Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:28 pm

Author Topic: Talk to me about fz6's - maybe trading up my fzs600  (Read 2211 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Talk to me about fz6's - maybe trading up my fzs600
« on: 07 August 2016, 12:07:43 pm »
So I'm looking at a 58 fz6. It looks in decent nick, only a few scrapes on the fairing. Has done 25000, is there anything to look out for specifically, anything that's likely to need doing shortly on terms of expensive maintenance etc?

Any advice would be great :)

Cheers

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to me about fz6's - maybe trading up my fzs600
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2016, 12:36:21 pm »
So I'm looking at a 58 fz6. It looks in decent nick, only a few scrapes on the fairing. Has done 25000, is there anything to look out for specifically, anything that's likely to need doing shortly...

Except keeping your old Fazer? I was looking at this and do not think the engine and the power delivery is smoother then my Fazer. And the brakes are not so good. The suspension is slightly better for S2 model.

Otherwise the bike looks great, but it is a step back from the old Fazer IMO.

Like most Yamaha's the bike is buletproof. There are no recalls for machines after 2005. The only recall ever was for idle sensor for 2005 bikes. So you will be fine.

I would change the front sprocket to 1 tooth less to 15 to give it a little more poke.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2016, 12:49:40 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
So I'm looking at a 58 fz6. It looks in decent nick, only a few scrapes on the fairing. Has done 25000, is there anything to look out for specifically, anything that's likely to need doing shortly on terms of expensive maintenance etc?

Cheers
suggest you test ride bike before commiting. Think you will find it isnt any better than what youre currently riding. I bought one a few years ago but sold it 5 months later. You could always spend a bit upgrading your current bike. eg Braided brake lines, improved suspension. Its got to be a good bike to beat the Boxeye/Foxeye.
In your situation I would either upgrade to a low mileage Foxeye or as said spend a bit on the current bike. IMO FZ6 was not a step forward other than to comply with Euro 4 emissions ( fuel injection rather than carbs). Brakes are not as good as the blue spots.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2016, 08:45:49 pm »

Cheers

Agree with others, apart from maybe looks it's a performance/handling step down from box/foxeye models. It'll also cook your arse in the summer with the underseat pipes. If it were my money I'd buy a nice foxeye and add a few nice upgrades. Good luck.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2016, 10:45:46 am »
Hey all, thanks for the comments. Interesting read, definitely going to think about it.

I was aiming for something newer as my 00' fzs has become a bit of a money pit and I'm hoping to avoid that. Also with rumours of older bikes being charged in London soon, I was taking into account that as well.

Regarding the brakes, the bike I'm looking at has blue spots on the front so does that mean they were fitted afterwards? ** Actually, as it's a 58 plate, does this mean it's the S2? Trying to get clarification on this from the dealer now.

In terms of a step down, is it something drastic? I guess I'll find out on the test ride, I'm just curious as to how much difference it would be.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, might not be what i'd been hoping to hear as I, so far, really like the bike, but it's good to know. I'll definitely give it a proper test ride!

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: 08 August 2016, 11:04:05 am by HJFazer »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2016, 11:46:59 am »

. . . I was aiming for something newer as my 00' fzs has become a bit of a money pit and I'm hoping to avoid that.

What's up with the fzs fella? There's always options available with these great little bikes to keep them on the road  :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2016, 10:29:22 am »
Hey, sorry for not coming back, been away with work.

Nothing major wrong with FZS, just a bit tatty and has had to have a lot done recently. In someways I guess I should have swapped before, but financially it wasn't an option. Now a little bit of money has come my way and I want a newer bike that hopefully won't keep needing work.

Also, to be honest, I want a newer bike. The FZ6 is the 09 s2 which as I understand, is a little bit better than the original fz6's

I have taken on board what people have said though and am going to test ride it to see what I think. If I'm honest though, I really want to like it. It looks nice, I love the riding style of the Fazer and would like to stay as a Foccer  ;)

Will see what I think though and make a decision after.

Cheers for all the advice/input though, it's been helpful

HJF

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2016, 12:20:08 pm »
Trade up  :eek wash your mouth out, more like sideways than up I would say.

I am with you actually on wanting something newer I don't ride enough now and I wouldn't want to spend all my time keeping it on the road if things kept going wrong after all its 18 years old now. Having said that because I don't ride often then the fazer is a great bike to keep on the road as (mostly ) you can fix things yourself cheaply with the help of this forum.

If I ever changed it would be to a street tripple which I consider a move up.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2016, 01:24:47 pm »
In a not too dissimilar dilemma to yourself, what do I swap my 2003 FZS600 for when the ULEZ comes into force. Will definitely be in place in 2020 for the congestion charge area of London. With some movement on it possibly coming in earlier and being extended to area within North/Soutch circulars. (https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-unveils-action-plan-to-battle-toxic-air)

I do like my FZS600. For commuting everyday into town it perfect, reliable, economical, decent tank range, manoeuvrable, plenty enough beans, cheap to run, cheap to insure when living in the suburbs, not too desirable to thieves, handles pillion fine; and still decent enough for fun at weekends and some light touring. Almost everything newer in similar class just doesn't quite cover all those bases as well, or just seems a step backwards, or is just gonna cost too much cash (to buy and insure). :-(

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2016, 08:28:46 pm »
I own both...different bikes good at different things..love the old FZSs but the S2 is the bike Yamaha built when the FZ6 didn't capture the hearts of FZS owners.
The Frying Scotsman

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2016, 07:11:00 am »
Ah, then you're the man I should speak to Big Mac :)

Well, I test rode it yesterday and I'll be honest... I like it!! It's different but not worse at all. I'm hesitant to say better, but based on the ride it's as good as my fzs.

I see the point about the seat getting warm from the exhaust, but I'm going to take that as a bonus when I'm riding in October ;)

Generally the bike felt smooth, easy acceleration, nice sound, handled well... Definitely need a new screen though. First investments will be a double bubble and a fender extender.

Assuming I get enough for my fzs I'm going to go for it. Will be sad to see her go, but glad I'll be staying in the Foccer family

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2016, 11:54:53 am »
Hey all, thanks for the comments. Interesting read, definitely going to think about it.

I was aiming for something newer as my 00' fzs has become a bit of a money pit and I'm hoping to avoid that. Also with rumours of older bikes being charged in London soon, I was taking into account that as well.
Cheers :)

In a not too dissimilar dilemma to yourself, what do I swap my 2003 FZS600 for when the ULEZ comes into force. Will definitely be in place in 2020 for the congestion charge area of London. With some movement on it possibly coming in earlier and being extended to area within North/Soutch circulars. (https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-unveils-action-plan-to-battle-toxic-air)

Ahhhhh the ULEZ !! That makes the change more worthwhile. I've already covered this angle with a 57 CBF1000 & 58 Bandit 650 as I commute every day into London and am buggered if they want to charge £12.50/day for a bike. As said, I've also heard this may come earlier than planned....also heard 2017.

No chance of having 2 bikes then. The FZ6 for commuting and the FZS for a bit of scratching ?
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.