Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:50 pm

Author Topic: Hello Me Decide FZS600 to FZ1-S??  (Read 2397 times)

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
Hello Me Decide FZS600 to FZ1-S??
« on: 27 October 2019, 04:38:03 pm »
So. Having been a very happy rider of a 03 plate foxeye 600 for 4 years (adding nearly 60k miles) I have been offered a good price on a 2006 FZ1-S.

Should I take the plunge? What will I love about the Thou? What will I miss from the 600?

Keeping both not an option. I need to trade in, due mainly to the ULEZ, and the 06 Thou has been tested and exempted from ULEZ by current owner

What do?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Me Decide FZS600 to FZ1-S??
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
You will miss everyday practicality. The FZ1 has some fans on this forum, but most prefer the earlier 2001-2005 FZS version of the bike. At the risk of a virtual public lynching, I'll stick my neck out.

The 2006 bike apparently had fueling issues with an on-off abrupt throttle transition, tho this was dependent upon the rider: some never even noticed an issue. Beyond an ECU reflash, there is a fuel cutoff device available that cures the problem, but without it making your way through London area traffic (?) could be a real PITA.

I would say the 2006 FZ1:
  • Has disappointing low-down torque for the engine size.
  • Needs revving to start shifting at a decent lick (tho when it does finally light up you're in for a treat).
  • Has poor fuel economy, made worse by a smaller petrol tank than it's predecessor.
  • Has seats whose comfort barely matches it's tank range.
  • Looks like it has better suspension than its predecessor with USD forks, but doesnt really as everyone seems to send them off for internal revalving (or even fit R1 forks).
Plenty of magazines have concluded that the newer FZ1 was much more sporty and not as practical as the original model. Do you want sporty for commuting?
Not sure why you're going this route - I thought I'd read on this site that the older FZS1000 was also ULEZ compliant?

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2019, 08:07:51 pm »
Cheers for that. Lots of reviews mention the fueling issue too.
I've got an 03 fzs600 at the moment that isn't ULEZ free.

I've kinda been looking for a newer bike but not sure what to get, when a friend of a friend is getting rid of a 06 FZ1

I've always fancied a litre bike... Scratching an itch before I get too old, but turned this down assuming it wasn't ULEZ free. Then found out he's got it tested and exempted and shows as free on ULEZ checker

So was tempted enough and a good enough price that I'm picking it up on Friday!

Keeping the 600 for a bit as it needs some TLC before letting someone else have a go, so it'll give me a chance to try the Thou for a bit still having the 600 in reserve!

Really really hope I'm not disappointed though,

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2019, 08:36:52 pm »
Ring it’s neck mate, you will love the power!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2019, 07:18:10 am »
I've got a 2008 FZ1S First thing to say is tank range is not the best ring it's neck and I've had mine to30/34mpg which means your looking for fuel at about 90 miles, and as said earlier the lump of oak Yamaha pass for a seat is uncomfortable to say the very least so the tank range is a perfect match for the seat  :eek . Round towns mine easily copes with slow moving traffic never noticed any lack of lowdown torque. When ridden hard that 2004 R1 lump comes alive, on real roads it will hang on to most sports bikes (it's a licence looser). It's a compromise between a sports bike and a naked and I would say a decent one at that. Had mine 4 years now, not had any problems with it just service it every year, I'm 64 and it still brings a smile to this old f*rts :o face every time I ride it. :)     

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2019, 09:13:34 am »

The FZ1 is great and those that say otherwise have either never ridden one or when they did, they didn't actually 'RIDE' it.

I've never had an FZS, so I can't compare, but everything I read says they are for a more relaxed (for me this should read boring) ride. Fair enough if that's your bag, but I don't think I'll ever part with my FZ1(S).
I've had sports bikes and more sedate stuff like Bandits. Get the seat upgraded and an FZ1 is the perfect compromise. Go fast and stay with the litre sports bikes when you want, or pootle around looking at scenery. I bloody love it!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2019, 09:56:44 pm »
If you want to up grade the seat don't waste your money on a genuine Yam comfort seat they are only slightly more comfortable but not worth the price I bought one so I speak from experience. Your back side will still be numb long before you need to stop for you're second tank of fuel. Butt ache or not it's still a great bike.   

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2019, 05:38:11 pm »

The FZ1 is great and those that say otherwise have either never ridden one or when they did, they didn't actually 'RIDE' it.

I've never had an FZS, so I can't compare, but everything I read says they are for a more relaxed (for me this should read boring) ride.
No, with an engine based on the original R1, it's not remotely boring: Voted world's best Streetbike 2004 as per CycleWorld -  https://www.cycleworld.com/why-original-yamaha-fz1-was-so-damn-good/
 But the OP was asking if the updated FZ1 would make a good commuter - compared to the original model, it won't.

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2019, 09:20:56 pm »

I've never had an FZS, so I can't compare, but everything I read says they are for a more relaxed (for me this should read boring) ride.
No, with an engine based on the original R1, it's not remotely boring: Voted world's best Streetbike 2004 as per CycleWorld -  https://www.cycleworld.com/why-original-yamaha-fz1-was-so-damn-good/
 But the OP was asking if the updated FZ1 would make a good commuter - compared to the original model, it won't.
Awww. did I hurt your Gen 1 feelings? Bless.  Everything I've ever read about the Gen1 is it's more sedate. I therefore prefer the Gen2 :D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2019, 12:56:04 am »
I speak as someone who neither owns a 1K FZS or FZ1 or even a FZS 600 for that matter.
But as an Ex FZS600 03 Foxeye owner I would resign my job in London and keep the FZS 600. What a fantastic piece of kit they are.
Sold mine to a foccer on here, I sure he loves it (If of course he still has it) but I really regretted selling it, it had all the upgrades it could have, inc cartridge emulators and Ohlins Linears, blue spot caliper on the back, SS brake lines, SS headers and sports can
And it was the sensible silver model.
There weren’t many 600’s that could keep up with it one the lanes.
Damn I loved everything about that bike.
Don’t sell the little FZS you will end up in tears. :'(

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2019, 10:20:03 pm »
I haven't been at this forum for years but good to see the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 argument still raging well  :z

I'll try to help without any bias if I can. I've owned 2 x Fazer 600's and currently have an FZ1 which i've owned for 8 years. My mileage across those 3 bikes is about 130k so here are my brief thoughts on the FZ1: -

- The build quality is exceptional and in 8 years it's a tight as a drum without a single rattle or issue. I don't ride like Miss Daisy either
- Ignore anyone doubting the engine. It pulls at low revs and is a missile above 6k - it's simple.
- If you bought one, coming up from a 600 you will be stunned and addicted....there's no going back.
- My FZ1 is a 2007 version and I bought it with a Power Commander, customer fuelling and Ivan's FCE which eliminates the well documented low speed shite fuelling already mentioned. If the one you are looking at hasn't had similar treatment then be prepared to have a crap low speed ride or pay a few hundred quid to sort it.

However.....

For a long while I had a couple of 600's and my FZ1 at the same time. I got far more enjoyment hooning my way to work on my 600's. Whether that was a SV650 or FZS600. That was purely because I could rev the bollocks off them and throw it around like a goon without doing REALLY silly speeds. The trouble with the FZ1 is that it's so capable, by the time you're really wringing it's neck you're doing triple figures in any gear above 1st!!

If I go on a tour or a long weekend ride then the FZ1 is the bike I take but for everyday riding, especially if it's commuting then I don't think it's the right bike really. If it's a leisure bike only then sure, go for it....you'll grin everytime you open the throttle and crap your pants too. But, if you need it every day then you may find it a bit frustrating to ride as it's always within itself unless you're really stretching it's legs on a wide open road regularly. Also, the 35mpg quoted is about right....my FZS600 used to get 55 - 60mpg all day long.

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2019, 11:27:15 pm »
Thanks all for the replies.

Typically, I've bought it.

First impressions...
[size=78%]The gear lever is too high, and doesn't always select a gear when changing up. My fault, it's not easy to get the full travel in the lever at the moment. An easy fix when I get round to it.[/size]
The headlights are aimed waaaay high. To the point where oncoming traffic is flashing me. I've swapped out the led bulbs from the 600, and need to screw the aim down a bit.
The rear brake is also a little high. And the clutch doesn't disengage until way off the bars, so I sometimes give it too much revs before pulling away.

I've had the cover off the exup. All seems clean and tidy in there. Not noticed anything particularly when rolling back on the throttle, but I'm not confident enough to whack the throttle open like I did on the 600!

The seats a bit hard after an hour.

By Christ does it like to go tho!!

So much more relaxing than the 600 for pootling about but I'm used to dropping down to 4th to do an overtake and this thing just flies off...!

No heated grips yet, and don't know if I can bring myself to put muffs on it for the winter. But it doesn't even feel that much heavier or bulkier than the 600.

So yeah, love it. Little bit intimidated, and annoyed that I will never push the limits of what it can do because a) rider skill and b) licence retention.

What an awesome machine.
Love it love it love it.

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2019, 05:45:06 am »
Well welcome to the FZ1 then and congratulations.

At the point I bought mine, I was pretty handy and pushing my 600 to the limits pretty well but it was another level as you say. You'll get more and more used to it and in some months or years when it's like a comfortable glove you'll be amazed at it's true power and performance. It can embarrass plenty of sports bikes believe me and yet i've toured all of Europe on mine too.....fantastic machine and that's why I've never considered changing mine in the 8 years i've had it even though i've had plenty of opportunities to do so.

Check out this real world review, might give you some tips of what you may want to change. As I said, I had the fuelling sorted on mine so not really sure how bad it can be.

Enjoy!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2019, 03:51:16 pm »
Good choice Zark Just get used to it before using it to the full it will bite enjoy