Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:32 pm

Author Topic: Foccin' Service Announcement  (Read 1373 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Foccin' Service Announcement
« on: 15 September 2014, 12:52:18 pm »
For those of you that haven't read the front page, Farjo has stepped down as Admin, handing me the keys to this here forum and letting me fly solo, something I never foresaw when I signed up to the previous incarnation in late 2004.

Over the years the board has seen many changes, both in members and ad-mods, but I'm glad to say the core values of taking the piss and helpful advice are still present in equal measure.
 :D

On that note, with Frazer enjoying life on civvy street, it means that only Mick and I are covering ad-mod detail.
Me being in Kiwiland does mean that, in theory, there will be one of us available around the clock to deal with spam, abuse and other issues, but an extra pair of hands (or two) would be useful.

So, if you're interested in helping out by being a moderator, could you either send me a PM or an email to aegis@foc-u.co.uk please?

Cheers,
Aegis.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Foccin' Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 01:00:08 pm »
Well done there, good luck,thanks to Farjo for the work so far.

What does an Admin person do?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 04:14:12 pm »
A short brief on what you expect from an Admin could be good to give people an idea of the level of commitment they would need to present in order to take on the position

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2014, 05:11:00 pm »
"So, if you're interested in helping out by being a moderator"

He's actually just after a mod (or two), and a moderator helps by keeping the threads in the correct forum, deleting the spam, responding to reported posts (quite tricky sometimes) and perhaps by getting involved in the direction of the board itself.

In my experience a well moderated forum is a sign that it is alive and is a good way of putting back into the pot.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2014, 07:40:36 pm »
:agree

Many hands make light work and all that.

as a guess, how much time is involved to do all the moderation work? We cant leave Aegis to do it all by himself but perhaps 3 or four more could take a bit of the workload each to keep the time to a minimum and therefore more likely to get some help.

I am quite willing to help but not if it takes too much time.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2014, 07:45:57 pm »
I reckon I spend about 20 minutes a day on moderation.I'm on here more than that talking rubbish and checking in on other sites anyway so it's no real chore for me (and that's just me and Aegis bearing Mel). With another 1-2 mods on board I think 10-15 minutes a day on average is reasonable and if you miss a couple of days the site won't fall apart or anything ;)

To put it into perspective. It takes about 3-4 clicks and 2 minutes MAX to move or delete a thread, so the work is minimal.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2014, 07:54:30 pm »
:agree What he said.

A mod helps look after the day to day running of the forums, pouring oil on troubled waters, wielding the "broom of correct places" to move posts to the forum they should be in, getting rid of spam posts offering us the chance to buy discounted Ray Bans whilst earning $25000 a day from home as we contact the solicitor of our recently deceased long lost Uncle who owns half of Africa.

We're quite lucky that we seem to escape a lot of it, but there are still the odd one or two that sneak through.

Commitment wise, I'd rather folks were willing to do it for the foreseeable future rather than a couple of months.
If you log in regularly I'd say once you get used to it, it would add at most 10-15 minutes to your sessions here, having a quick scout about, seeing if things are where they should be and the like.
If you're reading the forums, you're noticing things aren't right, the difference being it would be you that actioned things rather than reporting them.

Three does seem to be the magic number, but a fourth would lighten the commitment for those that do say "aye".

Hope that helps clarify things a little.
Aegis