Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: location help  (Read 2261 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
location help
« on: 12 November 2016, 05:50:12 pm »
Went to visit my mum today, when iam there I like to help with small jobs around the house if I can, no jobs to do today exept to clear the spare bedroom of stuff she has collected over the years that she no longer has a use for...we did come across a picture she bought whilst on holiday but cant remember where it was......shes in excellent health but at the grand old age of 84 her memorys not as good as it once was......your help please gentleman, could be somewhere on the south coast west of southampton but not 100 % sure........picture taken on my phone so not the best quality...
« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 05:50:54 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: location help
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2016, 05:58:18 pm »
Only place it vaguely reminds me of is Looe, on Cornwall's south coast, looking out from the estuary into Looe harbour, which would be on the other (seaward) side of the bridge.

Edit: Nope, scrap that. If it were Looe, it would be from West Looe, looking towards inland.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 06:01:38 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2016, 06:38:08 pm »
Thanks for reply  nick... :thumbup ....mums just been on the phone, getting annoyed with herself as cant remember shere it is, i had to laugh but know i shouldn't   :lol .......she thinks there may have been a beech to the right of the picture.....

that bridge is the clue here, might get on google maps and have a look...might be a late night   :rolleyes

parents ay.....who'd have em   :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2016, 06:42:29 pm »
If you were to cross that bridge to East Looe, then walk back along the harbour side, you'd come to a stone pier, and to it's left as you look out to sea, a beach. If it is Looe.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2016, 07:02:39 pm »
Here's a few, unfortunately not brilliant, pics of Looe, that may help to jog her memory. The bridge in your pic looks very like the one there, but I only have a fragment of it in this shot, taken from East Looe:

This is West Looe, taken from the bridge:

Looe Harbour, from the bridge looking to seawards:

East Looe from the bridge:

And from the bridge looking inland up the estuary:

One more that might help; Looe beach, from the end of the pier:

« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 07:06:19 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
Just looked at google maps sat view and I think your right mr trimmer, thanks for posting the piccies   :thumbup ...mum did mention meeting two elderly sisters who lived on an island....st georges island  ?.......i'll phone her and see if it jogs her memory...back in a tick...........

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2016, 07:37:58 pm »
That's right, two elderly sisters on St. Georges, otherwise just known as Looe Island. Here it is, seen from the rocks at the end of Looe beach:

My mum, who had relatives from that area (the ferryman, Snaker Dan, who used to run a boat between East and West Looe, was a relation for one); she told me about the sisters who lived on the island.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2016, 07:51:28 pm »
Bloody small world nick  :) ......just spoke to mum, looe got no response....st georges island however bought back fond memories of a holiday spent with friends that are sadly no longer with us....thanks nick for your help and the piccies, will show mum in the morning   :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2016, 07:55:46 pm »
No worries Paul  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2016, 08:40:50 pm »
Yes that looks very much like Looe to me also.

I was there in July and went on a boat trip around Looe island.

The first photo below I took pretty much from the same position as your mum's picture I think.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 07:40:51 pm by YamFazFan »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2016, 08:17:56 am »
Cheers YFF , easily solved this one  :) ....we probably have an excellent knowledge of the british isles between us...would have been nice to get a reply from a foccer who lives in the area, not many there that post regular but ROBBIE8666 +SIMON PIEMAN not far away, parhaps they will join in later    ;)

mmmmm....gives me a idea for a new game, great for the winter months.......picture challenge in reverse.......post piccies of your trips taken in the summer and guess the location......might work.....

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2016, 08:32:57 am »
Yeah the picture challenge idea sounds good  :)

The house in my third photo (which you can also just see in one of the other distance island pics) is the house that the two sisters' lived in.

Apparently on very rare occasions, when the tide is just right, you can actually walk over to the island from the mainland.

The boat that took us on the trip around the island had a glass bottom and it didn't look very deep at any point really.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2016, 08:44:14 am »
That sounds good YFF...I have a small inflatable dinghy with outboard, be great to go exploring in the summer.....bike on the trailer boat + tent in the boot......roll on next year    :)
« Last Edit: 13 November 2016, 08:45:34 am by red98 »

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2016, 10:27:42 am »
hey Paul it does look like Looe but the fishing boats are the wrong side of the bridge. If you were looking from the sea inland they would be on the right of the picture. Or my memory is as bad as your mums (were about the same age haha).It also looks like a place in west wales cardigan I think but ive been wrong before :) .
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2016, 02:34:54 pm »
Hi bri......not sure when the picture was drawn....artist could of put the boats anywhere....

took my tablet down to mums this morning.....definatly looe    :thumbup ...she loved looking at the pictures, bought back some happy memories, my thanks go to HEDGETRIMMER and YAMFAZMAN  for posting them   :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2016, 02:51:23 pm »
Glad I could help Paul. I know that part of Cornwall very well - mum was born just up the road from Looe, and my grandparents lived at Downderry. Great grandparents were at St. Germans in the almshouses there too.

The picture idea sounds similar to one I've seen elsewhere. In this one, you post a picture of a place, not saying where it is, and the competition is to be the first one to get a picture with your bike at the same place. But I like the idea of yours, with not actually having to ride anywhere in the winter!  :o   :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2016, 03:05:11 pm »
Picture challange  is good, its got me out on the fazer a couple of times purely to get the picture....bit slow in the winter though, ive got loads of my fazer from all over the country and iam sure iam not the only one...look on my phone and you wont find any of mrs red lotx of the fazer though   :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2016, 03:18:26 pm »
You're welcome :)

I drove through Downderry last month on a brief stop off at Seaton Hedgetrimmer.

Stayed in the cliff side holiday apartments in Seaton a few times in recent years.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2016, 04:58:05 pm »

I drove through Downderry last month on a brief stop off at Seaton Hedgetrimmer.

It's still there then? Each time I go there, it seems a few more houses have dropped off the cliffs into the sea  :lol