Date: 24-04-24  Time: 08:28 am

Author Topic: Could be the next FZ  (Read 3750 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Could be the next FZ
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2020, 11:25:34 am »
My remote adjuster is mounted off the pillion footpeg. It's got to be somewhere accessible for ease of use, otherwise there's no point in having it.
Or one could just purchase a new BMW with Dynamic ESA.  My active suspension is constantly monitoring road conditions and tweaking the damping to suit.  It also monitors weight and automatically adjusts pre-load to suit – so no remote adjuster to faff about with, or spoil the lines of the bike.  BMW – what what!   :D

Anyway, I wouldn’t get too excited about that mock up.  It’s rough and ready, probably knocked up by a desperate bike journo needing a story during lockdown, and even if it did originate from Yamaha, it’ll just be put out to gauge reaction.

What is more interesting is Yamaha’s talk of turbo chargers. 
I mean look what turbos have done for cars

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2020, 06:59:45 pm »
Dynamic ESA, foc that when it goes wrong. Getting the Ohlins serviced is dear enough for me thanks.
 Only ever owned one BMW.
 Never spent so much keeping one motorcycle on the road in all my life. So, not a fan.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2020, 08:49:06 am »
My remote adjuster is mounted off the pillion footpeg. It's got to be somewhere accessible for ease of use, otherwise there's no point in having it.
Or one could just purchase a new BMW with Dynamic ESA.  My active suspension is constantly monitoring road conditions and tweaking the damping to suit.  It also monitors weight and automatically adjusts pre-load to suit – so no remote adjuster to faff about with, or spoil the lines of the bike.  BMW – what what!   :D

Anyway, I wouldn’t get too excited about that mock up.  It’s rough and ready, probably knocked up by a desperate bike journo needing a story during lockdown, and even if it did originate from Yamaha, it’ll just be put out to gauge reaction.

Its funny how beemer bikes used to look like oddballs next to their japanese counterparts. Now it the opposite. BMWs look like 'proper' motorbikes, whilst a lot of the jap bikes look like summat off a kids cartoon strip, with odd angles and bits of plastic flying off in every direction.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2020, 10:34:31 am »
Dynamic ESA, foc that when it goes wrong. Getting the Ohlins serviced is dear enough for me thanks.
 Only ever owned one BMW.
 Never spent so much keeping one motorcycle on the road in all my life. So, not a fan.
What bike did you have Robbo? 

I am hoping BMW’s are more sorted and reliable than some of them used to be.  The three year warranty helps if you are buying new or nearly new.

If I was to buy another new one, I’m not sure I’d spec ESA again.  The demo bike had it, and it felt good so I specced it.  But maybe it’s just another gimmick like quick shifters, auto blippers and rider modes.
Its funny how beemer bikes used to look like oddballs next to their japanese counterparts. Now it the opposite. BMWs look like 'proper' motorbikes, whilst a lot of the jap bikes look like summat off a kids cartoon strip, with odd angles and bits of plastic flying off in every direction.
Yeah it’s one of the things I like about my Beemer.  It looks proper and solid – purposeful.  There’s still some great looking new Japanese bikes, but then there’s a lot of stuff that is just plain awful.

Another thing about BMW is their range.  They used to make a small range of odd ball bikes.  Now they seem to have one of the widest ranges of all the manufactures, plus yeah the three year warranty.  No longer are they purely for flat cap sporting, slipper wearing, pipe smoking wankers. 

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 June 2020, 11:58:33 am »
No longer are they purely for flat cap sporting, slipper wearing, pipe smoking wankers.

Isn't that kind of character profiling tens of thousands of people you've never even met, simply by the make of motorcycle they choose to ride?
« Last Edit: 16 June 2020, 04:29:38 pm by vinnyb »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 June 2020, 12:00:17 pm »
Yeah, people like me. :lol   Now where the heck did I put my pipe cleaner. 

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 June 2020, 12:32:42 pm »

Motorcycles are going the same way as cars. Too expensive, cant maintain them yourself, cant reset the service lights when youve serviced it, cant be modified etc. Needs to design and sell bikes for the masses for commuting, not hipsters that ride them too show off

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 June 2020, 01:15:08 pm »
Dynamic ESA, foc that when
What bike did you have Robbo? 

It was an R1150GS. I bought it 4 years old with 18,000 miles on the clock. Every other year something expensive failed.The gearbox giving up the ghost at 52,000 miles, on the way home from the 2015 Bol d'Or, was the final straw. The most annoying fault was when the two bob seal on the clutch slave cylinder failed, it caused fluid to contaminate a perfectly good clutch. Not a cheap job. :'(

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 June 2020, 01:23:36 pm »
Personally if I were go down a cafe racer type route then something like a nicely done xjr1300 would be more my cup of tea

Those are not cafe racers - they don't have knobbly tyres, exhaust wrap, brown leather saddles, or control cables dangling in the wind from the high-rise handlebars.

Come on Dude, get with the times  :rollin

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 June 2020, 05:09:38 pm »

To be fair, you had kind of excluded yourself from your description of BMW riders by implying that they were no longer purely for that kind of person. But even if you do see yourself in that way (which I find highly unlikely) I'm sure that many owners would find what you wrote really quite rude and offensive.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 June 2020, 06:29:34 pm »
I wouldnt have thought so mate, in all seriousness. The days when any off us takes ourselves seriously are long gone aint they? VNAs signature is as self effacing as they come and then some. I ride an old Harley and theres still a lot of people out there riding stuff like my bike because they are wannabe outlaws etc, but I know they are wankers, they know they are wankers, and they probably undoubtably know I'm a wanker too cos I ride one just because I like engineering from the ark. :) :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
« Last Edit: 16 June 2020, 06:32:09 pm by ogri48 »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 June 2020, 07:17:30 pm »
Quote from: VNA - BMW Wank on Today at 12:00:17 PM

To be fair, you had kind of excluded yourself from your description of BMW riders by implying that they were no longer purely for that kind of person. But even if you do see yourself in that way (which I find highly unlikely) I'm sure that many owners would find what you wrote really quite rude and offensive.

BMW’s did used to, for quite some time, have a reputation of being the sensible option.  The gentleman’s steed.  As opposed to the brash new, look at me, go faster bad boy Japanese bikes.  And have you ever seen the BMW club roll into your town?  Plenty of beards, half face helmets and yes pipes. 

I’m sure we can all agree that BMW has changed quite radically over the last 15 years.  Well I think so.  Or I dunno, I am in my 50’s now – and I’m riding a boxer. :eek

VNAs signature is as self effacing as they come and then some.
Be careful what you say in jest when a certain administrator going by the handle of  BBROWN is aboot. :evil

I ride an old Harley and theres still a lot of people out there riding stuff like my bike because they are wannabe outlaws etc,
I always imagine that once you have placed your order for your new Harley at your local HD dealer, they then say “step this way Sir” and lead one through to the outlaw clothing department.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 June 2020, 07:33:25 pm »

BMW’s did used to, for quite some time, have a reputation of being the sensible option.  The gentleman’s steed.  As opposed to the brash new, look at me, go faster bad boy Japanese bikes.  And have you ever seen the BMW club roll into your town?  Plenty of beards, half face helmets and yes pipes. 

Oh that's fine then. It's ok to be rude about them.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 June 2020, 08:48:11 pm »
Oh that's fine then. It's ok to be rude about them.
Foc me.  I give up. :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 June 2020, 07:35:41 am »
Oh oh :eek . Recall on BMW R Nine T, 1250GS, RT, R and RS produced between 31st Oct 2019 and 30th Jan 2020. Something about iffy rear wheel spokes.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 June 2020, 10:47:23 am »

It was an R1150GS. I bought it 4 years old with 18,000 miles on the clock. Every other year something expensive failed.The gearbox giving up the ghost at 52,000 miles, on the way home from the 2015 Bol d'Or, was the final straw. The most annoying fault was when the two bob seal on the clutch slave cylinder failed, it caused fluid to contaminate a perfectly good clutch. Not a cheap job.

Yeah, I remember at a demo in Edinburgh I was attended years ago I got talking to one of the police bikers.  He had a FJR1300 and I asked him how he was getting on with it “I absolutely love it” he told me, but added that it wasn’t his bike, “my piece of crap is in for repair again” and he went on to slag off his police issue boxer.  My god he hated that boxer, and it seemed to hate him going by the number of times it left him stranded and calling for assistance.

Like I say, I’m hoping BMW’s design and quality control is a good bit better than it used to be.  Anyway I’m, covered by their 3 year warranty.  Just need the opportunity to get out on the thing a bit more.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 June 2020, 11:11:15 am »

I’m sure we can all agree that BMW has changed quite radically over the last 15 years.  Well I think so.  Or I dunno, I am in my 50’s now – and I’m riding a boxer. :eek

VNAs signature is as self effacing as they come and then some.
Be careful what you say in jest when a certain administrator going by the handle of  BBROWN is aboot. :evil

I ride an old Harley and theres still a lot of people out there riding stuff like my bike because they are wannabe outlaws etc,
I always imagine that once you have placed your order for your new Harley at your local HD dealer, they then say “step this way Sir” and lead one through to the outlaw clothing department.
:lol :lol :lol :thumbup

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 June 2020, 03:29:01 pm »

Like I say, I’m hoping BMW’s design and quality control is a good bit better than it used to be.  Anyway I’m, covered by their 3 year warranty.  Just need the opportunity to get out on the thing a bit more.

Are you still not allowed out to play up there in Scotsville?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 June 2020, 05:13:43 pm »
Are you still not allowed out to play up there in Scotsville?
Who me?
I live in Scotland.  Not South Africa.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 June 2020, 06:29:35 pm »
Yeah you... dunno why it autocorrected to scotsville haha

VNA - BMW Wank