Date: 24-04-24  Time: 21:05 pm

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 1090 times)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Helmets
« on: 04 August 2020, 08:00:22 pm »
Chaps, getting to helmet replacement time, currently using a Caberg flip up, which I find a tad noisy at times.
I have looked at a couple of lids, namely a Roof V8, a Shark and a Schuberth C3.
Looking at staying with flip fronts - they are so handy.
Anyone got any thoughts or input?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2020, 09:33:48 pm »
Ear plugs and another Caberg
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2020, 01:00:15 am »
I've had a problem with my neck muscles for a bit and after only a few miles I found myself holding my head up and riding a lot one hand,I looked into the weights of helmets and although I don't like open faced ones if I wanted to keep riding in some sort of comfort I thought I'd better try one.I bought a Shoei platinum R and couldn't believe how light it was,immediately my problem was a stack better and now I find I can spend a good hour without getting to much neck pain,ok,you get a fair amount of wind blast and I wear a pair of wrap around glasses but it beats not riding .I think it weighs around 1000,1100gms.all I know is it's a gods send for me at the moment. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2020, 06:43:41 am »
I had a roof boxer, found it very noisy, okay for local stuff but found it draining on longer/motorways etc. Earplugs a must.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2020, 09:47:25 am »
I've had a problem with my neck muscles for a bit and after only a few miles I found myself holding my head up and riding a lot one hand,I looked into the weights of helmets and although I don't like open faced ones if I wanted to keep riding in some sort of comfort I thought I'd better try one.I bought a Shoei platinum R and couldn't believe how light it was,immediately my problem was a stack better and now I find I can spend a good hour without getting to much neck pain,ok,you get a fair amount of wind blast and I wear a pair of wrap around glasses but it beats not riding .I think it weighs around 1000,1100gms.all I know is it's a gods send for me at the moment. :thumbup
I would of thought that wind blast would far outweigh a few grams weight loss in the helmet.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2020, 02:16:21 pm »

What was the previous lid you had?

I'm using an Arai these days, but my previous helmet was a Shoei and as much as i like the Arai i found that Shoei visors were MUCH better in the rain. I've yet to have an Arai visor that rain runs off properly, which is very annoying.
The Arai is quite light, although in fairness i need a new one too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2020, 05:13:02 pm »
I would of thought that wind blast would far outweigh a few grams weight loss in the helmet.

it's not just a few grams though,I've always used Arai and have 2 at the moment both quantum which weigh around 15/1600 gms I think which might not seem a lot and if someone had told me it would make that much diff I probably wouldn't have believed them I can only go by my experience,you obviously have no such problem so you wouldn't think a pound or so would matter but believe me it does.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2020, 05:54:07 pm »

it's not just a few grams though,I've always used Arai and have 2 at the moment both quantum which weigh around 15/1600 gms I think which might not seem a lot and if someone had told me it would make that much diff I probably wouldn't have believed them I can only go by my experience,you obviously have no such problem so you wouldn't think a pound or so would matter but believe me it does.
a pound or so is a lot.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2020, 06:55:34 pm »

Have to agree. My HJC RHPA 11 has got to be one of the lightest full face helmets I've seen at 1300g, makes a hell of a difference compared to something like my old Caberg flipfront which I believe was around 1650g