Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:58 am

Author Topic: exhaust blowing at headers.....  (Read 1664 times)

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
exhaust blowing at headers.....
« on: 20 September 2019, 09:49:37 pm »
MY03 200miles of 55k.

Replaced the headers probably 8-9 years ago cannot remember with what but they are SS and looking ok for thier age.

But this week i started to notice at startup an odd noise at idle. I stop at a set of lights 1/2 mile from home every weekday and by then the noise disappears until the last few days.

So it's definatly turned into blowing headers.
The nuts are SS and holding up to the year round weather that is thrown at them but this is the big but

the studs (90116-06475)

look like they have rotted with corrosion can this happen to a 55k 16year old bike.

Will I need to replace the studs with new one's which i know can be a knightmare.

may try and put a photo on tomorrow.....
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 12:04:37 am by mobile mouse »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust blowing at headers.....
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2019, 09:59:30 pm »
You won't know until you attempt to take them off.
When i last tried 2 of the studs just snapped VERY easily like they were made of cheese.
You need to prep them way in advance to try and loosen anything rusted together before actually trying to take the nuts off.
Basically the 6mm studs are not up to years of hot/cold/weather abuse which is why on later bikes they made them 8mm.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2019, 10:13:38 pm »
yes just what I was thinking.

Bike passed MOT in June so .........
Do i do nothing but will it get through the winter as it's my all year round bike...

But if i attempt to re seal with either new gasket seals or just a load of fire gum will i open a can of worms...

if i was to replace the studs i would seriously think about drilling out and tap 8mm SS studs cut from SS rod and use new SS nuts....

what would you do....
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 12:05:20 am by mobile mouse »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 10:32:00 pm »
If it's blowing now it's not gonna get any better, and will mildly affect the general running. Obviously new gaskets and sealant are the way to go, but unfortunately what sounds like such a simple job more often than not turns into a nightmare.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2019, 11:58:52 pm »
You could drill and tap the blanks opposite the originals to 8mm and it will save you drilling out the old bolts.

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2019, 12:19:13 am »
thats a good possible solution.

I bought this it arrived yesterday https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07678BJLJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

watch the video, amazing stuff....
This may rot the studs to nothing but then if that is all thats left then so be it.

But then I may get the bolts off and we shall see if they will go back on or not.
just ordered a set of left handed drill bits incase I need to drill out broken studs...

spotted these on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FZ-1-Fazer-TITANIUM-exhaust-studs-/251960901781?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=550828714134
could be a solution but the price is very steep to do all 4 headers.
i could buy 1m M8 A4 SS rod for a £10 and get 8x SS a4 bolts for £1.52 from ebay....
« Last Edit: 25 September 2019, 10:15:36 pm by mobile mouse »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2019, 03:07:18 pm »
It has been discussed before, and using both stainless for the studs and nuts isn't considered foolproof, as "galling" is a known problem whereby the two can fuse together, just like steel studs/nuts rust together. There again if you never want to take them out again, no problem. Personally I replaced with steel studs and stainless nuts, which aren't quite as thick as the oem ones, leaving quite a lot of thread exposed. Using dome nuts and copperslip solved that problem, as they are easily removed once a year to check all's ok and reapply copperslip.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2019, 11:05:09 am »
when i did my head rebuild about 5 of the studs snapped (after a week of plus gas and the wax trick)
all i could do was put the head in the pillar drill to pilot drill the snapped studs and use an extractor tool
some did need a thread repair insert as removal was not an option so had to drill out rather than remove
if you havent got the tools/confidence to do this have a look around for a local engineer shop (NOT A MECHANIC)
its pretty simple for engineers to deal with and a lot cheaper than getting a mechanic to do it.

so for the new studs - i would use loctite 222/242 as it is low/medium strength and only there to reduce galling
DO NOT USE RED as if you need to remove the studs in the future you will hate yourself

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2019, 01:55:46 pm »
give you a tip for removing header bolts.............      spent two weeks every day while riding and warm............ used a can of wd40 while engine is hot on bolts clean area all round bolt for wd40 to get into the thread also used at same time a freezing spray on the nut its self to shrink it a bit then wd40 again do this two times a day for two weeks then they come straight off remember to undo them when engine is hot just be carefull not to hurt burn yahself

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2019, 11:13:12 pm »
give you a tip for removing header bolts.............      spent two weeks every day while riding and warm............ used a can of wd40 while engine is hot on bolts clean area all round bolt for wd40 to get into the thread also used at same time a freezing spray on the nut its self to shrink it a bit then wd40 again do this two times a day for two weeks then they come straight off remember to undo them when engine is hot just be carefull not to hurt burn yahself

Luck of the draw to be fair.
If they're gonna snap, they will. They're just totally unpredictable, and a lot is dependent on weather riding, storage, cleaning, etc.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2019, 11:10:09 am »
I have mentioned it before but my go to product is something called Kroil its name comes from - keeping oil I think it has nampther + other stuff in it. It is used by gunsmiths for keeping rust at bay and cleaning, I found it difficult to find as its mainly a US product. I used a blunt syringe to get right in and behind the nut after each ride when the bike was hot for a few weeks. And the nuts came off ok.
BUT PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE !
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2020, 10:26:27 pm »

This.

I used some stuff called Q10 (plusgas is also recommended) rather than WD-40 though, Q oils have specific sprays listed for different jobs as well as a multipurpose spray. A bloke I know recommended Q10; he's a Land-Rover enthusiast and well used to dealing with rusted fasteners, he swears by the stuff having undone rusted shitty nuts and bolts from underneath a 30 year old off road waggon. I gave the bike a right good soaking pre and post ride for a good fortnight before attempting it and the nuts came off a treat. I used hex rather than star sockets, the inner cylinder nuts took a little persuasion to get the socket on the nuts properly due to corrosion from spray (no fender extender on my bike YET) but they came off no bother. It may be luck of the draw or a lottery but your best chance of winning is to prepare beforehand. If you do similar and even if your studs snap, you can rest assured you couldn't have done any more to avoid it. Cleaned the studs off with wire wool and reassembled with new stainless dome nuts and coppaslip.

http://www.qoileurope.com/productFlyers/QOil%20English%20Catalogue.pdf
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.