Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:38 am

Author Topic: Noisy motorcycles.  (Read 3106 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Noisy motorcycles.
« on: 28 May 2020, 09:00:08 pm »
https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/bmf-calls-quiet-amid-complaints-noisy-motorcycles?amp

With Germany , like a lot of countries, clamping down on noisy motorcycles and even talking about banning motorcycles from certain roads at weekends, do you think the days of race exhausts and modified bikes are numbered in the UK?
I know I myself now find some exhausts way too loud, but in my younger days it was the louder the better, I had a CB750 when I was 22, very similar to the one pictured in Ogri48 's latest thread, and after the original 4 into 4 exhaust rotted away I fitted a 4 into 1 exhaust, it was LOUD, my old man said it sounded like Lancaster bomber, but I thought it was the dogs bollocks. :)
« Last Edit: 28 May 2020, 09:15:20 pm by BBROWN1664 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Noisy motorcycles.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2020, 09:16:28 pm »
in Germany they tend not to allow any real mods so very few bikes have loud exhausts.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2020, 09:51:06 pm »
I live in the middle of Portsmouth, yet I can sometimes hear idiots screaming up and down the main dual carriageway that runs across the city or sometimes (if the wind is in the right direction) riding along the sea front.

I'm sure they're having great fun, but clearly they are selfish ba$$$$$s who don't give a foc about anyone else.

Of course when some government slaps down a ridiculously over-broad piece of legislation that screws up riding for everyone, they'll whinge mightily, but won't accept that they are in large part responsible for it  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 10:15:41 am »
It's the smaller bikes that have suddenly become mega loud, you know the ones you can still hear a mile away, that are extremely annoying. Almost like they've totally removed the silencer.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 10:18:25 am »
I think the main culprit are the 125cc and scooters. The exhausts sound like massive flatulence. And they don't seem to ride normally as in accelerate >change gear they just constantly yank on the throttle in endless 1 second bursts. It's so annoying. One in particular constantly yanks it up my street. I was cleaning my bike once and a passing neighbour asked if it was me  :eek  FFS.

Yes I was writing as darrsi posted almost the same.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 10:20:18 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 10:29:06 am »
I think this is a long running debate, as Slappy has mentioned. I too had loud bikes in the past and still have one, although not ridiculously but still loud, the laws are currently in place, they just need enforcing.

I think it's also worth mentioning many cars now have loud exhausts, I've got one further around my close.  He's not young about 70, with an 90's Supra, done up like Fast and Furious, it's loud, way louder than my ZX10R with it'a race Akrapovic with the baffle removed.  He often of late, he starts it up revving it on his drive way for half an hour, it's caused many an argument with his neighbours!

I can often hear cars hammering out of my village, bikes too but a lot of cars!

Enforcement of current laws is what is needed in my opinion. 

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2020, 10:37:48 am »
If I remember correctly, the MOT test doesn't measure decibels, it's up to the tester whether they 'think it's too loud'. Must be a lot of deaf testers out there.

What's odd is that my Speed Triple has no baffles but is nowhere near as loud as many.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2020, 10:42:13 am »
I dont think the bigger bike are such a problem because they are not ridden the same way like I said the small bikes seem to be, think it's just to make them sound a bigger cc than they are.

I can often hear cars hammering out of my village, bikes too but a lot of cars!
Seems to me to be an issue when you go through a 30 section in a rural village and at the end of the village and zone it turns straight back to national speed limit so you open up and to make it worse your exhaust is pointing back at the village and in a small village you are going to get it at both ends eeven with normal exhausts.
Perhaps it needs a section of 40 zone after the 30 before you hit the 60.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2020, 10:45:42 am »
I took the baffle out of my can yesterday as I just fancied a bit of eargasm hoonery and to be honest after just a 30mile trip (with ear plugs) I came home and put it back in.
Sounds beautiful on acceleration but at constant rpms is just a drone and by the end of that short ride my ears were ringing for a good half hour

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2020, 11:05:29 am »
I took the baffle out of my can yesterday as I just fancied a bit of eargasm hoonery and to be honest after just a 30mile trip (with ear plugs) I came home and put it back in.
Sounds beautiful on acceleration but at constant rpms is just a drone and by the end of that short ride my ears were ringing for a good half hour

Same with my Akrapovic, its just too loud for me without the baffle.
Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2020, 11:21:20 am »
It always makes me wonder, when I am driving up the motorway in the car and you can hear a car a mile ahead with his drainpipe exhaust even though I have my windows shut. How the foc can you sit inside the car with that racket for mile after mile then I remember the tw@t also has his stereo pumped up and rattling the windows with the bass notes and realise he is deaf.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2020, 11:47:38 am »
I think most loud pipes are for the 'look at me' effect. What they don't realise is that most of those that look are thinking 'what a w*nker'
The devil made me do it!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2020, 12:26:40 pm »
I think most loud pipes are for the 'look at me' effect. What they don't realise is that most of those that look are thinking 'what a w*nker'

To some extent and in the case of the really loud one's I 'd say you're correct and being young/er.  Having spent a lot of time commuting in/out of London every day for many years, a louder exhaust is a life saver, the balance to be struck is not excessively so.  That's the hard part, like 'what is reasonable' etc.     

Even loud one's can be a lot less annoying, it's all to do with the where, when and how etc. 
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2020, 12:30:06 pm »
It's the smaller bikes that have suddenly become mega loud, you know the ones you can still hear a mile away, that are extremely annoying.

Oh gods, yes! Why does anyone want to ride something that sounds like a demented mosquito...?!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2020, 12:50:31 pm »
It's the smaller bikes that have suddenly become mega loud, you know the ones you can still hear a mile away, that are extremely annoying.

Oh gods, yes! Why does anyone want to ride something that sounds like a demented mosquito...?!

The real issue is power and speed restrictions.  To get a bit more speed (learner scooters are speed limited (28mph and 4kW 5.3 bhp) you need more power.  To derestrict a current 50cc 2 stroke scooter in any meaning full way is it's not easy or cheap, quickest way is a pipe and a file, but it's going to be noisy, very.  Often they actually get slower but the noise give the impression of more speed.  :rolleyes
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2020, 01:54:21 pm »
Have you ever seen (heard) a Harley with a baffle?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2020, 03:57:55 pm »
About half a mile from where I live there is a bypass, I occasionally hear a bike or two  but by far it is cars I can hear mostly, booting it out of the 30 zone.
I think with bikes it is how a lot of people perceive them, noisy dangerous machines ridden by outlaws :)  .
I had a Bandit 1200 with a short open Quill can on, I sold it and bought a ZX6R that was completely standard and my wife said she thought the ZX6R was noisier.She said the Bandit sounded deeper whilst the ZX6R  sounded "shrill", like It revving really high all the time.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2020, 04:08:17 pm »
Is some of it to do with rev range? Anything that revs up to 14k is bound to be louder.

That's why Harleys only fire once every lamppost.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2020, 04:20:18 pm »

That's why Harleys only fire once every lamppost.

Brilliant 😂😂

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2020, 07:47:54 pm »
Fella I used to work with had a Harley.
My exhaust is hardly quiet, but i could rev it next to his bike ticking over and you wouldn't even know my engine was switched on.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2020, 01:51:39 pm »
my old un fires once every two lamposts. And it'd pull a house down... :lol ;)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2020, 11:09:16 pm »
Austria is imposing a 95db limit on motorcycles on 100km of Tyrolean roads. The fine is 220 euros. Cars are excluded from this ruling.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2020, 12:34:00 am »
Austria is imposing a 95db limit on motorcycles on 100km of Tyrolean roads. The fine is 220 euros. Cars are excluded from this ruling.

A few days ago, I heard a booming exhaust coming down the road behind me.

I turned to look and it was a Fiat 500...!!   :rollin :rollin

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2020, 11:09:53 am »
don't mock the Fiat 500, they really can shift if you modify them right.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2020, 11:31:37 am »
don't mock the Fiat 500, they really can shift if you modify them right.
Reminds me down some country lanes that I know quite well I came across 3 what I think may of been Fiat 850s each one had at least 2 people in in and I was thinking "oh great ! these are going hold me up for miles" but boy could those shift and I actually had fun following them for a few miles. Looked like they were off to some sort of club meet. And I am not sure they were Fiat 850s but a google search looks like em.