Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:22 pm

Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 8370 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2017, 11:18:13 am »
Just a note, but when I changed my battery a few months back I found that the bike ran generally better as well.
I think just having a weak or tired battery can affect certain parts of the electrical system when running.
I'd like to be more specific, but all I know is I certainly noticed a difference.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
Just a note, but when I changed my battery a few months back I found that the bike ran generally better as well.
I think just having a weak or tired battery can affect certain parts of the electrical system when running.
I'd like to be more specific, but all I know is I certainly noticed a difference.

You're right.  I've noticed that with my van. I don't use it much so the battery slowly discharges. So far it always starts, although struggles occasionally. But straight after giving it a full charge I notice the difference when driving. It is much more eager. I guess the spark plugs are getting a full charge and thus igniting all the fuel. Dunno, definitely runs better though.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2017, 03:37:06 pm »
If the battery is never allowed to go flat it can last well over 10 years.  I replaced mine after 10 years after I fitted heated grips because they would switch off with the engine idling at traffic lights.  The new battery made no difference.

But AGM batteries do not like going flat and being asked to deliver high currents when partially discharged.  Just one occasion of carrying on trying to start an engine until the battery won't turn the engine over or the solenoid clicks can ruin a battery and it won't hold a charge properly again.

Just common sense says it would appreciate a new one after 10 years though, i don't even understand why anyone is even questioning it?

EEK -- so far - touch wood. I am on the original 17 year old battery   :eek but when I am not riding it I keet on a yam branded C-Tek charger here http://www.yamahaclothing.co.uk/yec-40-battery-charger-3227-p.asp.
I brought it a few years ago after I also had a starting issue and almost flattened the battery, my issue was the spark plugs, I had them out and they looked fine but brought some new ones anyway and hey-presto fired straight up.
May be my battery has lasted so long because I only for fun when its dry and so am not starting it up twice a day every day.
If you add up how many times my battery has started the bike compared to a bike used every day then the battery is about 4 years old
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 03:41:10 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2017, 05:16:38 pm »
If the battery is never allowed to go flat it can last well over 10 years.  I replaced mine after 10 years after I fitted heated grips because they would switch off with the engine idling at traffic lights.  The new battery made no difference.

But AGM batteries do not like going flat and being asked to deliver high currents when partially discharged.  Just one occasion of carrying on trying to start an engine until the battery won't turn the engine over or the solenoid clicks can ruin a battery and it won't hold a charge properly again.

Just common sense says it would appreciate a new one after 10 years though, i don't even understand why anyone is even questioning it?

EEK -- so far - touch wood. I am on the original 17 year old battery   :eek but when I am not riding it I keet on a yam branded C-Tek charger here http://www.yamahaclothing.co.uk/yec-40-battery-charger-3227-p.asp.
I brought it a few years ago after I also had a starting issue and almost flattened the battery, my issue was the spark plugs, I had them out and they looked fine but brought some new ones anyway and hey-presto fired straight up.
May be my battery has lasted so long because I only for fun when its dry and so am not starting it up twice a day every day.
If you add up how many times my battery has started the bike compared to a bike used every day then the battery is about 4 years old

Why does that not surprise me at all?  :lol

There's loads of things to chuck into the equation with batteries and how long they last.
My bike is used for fairly short journeys most of the time, at least 5 days a week, but then it will sit outside in all weathers, including very hot or very cold weather.
Then there's the headlights, I've done the mod so they're both on, and they stay on all the time when riding.
Also I have heated grips which I use for a large part of the year, and I now have the added spotlights as well.
I do make a point of switching everything off though when starting the bike to avoid any unnecessary strain on the battery even though it would handle it if it's in good nick.
At my work we have batteries that we use for my video equipment, plus cameras as well, so I do get a rough idea about battery life, 'cos they are in constant use being hired out and charged all the time, and they are similar to bike and car batteries.

So I think 17 years (probably more actually) is a pretty good innings I'd say, and I doubt anyone else can really top that I'd imagine!  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2017, 06:23:49 pm »
New battery and solonoid would most likely solve the problem.
Testing with a meter is not a load test. Many batteries will charge fully and look OK with a meter, but will not survive a load test

A load tester will apply a load equal to one-half of the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating of the battery for 15 seconds and this is the recommended method.

Without out a load tester the following method will give a good indication of battery condition.

Check the battery voltage it should be over 12.25 volts

Disable the ignition and operate the starter motor for 15secs, no longer.

Check the voltage again

If less than 9 volts replace the battery

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2017, 06:57:11 pm »
Well i connected my zrx battery to the fazer and still just got the loud click sound from the solenoid,took solenoid out and cleaned contacts still the same,was going to take out starter motor and strip it down to check brushes but thought i would try cleaning electric cable connected to it first with some wd40,and also the old tap the starter motor with a hammer trick and now starts every time for the last couple of days :) funny things are electrics.Will keep an eye on it for a while for signs of it acting up again but it looks like starter motor will need stripping if it starts again,anyway i found some brushes for only £5.99 so cheap enough to fix if it happens again.

Anyway thanks for all replies and will be back if it happens again.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2017, 07:25:14 pm »
... So I think 17 years (probably more actually) is a pretty good innings I'd say, and I doubt anyone else can really top that I'd imagine!  :thumbup
Last I heard, Red98 was still on his first battery.
As am I. :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2017, 08:03:49 pm »
Yes , still on the original. Needs replacing now though, had to use my booster charge to get it started last time I used the bike , that was before christmas so time for a new one.....bikes a 98 so its done well  :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 09:05:07 pm by bandit »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 January 2017, 09:20:18 pm »
Cheers for the link bandit.....both of those good value for money  :thumbup ......just use the bike for pleasure so will wait until the weather improves a little before purchasing........
« Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 10:18:13 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2017, 10:32:18 pm »
Go my maths wrong - my battery is 19 years old and not 17
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 January 2017, 11:00:38 pm »
Dunno about my battery as it was on my old girl when I bought her about 4 years ago.

What make is the original Yamaha battery and I will take a look to see if it possibly the original.

I have a battery conditioner on it all the time when parked that tops the charge right up, and then goes into normal standby mode.
My Yammy is a 2002 model but 2003 registered FZS600 Foxeye. so 14 years old now about the same as my mental age. :lol

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 January 2017, 12:17:36 am »
Original batteries were Yuasa

DangerNoodle

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2017, 08:34:51 am »
My bike is actually suffering the same problem. Press the starter switch and on some occasions it just makes a tapping sound (like something knocking on the plastic). The usual process then is knock it in gear rock it back and forward with the clutch open, pull the clutch in and retry the starter. Is it likely I need to replace the starter brushes? If so how would I know if they were too worn (if I looked at  them). 

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2017, 09:43:28 am »
When you say you cleaned the contacts, did you open up the solenoid and clean it internally. Common for the internal contacts to have green corrosion which intermittently stops the solenoid doing its job. Next time it happens short the big connections in the solenoid. If that turns the starter, change the solenoid. I don't know of anyone who had to strip a starter on the 600 to replace brushes. Heard of a few who had to because the starter was seized

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2017, 11:55:18 am »
When you say you cleaned the contacts, did you open up the solenoid and clean it internally. Common for the internal contacts to have green corrosion which intermittently stops the solenoid doing its job. Next time it happens short the big connections in the solenoid. If that turns the starter, change the solenoid. I don't know of anyone who had to strip a starter on the 600 to replace brushes. Heard of a few who had to because the starter was seized

I took out the electric connector block cleaned all contacts and soaked it in gt85, put back in done the same with the starter motor connection tapped the starter motor with the back of a screw driver and hit button,starts every time now.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2017, 01:12:03 pm »
It was the tap on the starter motor that fixed it.  Need to get those brushes cleaned or changed because it's going to happen again before too long

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2017, 05:00:13 pm »
It was the tap on the starter motor that fixed it.  Need to get those brushes cleaned or changed because it's going to happen again before too long

Yep got some on order for £5.99

DangerNoodle

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 January 2017, 10:52:02 pm »
Just a quick update, after reading through this thread due to similar problems, I have taken my starter apart and intend to replace the brushes (they do look quite worn and have visible curves in the surface). Does anyone know where I can get a brush carrier assembly for less than £60? I've looked at just the brushes but I don't think I'm able (lack of know how / equipment) to replace them on their own.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 January 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
The curve on the surface isn't a problem it is in fact a good feature as it spreads the current over a greater area stop local overheating.

The brushes should slide smoothly and freely in their holders.  New brushes are 10mm long and the manual gives the minimum length as 4mm.  The commutator the brushes are pressed on to should be copper looking but doesn't have to be super shiny but shouldn't have any black areas on in (except for the thin black lines between the bits of copper).

Often dismantling and reassembling the starter motor will free the brushes up and the problem can disappear

DangerNoodle

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 January 2017, 06:43:39 am »
Ahh i see, this is what happens when you don't read up properly (my bad). The starter is completely clean now though so I might put it back in and just see if it works.

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 January 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
Ahh i see, this is what happens when you don't read up properly (my bad). The starter is completely clean now though so I might put it back in and just see if it works.

Try these only takes 30 mins to strip and change.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221809984064?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT