Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:29 am

Author Topic: Election  (Read 14382 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Election
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2015, 01:23:20 pm »
Conservatives are up to 327 seats as of about 1 pm so they have the majority and don't need to enter in to a Coalition

As for proportional representation... it's good in theory, but the reform would be complex I expect. Only two methods I can think of; make each seat worth the same amount of voters (more or less a completely impractical / impossible) or assign a point value to each seat based on the representative amount of voters and tally points to determine leading party instead of the number of seats. Realistically I have no idea on how that would ultimately impact other processes of governing

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2015, 02:03:59 pm »
Interesting predictions... most of which turned out a little far off the mark

Er not quite,

Another prediction --Labour will loose - ed will resign -
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
Most, not all ;) I reserve the right to be a pedantic bastard :D

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2015, 03:28:07 pm »
Let,s see what the next five years bring

Looking at the coloured map,,England was almost totally blue,,reds have small patches because they seem to huddle into small unionised cities,lots of working  (or not,ethnical lkes too) red voters.
All them immigrants,you know,,economic or what you call them,,umm refugees,,do they vote Labour ?

This country is said to have one of the best growing economies in the world,,will that relay onto the workers as the employers feel safer or turn over more work,profit?

With the cuts to public services,,mostly good cuts,,some a bit hard to swallow,,will the countrys borrowing slow or stop,,can the deficit be cut,,,who the fuck borrowed all them BILLIONS,,Labour?

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2015, 04:34:14 pm »
 :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
will the countrys borrowing slow or stop,,can the deficit be cut,,,who the fuck borrowed all them BILLIONS,,Labour?

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/george-osborne-failure-public-trust.html

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2015, 06:12:42 pm »
Haha,, do you believe in internet posters,,,who or  what do you believe ?

This politics is in the way you read it,,all politicians seem to make a good answer from any situation presented to them,,no matter how bad.

It seems that Labour voters are sad and now neglected,,abandoned by their not so left politicians,,(old conservatives)

Its odd how a party is voted in by majority and still people have grumps,,,

Why have the Conservatives been voted in for another chance to lead the country?  the people did it

Does anyone tell the truth,,or is their as much good as bad but some only focus on the bad :)

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 May 2015, 06:56:05 pm »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2015, 07:00:25 pm »
Sit down and shut up

You are being ruled by the Conservatives   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh and just like a politician you omitted this from the page you copied the above info,,please read

===The National Debt began a rapid increase in the aftermath of the worldwide financial crisis of 2008.  :D
« Last Edit: 08 May 2015, 07:05:14 pm by slimwilly »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 May 2015, 07:38:13 pm »
Came across the percentages of vote a while ago

Conservatives    36.9% of the vote
Labour               30.5% of the vote
UKIP                  12.6% of the vote
Lib Dems             7.8% of the vote
SNP                     4.7% of the vote
Green                  3.8% of the vote
Others                 3.7% of the vote

No matter what way you add this up 63% of the population who voted do not want a Conservative government.   :eek

In a highly developed, intelligent country like the UK you allow this and call it a fair election. :'( (Well maybe not fair  :D )

Proportional Representation ensure only those who the voters want are elected by allowing more voting choices :thumbup

I rest my case  :lol

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 May 2015, 07:42:40 pm »
I voted green , not that my vote made any difference , Bristol South is a safe labour seat , the wife is more pissed off with me that i didn't vote Labour instead of buying a new bike .
I am disappointed for the country that the Tories can carry on  with the cuts and increasing the deficit , will they honour there pledge for an in/out referendum on Europe . :evil
On the up side now i am employed rather than through an agency at least i don't have to  pay the umbrella tax anymore , and with my increase in salary putting me in a higher tax band i will personally be better off , every cloud eh . ;)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 May 2015, 07:45:52 pm »
[Its funny how the Tories will attack the unions for that having a mandate to strike based on that principle , but are more than happy to form a government .uote author=unfazed link=topic=16874.msg194609#msg194609 date=1431110293]
Came across the percentages of vote a while ago

Conservatives    36.9% of the vote
Labour               30.5% of the vote
UKIP                  12.6% of the vote
Lib Dems             7.8% of the vote
SNP                     4.7% of the vote
Green                  3.8% of the vote
Others                 3.7% of the vote

No matter what way you add this up 63% of the population who voted do not want a Conservative government.   :eek

In a highly developed, intelligent country like the UK you allow this and call it a fair election. :'( (Well maybe not fair  :D )

Proportional Representation ensure only those who the voters want are elected by allowing more voting choices :thumbup

I rest my case  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2015, 11:40:33 pm »
This should have been a stroll in the park for Labour,

But here's VNA's analysis of why they lost it;

1.  The Labour party did not back their leader.

Forget all the crap about his geekyness and the press being on his back.  Wee Eck didn't exactly have a great public image and he much much more bad press than Ed, but he had his party 100% behind him.

2.  They backed the wrong team in Scotland.  They put Jim Murphy in charge - ordinary people saw straight through him.  A man who stands today for all he fought against for the last ten years, and he thought he could bribe a slice of the electorate with the offer of a pint at the football.  Now if they had of put Neil Findlay in charge with Katie Clark as deputy, well it wouldn't be great but they might have hung on to half their Scottish seats.

3.  Same problem as above, the Labour party is in turmoil, they need to stand for something, move to the left and stop trying to be the pale blue tory party.  Ed was the right man but they wouldn't get behind him.

4.  Scotland.  The Tory's played the Labour party being in coalition game with the SNP brilliantly.  Nicola Sturgeon presented as the most dangerous woman in the land, and so forth.  Labour failed to hit back and people bought this nonsense.  The media seemed to overlook the fact that the Conservatives would dump into bed with the DUP in a flash - apparently that's OK.  The downside to this is, having insulted Scotland in order to win a majority, will Dave now be the man that loses the union?

What a result for the SNP though.   Perhaps Labour, Lib Dems and the Tories will share a single mini cab to get to London.  Ho ho.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #38 on: 09 May 2015, 01:15:05 am »
Here's the difference between what we got and how the people voted...

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/uk_electoral_reform_locb/?tCwjWbb

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 May 2015, 10:26:03 am »
To bring all this down to a Fazer level,more local government cuts will certainly result in more potholes on our already glorious roads!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2015, 12:45:33 pm »
You have got it all wrong,  they will just put up more cameras, paint them grey so you cannot see them and you will all be driving so slow potholes will be kept to make you think you are driving faster.  :lol

http://www.perrys.co.uk/car-news/news/nearly-700-drivers-nicked-stealth-cameras-just-two-months/

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 May 2015, 02:22:54 pm »

With the cuts to public services,,mostly good cuts,,

My pension and salary thinks not  :'(

who the fuck borrowed all them BILLIONS,,Labour?

Was there any complaints at the time from the public while wastefully taking advantage of 'The good times'
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 May 2015, 09:10:33 pm »
The debt:
Increased by 75% under Thatcher,
more than doubled under Major,
went up about 60% under Labour pre-crash
then another 50% post-crash to 2010.
Under Cameron it's gone up 79%
and is now £1.36tn.

So using these figures the best period was when Brown was chancellor as during those 10 years the debt only increased by 60% :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 May 2015, 09:33:02 pm »
And if Sir Fred the Shred is the most incompetent banker in British history, then Gordon Brown must surely go down as the most incompetent chancellor in British history. 

No more boom and bust - ho ho ho.

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 May 2015, 09:38:57 pm »
Who was chancellor when they tied us to the ERM, markets made a fortune

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 09 May 2015, 10:52:20 pm »
Electoral PR:

Perhaps the Greater London Assembly is a good example. We get 2 votes, one for a local candidate, who is elected using traditional first-past-the-post for that constituency. There are 14 constituencies and therefore 14 Assembly Members elected that way.

The other vote is for the party and is London-wide. 11 more Assembly Members are allocated this way. They are allocated so that the overall number of seats for each party is in proportion with the London-wide vote.

It's much simpler than I've explained it!!!

In practice the current assembly's *constituency* members are Labour and Conservative, whereas the *London-wide* members are Lab, Con, LibDem and Green. The next election is 2016 and presumably we'll get some UKIP members from the London-wide ballot.

It is easy to understand (when explained properly) and it is useful to be able to vote in this way i.e. pragmatically in the constituency vote and from the heart in the London-wide one.

If this were adopted for Westminster elections we would have perhaps 400 constituencies, then the remaining 250 MPs would be allocated using a UK-wide party ballot.

I guess England & Wales would elect Con and Lab constituent MPs, Scotland's ~35 would be SNP and NI would have ~11 seats. But then the UK-wide vote would have allocated 24 to the Greens, 51 to the LibDems and 82 to UKIP.

The calculations are based on turnout so there are no unallocated seats.

The parties would draw up an ordered list of UK-wide candidates. If 24 seats are allocated to a party from the UK ballot then the top 24 names would become MPs.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 May 2015, 10:52:27 pm »
The debt:

So using these figures the best period was when Brown was chancellor as during those 10 years the debt only increased by 60% :eek

ONLY increased by  :eek those 10 years were the boom time there should of been zero borrowing   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 May 2015, 10:56:50 pm »
Who was chancellor when they tied us to the ERM, markets made a fortune
Norman Lamont.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 May 2015, 11:05:09 pm »
The debt:

ONLY increased by  :eek those 10 years were the boom time there should of been zero borrowing   
Aye. It's doubly disappointing because they started off by paying off the debt, but after 2002 it started rising again.

Incidentally he started off saying "No more Tory boom and bust" because in the 80s and 90s there were a few of them (small by present standards). But after a few years he dropped the word "Tory" and had to borrow to keep the economy from contracting and thereby making him wrong :rolleyes

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 May 2015, 11:07:12 pm »
Why Labour lost:
Ed stood up to the press over phone hacking. They don't forgive you for that sort of thing.