Date: 26-04-24  Time: 07:21 am

Author Topic: Crashed my fazer  (Read 2808 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Crashed my fazer
« on: 26 May 2013, 12:06:04 pm »
Driving round a sharp bend on way home from a brilliant run to lochearnhead with the missus when some complete w#nker in a silver vauxhall vectra is heading straight at me on the wrong side of the road, so the only way to get out his way was to take the bike along a grass embankment and lay it down to avoid him. The utter scrote didn't stop and sped off, so i didn't get his reg no. The car following behind me had to swerve to avoid him and also didn't get the reg no.. The guy and his wife stopped and said if i hadn't gone onto the grass it would have been a head on collision. What kind of utter b#stard would leave us for dead at side of the road :(  I contacted the police, who turned up and i gave them the details. The people that saw the accident will give a statement to my insurance explaining it was not my fault. I ain't sure how my insurance will work out, as i haven't got anyone to claim against. I am fully comp with protected no claims. Will my insurance pay out? Am i better off fixing it myself? Damage is fairing, which is pointing abou 6 " to the left  and  fairing bracket, scratches to headlight and a few other small scuffs. The ideal scenario would be for the insurance company to let me buy it back, so i could repair it myself.. Any advice on insurance appreciated. Thankfully both of us are fine, which is the most important thing :) Here are a couple of pics..
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
Re: Crashed my fazer
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2013, 12:33:48 pm »
lucky guy glad your ok

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2013, 12:37:42 pm »
in the long run I would get the bike fixed yourself,you can buy a complete set of panels including the tank off ebay for £400 (nothing in your colour) or you could buy just what you need to repair the bike,the problem with claiming off your insurance is the long term issues,the claim will affect your bike insurance and also your car insurance even with max ncb and protected ncb

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2013, 12:50:28 pm »
Just incase you havent seen it heres chitsus recent ish post for selling the parts you need.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7798.0.html[/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size][/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size]Glad yous are ok[/font]
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2013, 12:52:44 pm »
Glad you're both OK.

Also glad the bike is in rideable condition. Hope you fix it tip-top soon and enjoy summer days on the bike.

As for the cager.... baseball bat comes in mind...
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2013, 01:22:37 pm »
  • in the long run I would get the bike fixed yourself,you can buy a complete set of panels including the tank off ebay for £400 (nothing in your colour) or you could buy just what you need to repair the bike,
  • the problem with claiming off your insurance is the long term issues,the claim will affect your bike insurance and also your car insurance even with max ncb and protected ncb

The items that will need replacing are as follows:

Definite:
  • The front fairing
  • The subframe
  • Both inner panels
  • Left hand faring sub bracket (the one the regulator bolts to)
  • l/h rad guard.

Maybe:

• The headlight - (depending on how many of the mounts have been cracked sheared, you may be able repair. But if the unit is holed may need to be replaced)
  • The radiator - check if its been bent or leaking. If only the mounts have been tweaked your ok.
To Check:
  • Check the forks haven't been tweaked - they look fine from the photos
  • Check the bar are straight - they also look fine.
The reason I have listed the above is only because all of these can be sourced from this forum, from ebay or from breakers. If you hunt around all of these items can be had in good cond. for reasonable prices, I got most of these items from forum/ebay spare for just in case etc.

Should you wish to go down the new route, the total cost for the fairing, panels, s-frame & rad guard would be around £500, but if the headlight needs doing then £700 and if a new rad is required then you can get a pattern one for a fraction of the oem cost at around £150-200 (OEM is £400) 

And lastly solorider is partly correct, but only because you have no one to claim from and would have to claim from your own insurance it would be considered a fault claim. But you have protected no-claims w/fully comp (use it, its there for situations like this one)  and the increase to your premium would be negligible as the total amount for new parts would be under.£1000.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2013, 02:12:32 pm »
You are spot on with the definites :'( I'm not sure about headlight mounts. Will only find out if i strip it myself. Not sure yet if i will contact insurance.. yet

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2013, 02:19:10 pm »
Nae luck.  Sounds like you had a lucky escape.  Hope you get things sorted. 

Was up walking Buachaille Etive Mor yesterday.  Heading up the gully you could hear bike after bike going full tilt across Rannoch Moor then into Glencoe.    God knows what speed they were doing, certainly holding it wide open for a considerable length of time.

At the end of the day during the short dodgy walk along side the road back to the car, and getting myself sorted out once back at the car (in a lay by at the side of the road), loads of bikes went passed, most of em riding reasonably and yeah some of em going pretty quick, but I also saw plenty of total tossers.

And heading past Bridge of Orchy, after picking up a couple of hitch hikers, yup I had the inevitable suicide pass performed in front of me by some power ranger sports bike rider dude.  No wonder the police are doing mass pull overs again etc.

And surprise surprise, the speed cameras vans were oot again. 

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
I am still unsure if it will be classed as 'my fault' as i have 2 witnesses in the car behind who will back up my claim that there was nothing i could have done to avoid crashing.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2013, 02:19:41 pm »
An insurance  claim WILL affect your premium, I had a non fault accident a few years ago in a car hit by someone uninsured with a provisional licence and had to claim through my insurance who in turn had to claim against the insurance policy on the car (the guy's girlfriends).

I had to fight to get it recorded as a non fault even tho the guy was prosecuted by the police, I was fully comp with protected no claims and they put the policy premium up, I did fight it and eventually got it squashed, TBH it was a bit of a nightmare.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2013, 02:28:16 pm »
That's what i am worried about! All the insurance cr#p

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2013, 03:27:50 pm »
  • An insurance  claim WILL affect your premium, I had a non fault accident a few years ago in a car hit by someone uninsured with a provisional licence and had to claim through my insurance
  • I had to fight to get it recorded as a non fault
  • Yes but if its non-fault the insurers code of practice state they are not supposed to load your premium - dosen't stop the c**ts trying it on though.
  • Same here, every renewal I have to "explain" to them that they are not supposed to load me etc. you can check if they are by doing an anonymous ins. quote online
I am still unsure if it will be classed as 'my fault' as i have 2 witnesses in the car behind who will back up my claim that there was nothing i could have done to avoid crashing.

Hmm, I had always thought that if one makes a claim on one's policy for any reason its considered a fault claim. But then after a bit of googling it isn't as black and white as that, the fact you have two witness statements and a police crime reference to the same effect I think your right in concluding that its a non-fault accident and claim.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2013, 08:44:18 pm »
Still undecided if i want to tell insurance and just pay £500 for the parts that matter or claim for every item thats scuffed.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2013, 09:07:04 pm »
in the long run I would get the bike fixed yourself,you can buy a complete set of panels including the tank off ebay for £400
+1 That what I would do (I have done this many times before )
Plus my bike insurance has an £500 excess.. :( so it not worth me claiming unless my bike gets badly damaged
« Last Edit: 26 May 2013, 09:10:33 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2013, 10:25:45 pm »
Not forgetting the Cat status on the bike. Might make it harder to sell. Some people just won't buy a cat bike or want more money off. The excess would then be lost in the price reduction.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2013, 10:45:14 pm »
Thanks for advice guys. Took the inside fairing panels off and the headlight has the top left lug broken off, not sure if it will be secure enough with just 3 mounts, otherwise i need 2 fairing infill panels fairing and fairing frame/bracket and one radiator guard. i bent the reg/rect bracket straight. Everything else is just light scratches. The bars are straight, the bar ends are totally undamaged. Bike came off really well considering i avoided a head on collision :faz

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2013, 10:56:33 pm »
Recently had a no fault claim, didn't lose my ncb but the bike was cat c. Less dmg than yours by the sound of it. I had to find a company that would insure a cat c, and with a claim as well my insurance went from under 100 to over 300.

I brought the bike back for about 300 quid, fixed it and still use it now.
When you get insurance next they now ask about accidents not just ncb.

So if you claim, even if it is non fault (and I doubt that) expect insurance to go up a little and your bike to be a cat d or c

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
Always sad to see a bent and cracked Fazer. Glad you're ok. Just as well you were on a bike, by the sounds of it. Three times being on a bike has saved my life like that. Twat overtaking on a blind, just enough to squeeze through on a bike, but in a car it would have been a head on.

Hope it all comes back together ok for you.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2013, 09:36:57 am »
Ah yes I forgot about the excess issue and the cat status, fixing your self negates both of those little issues. And as you seem to be leaning toward fixing the bike your self, the best course of action is source good qaulity bits second hand.

The first option that present itself is to replace the firing kit as a whole, @ £400 its a steal as all those bits in that condition would cost a lot more from breakers - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7798.0.html - incdentaly this chap has two fairing kits for sale. You are then left with sourcing the subframe, the inner panels, the rad guard and a handlebar end. I cant tell from your photos, but did any of the rest of the left hand side get scuffed..?

The only parts(from the list above) I could find on ebay at were a set of forks - currently at £32, so right now your best of asking on this forum and doing a partfinder (09060300100/http://partfinderuk.co.uk/) and last sometimes you get bits on Gumtree

Ah and before I forget Its a little know fact that you can also claim under the Motor Insurer's Bureau (MIB)'s Untraced Driver's agreement, which allows injured persons to claim for injuries sustained through the fault of untraced drivers. Now as you had man handle the bike into the bushes on the side of the road you will have caused some soft tissue damage. I dont know if you can claim for the damage to the bike or just yourself, but either way you may get some money towards the cost of repairing the bike.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 10:11:56 am by b1k3rdude »

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2013, 11:43:27 am »
Firstly glad you,re both ok, total wanker not stopping !! hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest his crotch  :D repair yourself safe the cat on your insurance.  good luck with it and hope you are mobile soon.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2013, 08:24:20 pm »
I have decided to repair myself and not bother with insurance. I will need to get a silver storm coloured fairing new, a fairing bracket and a carbon rad guard. I used glass polish on the headlight and it only has very light scratches. To be honest they look like polish marks. I will need to araldite one lug back on the headlight. The bar ends are unmarked as are the indicators. The engine casing has very light scratches, but so light they haven't even gone right through the paint. Crash bungs definitely saved the day, as one is slightly bent :( . Footpegs unmarked. The only other marks are on the underside of tailpiece and the side of the belly pan, which is hardly noticeable. Put a post in for sale and wanted section. ;)