Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:00 pm

Author Topic: Spot lights  (Read 26184 times)

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Spot lights
« on: 10 December 2016, 09:18:13 pm »
Like them on the gs or other type bikes. has anyone fitted some with any success ? are the cheap ones any good?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Spot lights
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 09:44:55 pm »
Hiya fella,

I've bought and fitted these to my boxeye and they make a hell of a diffence. Will get a pic up asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-ATV-Motorcycle-4WD-Boat-UK-SHIP-/331903321625?hash=item4d46fac619:g:BMsAAOSwbYZXf0sF

Used a fuse tap to link into a switched circuit on the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/151973106702?hash=item23624d940e:g:3HQAAOSw3ydV5lbw

I've bolted them straight to the top bolt of the radiator side plate. I know what you're thinking but a damaged rad is the least of my worries if the bike goes down hard.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 09:59:50 pm »
Piccies

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
Normal

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 11:04:09 pm »

Spots make a huge difference to night riding and also add another layer of safety for day time riding also.
I fitted a couple on my Fazer a year or so ago, I feel more confident by being able to see better at night and also being seen in the daytime.

The spots I fitted are 30watt Projector Crees, they are amazingly bright and double the light out put at night, I have them focused on the low side so as not to cause issues for oncoming drivers and they really light up the area 30 feet in front of the bike, kerbs and road edges are also illuminated well.

The link below is for evilBay   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-LED-SPOT-LIGHTS-FOG-LIGHTS-X-2-30W-CREE-1200LM-12V-CAR-/262755212897?hash=item3d2d6e5e61:g:ONoAAOSw3zxXMMMA

I just clicked the link and went back to the EvilBay web page, and was shocked at the price this particular seller is asking I paid about 15 or 17 quid for them when I bought them I also bought a silver pair of cheap bar end weights for the ends of the mounting pipes.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 11:10:57 pm by tommyardin »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2016, 11:27:32 pm »
Got the same as you Tomski fitted to my CBF. ALL my bikes have either the same as yours or the 10w Cree type fitted - all set to about 25 -30 ft same as you.

I know from drivers reactions, when filtering, that they have made THE difference between being seen or not.Ride with them on at all times.

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2016, 12:10:38 am »
Hi thanks for the input will look into this some more

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2016, 01:05:29 pm »
Is the effectiveness of the indicators not compromised  by the close proximity and high brightness of the spot lights?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 01:08:16 pm by Dan Gliballs »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2016, 01:11:32 pm »
Is the effectiveness of the indicators not compromised  by the close proximity and high brightness of the spot lights?

That's a bludy good point! I've noticed that problem with a lot of newer cars, the headlights or running lights are so big and bright that they over power the indicators. I can't think which car it is but I'm sure it's a new Ford that has DRL's that change to orange while indicating then return back to white afterwards,  great idea.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2016, 03:57:49 pm »

No. They dazzle more in the pics than real life.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

Hi Dan,
No! the way I have mine, and its sounds as if Tiger (Frosties) has his pointed in the same direction and height, they do not overpower the wandercaters at all, there seems to be very little spurious light emission from these LED Projector lamps, it is a definite spot beam with very little breakaway light, so indicators not effected.

I I have tried mine at different height levels and the level that the cars stopped flashing   :eek   me is around, at the top of beam 30 foot in front of front tyre.

And as Frosties said, that it really helps when filtering and I have also noticed that cars do not pull out of side roads in front of me like they did when I just had dipped lamps on. No guarantees on that one though.

mines a 2002-2003 model FZS600, so both dipped beams are on automatically anyway. (Foxeye)

My spots are wired into the main supply to the side lamps that way they come on with side lights, and as the side lights stay on with the headlamps therefore so do the spots. The other good thing about wiring them this was is 'Ignition Off' everything off, so it is not possible to leave the spots on without realising it in the daytime when parked up,   :rolleyes  no flattening the bike battery.

Jobs-a-gudun.     
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 05:15:23 pm by tommyardin »

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2016, 05:22:57 pm »
Is "cree" a brand? And between you i have links to 10w and 30w lights but there are some cheaper ones on ebay saying 125w, i take it those are bollocks and you get what you pay for?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2016, 05:26:24 pm »
My understanding is that Cree is the type of LED used in these lamps rather than a brand.
See Below:

Cree Inc. is a multinational manufacturer of semiconductor light-emitting diode (LED) materials and devices, with its headquarters in Durham, North Carolina. Most of its products are based on silicon carbide.
Good old Wiki

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2016, 05:32:55 pm »
Not sure if this is going to work or not video from my phone, might try it with Go-Pro if it does not work

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2016, 05:34:37 pm »
Hey it did work, double click the link to download 3 or 4 second video.  :woot

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
You will probably notice that I do not leave my wandercators on by mistake either lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2016, 05:43:18 pm »
I have my Hazard warning indicators on and it took me 5 shots to catch it with them on, :'(  the other four pics were caught between the flashes.

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2016, 06:50:17 pm »
That looks decent mate! Not convinced on the white V on the screen though.

These are the cheap 125w ones

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262749223644

Its a mine field eBay at times!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2016, 11:31:02 pm »

Yeah I saw those when I was looking a while back, but opted for the lower wattage ones, I'm sure they will be really bright but the problem is that you are adding another 250Watt load on the bikes charging system along with all the other lights that you will have on at the time.

Standard 2002-2003 FZS600 power consumption is (I would Imagine) 2 X 55 watt dipped headlights , 2 X 5 watt rear tail lights, 2 X 5 watt front sidelights, plus maybe another 10 watts for the instrument lights.

That's a total of approx 140 watts, with the spots you are proposing you are adding an extra 250 watts load on the generator, I not convinced it would keep up and if it did I would have to ask how long for.

The total lighting load on your generator would be 390 watts, that well over a third of a kilowatt.

My lighting system total load is 200 watts, I have to admit I was a bit concerned about my generator having to work to hard when I first fitted them, but so far all is good.
When I get back from a ride I plug the battery conditioner (Oxford) in straight away and it always goes straight to Maintain Mode, indicating that the battery is fully charged.
On the other hand the Cree spots that you supplied the link for when I was first looking for spots they were between £28 and £32 a pair.

It may well be that the generator would handle the added load of these 250 watt a pair spots. I am sure there is a foccer out there that could throw some light on the subject (Haha no pun intended)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2016, 11:42:22 pm »

Yeah mixed feelings from people about the V on the screen, they are professional quality ribbon of 18 LEDs each side of the V about 24 watts in total, they are fitted to the inside of the screen. Again these are also wired into the sidelight system so they are on with the other lights as you can see in the picture, but I have a switch fitted to the fairing infill panel to the live supply to the LEDs so I can turn them off at night when riding as they throw a bit of light back in my face, plus I wear glasses that doesn't help with the glare, but I guess it would be the same with just the visor.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 11:50:55 pm by tommyardin »

Dan Gliballs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2016, 12:47:58 pm »

Yeah I saw those when I was looking a while back, but opted for the lower wattage ones, I'm sure they will be really bright but the problem is that you are adding another 250Watt load on the bikes charging system along with all the other lights that you will have on at the time.

Standard 2002-2003 FZS600 power consumption is (I would Imagine) 2 X 55 watt dipped headlights , 2 X 5 watt rear tail lights, 2 X 5 watt front sidelights, plus maybe another 10 watts for the instrument lights.

That's a total of approx 140 watts, with the spots you are proposing you are adding an extra 250 watts load on the generator, I not convinced it would keep up and if it did I would have to ask how long for.

The total lighting load on your generator would be 390 watts, that well over a third of a kilowatt.

My lighting system total load is 200 watts, I have to admit I was a bit concerned about my generator having to work to hard when I first fitted them, but so far all is good.
When I get back from a ride I plug the battery conditioner (Oxford) in straight away and it always goes straight to Maintain Mode, indicating that the battery is fully charged.
On the other hand the Cree spots that you supplied the link for when I was first looking for spots they were between £28 and £32 a pair.

It may well be that the generator would handle the added load of these 250 watt a pair spots. I am sure there is a foccer out there that could throw some light on the subject (Haha no pun intended)

Yes good and valid point, they're bikes, not industrial diesel powered generators  :rollin

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2016, 05:44:02 pm »
Just looked again at the advert for the spot lights, and, I am confused as to what power consumption they actually are.
See Below, Cut and Pasted from the advert on eBay: 

Light power 125 watts actual power 15 watts, your guess is as good as mine

Description: This is high quality 125W super bright Spot Light waterproof LED head light.The World's top American original For CREE-U5 light bead, outside the brightness of the starts.Night driving be obviously strong pillar.Unique square spot.Suitable for pavement, super province electricity, night driving more fuel efficient.Technical Parameters:LED Chip: CREE XML U5 Light Power:125W Actual power:15W 3 Lighting Modes: High, Low, FlashEnvironment Temperature: -40-40 degree centigradeFlux: 3000LMLed color temperature: 6000K-7000KInput Voltage:12V-80V DCMaterial: Aluminum alloy, PC LensRange: 200 metersWaterproof: IP65Body Color: Black & SilverProduct Size: 134 x 110 x 78mmProduct Weight: 352g (1pcs light)Package Size: 180 x 135 x 125mmUniversal Fit motorcycles, bicycles, bike, cars, trucks, boat.Red wire positive & Black wire negative.Package includes:2pcs Spotlight 
« Last Edit: 12 December 2016, 05:45:13 pm by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2016, 10:56:33 pm »
I can't imagine for a moment they consume 125W. I think the point they are making is that they are 15W lamps, but because they are LEDs they give out light equivalent to 125W bulbs. But I'm no electrician ......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2016, 11:23:58 pm »
I just ordered the same as Frosties, was gonna get 30w but they seemed a bit savage.
Only thing bothering me is i read they should have their own on/off switch, but i'm looking into that.
Sounds like a good idea anyway, i prefer stuff to be off to save the battery on start up.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 December 2016, 09:04:56 pm »
I just ordered the same as Frosties, was gonna get 30w but they seemed a bit savage.
Only thing bothering me is i read they should have their own on/off switch, but i'm looking into that.
Sounds like a good idea anyway, i prefer stuff to be off to save the battery on start up.

We will naturally require post install pics  :D

1 switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152224874286?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT