, rather than in the lens like you get with the newer lower end Nikon's for example. The reason for this is that the lenses without autofocus are much more readily available, and are cheaper. I have a D3100 (Nikon) and it does not have autofocus, so you either need to spend more on each lens with in-built autofocus, or focus manually.

good used kit is available on a number of photography forums like talk photography. its best buying from somewhere like that other than ebay as it tends to be enthusiasts who have looked after the kit properly.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 07:39:00 pm by mickvp »

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
I saw something on the gadget show about dslr versus ones without a mirror.  Im not sure how it finished but it looks like a competition so that has to be good for prices.  I reckon some of the more clued up people on here can tell you more.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2015, 04:50:43 pm »
There's not much wrong with S/H bodies if you find a good one at a good price. If you shop around, not just on ebay, can pick up bargains Decide what you want first then shop. I've had Nikon, Pentax, Canon and gone back to Nikon.

Read the specs. Make sure it hasn't got a high shutter count. 25,000 shutter actuations is still pretty low for a S/H body. Also as mentioned AF motor in the body. Aperture coupling ring would also be a bonus. This would open up the variety of lenses available.

As mentioned D3100 is a good buy though accessing some of the menus can be a pain and time consuming. Same can be said for the D5000 and D5100. You don't need mega, mega pixels unless you're blowing your pics up to AO size... 12MP is just fine for every day use and will enlarge to A1 no probs as long as the glass you're using is good quality. I'm just as happy shooting with my old D90 just as much as my D7100. The D7100 IMO is one of... Is the best DX DSLR on the market and if you shop around you can pick them up for dirt.

Advice Alway use same make lenses. They always work and are faster at auto focusing.

Kit lenses: Some good points. Some bad points. The Nikon 18-55 and 18-105 have plastic lens mounts so be aware they can break if knocked. I've done my 18-105 mount several times and repaired it several times. (You can buy a repair kit for about £4.00 and it takes about 20 minutes). Then I bought another. Reason: for a budget kit lens it's tac sharp all the way through the range. A fantastic budget lens as long as you look after it.

Apart from the Pro lenses I have, if I travel I take two lenses. The 18-105 DX lens and 70-300 VRII. The later is an FX lens but gives coverage of 105-410mm on a DX body.

Word of warning. Once you start on the road to SLR and DSLR you can get hooked.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2015, 08:40:16 am by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2015, 10:00:40 pm »
been down this road and to be fair my memory lets me down could never get that right combination
so moved over to bridge camera and never looked back massive zoom and still has dlsr controls
fuji xs-1 been very pleased so far

www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2015, 10:41:46 pm »
been down this road and to be fair my memory lets me down could never get that right combination
so moved over to bridge camera and never looked back massive zoom and still has dlsr controls
fuji xs-1 been very pleased so far

Same here but went with a Nikon - happy as a sand boy.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2015, 06:48:04 am »
Yes I've been thinking would a bridge camera be more suitable for what I'm likely to need. Considering I use the camera on my phone at the moment either is going to be a step change.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

Image sensor size is a critical factor. Bridge cameras tend to have small sensors. Some, like Devilsyam's Fuji are better, but most have 1/2.3" sensors, only slightly bigger than those in a mobile phone, so image quality won't be great. The main selling point of a bridge is the lens: they try to wow punters by having a colossal zoom ratio, but the usefulness of the extreme telephoto is pretty limited.
I'd recommend something with a larger sensor and a more modest zoom. If portability is an issue, then there are mirrorless cameras like Sony's NEX, micro four thirds offerings from Olympus and Panasonic or the Nikon 1.