Date: 23-04-24  Time: 15:19 pm

Author Topic: Do I expect too much ????  (Read 5338 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Do I expect too much ????
« on: 01 August 2017, 01:29:22 pm »
Last December a friend of mine was getting deep into financial trouble due to the delay in selling his second house. Mortgage company threatening to foreclose, council threatening bailiffs over tax etc. etc. He asked to borrow £500 to get him through Xmas, no problem. I lost count of the beers, coffees, breakfasts etc. I bought him as I knew he was broke.

Well he finally sold the house and squared off all his debts last week so I was pleased to receive this morning a plain brown envelope after 8 months of wondering if I would ever see my money returned.

I was less than pleased to open it to find it contained just £500.

Now he always said he would repay me with interest, "A lot more than I would earn in the Bank".

Do I expect too much from friends ????
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Do I expect too much ????
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2017, 03:07:07 pm »
If you are lucky you would get around 1 to 1.5% in a bank savings account so between £5 to £7.5 for a year on £500.

Is it worth losing a friendship for 3/4 of fuck all?

It was good Karma to help him out, remember what goes around comes around  :)

Now if it had been £50,000 you had lent him then that would be a different matter.  :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2017, 03:07:37 pm »
Just one of those things unfortunately, and I was actually talking about this last night with a friend who keeps being asked for money by someone he's known a long time.
I've always politely refused to lend money to anyone due to the fact it causes friction further down the line if you have to start chasing it, which I just can't be doing with as you can end up losing friends over it.
In fact I did give some money to a friend a few months back but i just told him to keep it as he was in genuine trouble.

In your case the £500 part was the loan so at least you got that back, but I would just write anything else off, lesson learned.
Just keep reminding him it's definitely his round in the boozer.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2017, 03:21:40 pm »
:agree

Bank interest on £500 over 8 months is probably about £3. One pint will be significantly more than you would have got in interest :)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
I learnt long ago never to expect from others what you would do yourself.
People rarely do what they say they'll do, especially when it comes to money. The best bet is to not lend things to others, even friends, especially money or tools! You'll always end up feeling aggrieved.  :rolleyes

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2017, 09:14:56 am »
Point taken, however the main issue is not what I lost in interest but more a case of how much he saved by not borrowing from his bank or B.S. Also how much shit he avoided by my assistance. Even if it was only £3 I know that I would have made sure any friend of mine was not out of pocket.

Another minor irritation is the fact that I transferred the money straight into his bank account. He repaid me in cash so I now need to drive to my bank to pay it back in.

Anyhooo...........................never again.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2017, 09:25:03 am »
At least you got the borrowed amount back. If you want to see a tale of woe and lost friendship look here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?381806-Lending-money-to-a-friend.&highlight=lent+money+to+friend

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2017, 10:44:30 am »
My old Mum always said  ''Neither a Borrower or a Lender be'' so I never borrow or loan to anybody.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2017, 10:54:56 am »
Another minor irritation is the fact that I transferred the money straight into his bank account. He repaid me in cash so I now need to drive to my bank to pay it back in.

This IS a wind-up isn't it?!!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2017, 12:14:18 pm »

You've helped a friend out, saved him a few quid and it's cost you the price of a pint, that's what friends are supposed to do, end of.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2017, 01:43:56 pm »
I've got the solution....Have it out with your mate and let him know just how you feel about the whole situation, then hand him the £500 cash back and INSIST that he takes it to the bank on your behalf😉
« Last Edit: 02 August 2017, 01:46:53 pm by YamFazFan »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2017, 02:05:53 pm »
Don't lose a friendship over a few quid.  We all have our own ideas on how things should be settled or worked out, we've all had it in the past with regards to money and friends, be it sharing a bill in a restaurant, buying rounds in pubs etc etc

You've not really lost out, as was previously mentioned if it was £50k different story but we're talking small amounts in lost interest, I would look yourself in the mirror, say to yourself he's a mate, it's only £500 and then repeat your name on the forum to yourself DILLIGAFF  :thumbup   :pokefun

Just make sure he buys you an extra beer down the pub next time you're out.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2017, 02:53:23 pm »

You've helped a friend out, saved him a few quid and it's cost you the price of a pint, that's what friends are supposed to do, end of.

Yup.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2017, 02:56:07 pm »
Think of it as an investment to friendship.
If you are really aggrieved that much about it PM your address and I will send you £12.

£3 for the interest as mentioned by BB and £9-00 to buy yourself and your mate a pint, shake him by the hand and move on.

This is a serious offer and I will never, ever, let anyone know if you took it up.
Friendship is worth more that money.   

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2017, 03:36:09 pm »
If you are really aggrieved that much about it PM your address and I will send you £12.

£3 for the interest as mentioned by BB and £9-00 to buy yourself and your mate a pint, shake him by the hand and move on.

This is a serious offer and I will never, ever, let anyone know if you took it up.

Come om Tommy, what about some petrol money as well so he can take the cash to the bank.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2017, 04:53:21 pm »

I'm feeling aggrieved, can I have the £12?  :lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
Come om Tommy, what about some petrol money as well so he can take the cash to the bank.

He doesn't need the petrol money, he has a bus pass :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2017, 05:46:58 pm »
I once lent 50 pence to a mate so he could have a taxi home.
and that was in the 70's and never seen him since.
in today's money its £4.23  :'( :'(

http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2017, 06:22:25 pm »

I'm feeling aggrieved, can I have the £12?  :lol

I'm equally aggrieved. Split it £6 each if DILLIGAFF doesn't take up the offer?  :deal

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2017, 06:33:20 pm »
i think you should be pleased. a 'mate' at work asked to borrow £300 for his girlfriends engagement holiday and told me he would pay me back in a month or so. turned out he is a serial gambler and he's blown it all. there was no engagement holiday either and his girlfriend has sensibly ditched him. he still works with me and just avoids any eye contact. i may get the cash back one day but lesson learnt.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2017, 06:56:45 pm »
i think you should be pleased. a 'mate' at work asked to borrow £300 for his girlfriends engagement holiday and told me he would pay me back in a month or so. turned out he is a serial gambler and he's blown it all. there was no engagement holiday either and his girlfriend has sensibly ditched him. he still works with me and just avoids any eye contact. i may get the cash back one day but lesson learnt.

Soooooooooo, what's the errrrr "collection" rate for this debt then ????
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2017, 07:43:30 pm »

This IS a wind-up isn't it?!!

Maybe order a pint of petrol instead of beer  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2017, 09:45:15 am »
Oooooh! £12 Tommyardin. Yes please, but don't ever, ever tell anyone I accepted the money. I get enough stick on here already.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2017, 08:28:53 pm »
At the end of the day you're mate is a twat......ok he paid it back fair play to him as these types rarely do.

But ask youself this.....how much of a mate is he......would you have given him the money without asking for it back....just gave him it.....if the answer is yes then he is a real mate.....

And if so i put it to you as follows........a matter of principle....he felt the need to lie or coerce you into the lend by spouting bullshit about promised gain to you out of the situation and this saved him face and turned it into some kind of businness deal instead of what it actually was....a cry for help......this is what pissed you off rather than the interest or indeedevengetting the original money back???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2017, 12:00:45 am »
Don't lose a friendship over a few quid.  We all have our own ideas on how things should be settled or worked out, we've all had it in the past with regards to money and friends, be it sharing a bill in a restaurant, buying rounds in pubs etc etc

You've not really lost out, as was previously mentioned if it was £50k different story but we're talking small amounts in lost interest, I would look yourself in the mirror, say to yourself he's a mate, it's only £500 and then repeat your name on the forum to yourself DILLIGAFF  :thumbup   :pokefun

Just make sure he buys you an extra beer down the pub next time you're out.

:agree

ask yourself how much worth is your friendship. If it is less than £4 interest rate obviously you are not a real friends. If it worths more forget about the case, buy him a beer next time and note to him you will expect the next round to have interest added  :lol
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.