Date: 19-04-24  Time: 03:33 am

Author Topic: front fork re-assembly  (Read 1971 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
front fork re-assembly
« on: 30 July 2014, 01:43:38 pm »
Having a bit of a senior moment here   :o.......iam trying to replace the fork seals on my project fazer as failed mot....stripped down with no problems........so, the rebuild.place damper rod with spring into fork tube, making sure its in the guide at bottom, place fork tube into fork lower and insert bolt into bottom of fork lower and screw into damper rod....no problem, but.......and this will sound silly to those that know  :o.....the fork is now locked, no up/down movement....I can see why but dont know what iam doing wrong.......help please iam pulling whats left of my hair out...
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: front fork re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2014, 01:45:11 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 July 2014, 01:48:28 pm by red98 »

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2014, 05:14:42 pm »
Hi Red98,

Done the same on mine, put the stanchion back in the yolk grab the fork leg and PULL HARD, they just get stuck together, took me a while to work this out :lol
Mark

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2014, 05:49:16 pm »
Cheers mark...worked a treat, thank you....reading back through the guide it does state that pushing the  tube all the way in the lower it can get jammed.....I could see what was happening but could'nt understand why, the plastic guide that fits in the bottom of the fork tube must be tappered slightly, I measured it but I did'nt think in a million years the damper rod would fit, did'nt want to force it as it seamed brittle...driving me mad all day.it came out without a fight........bit more fazer information rattling about in my head now......thanks for sharing and helping.......back together tonight and mot in the morning  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2014, 06:11:01 pm »
This site is great aint it :)

I think only a small percentage even attempt these jobs themselves but it's handy to know that theres always someone else on here thats willing to help if we do.

& i dont think Mark ypvs even has a fazer anymore do you Mark?.........out of interest are you solely YPVS now and do you miss the  :faz ???.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2014, 06:34:02 pm »
No i dont have the Fazer, sold it to a friend of mine who works with me ( fitted some renthalls to it yesterday :D )

I have an R1 (1st Injection) and the YPVS but im selling that :o :'(

This is a great site and helped me out so i stick around in the backround and try and help if poss

Glad you got it sorted Red , i went a bit mad trying to free mine up  :rollin :rollin

Oh  yes i miss the Fazer ( and the clock :rolleyes :rolleyes ) but loving the R1 (again)
Mark :)
« Last Edit: 30 July 2014, 06:35:39 pm by Mark YPVS »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2014, 06:51:09 pm »
Yep...sent me mad aswell  :rolleyes  just finished assembling one of the forks, great improvement on the old seals and oil   :)    ok.time to fess up.....after my first attempt at assembling the fork i thought, no problem, I must have assembled the parts in the wrong order, silly old me, but its ok as i have another fork i can strip down and take note of the order of parts and assemble both together...easy peasy....no.....i now have two forks that are jammed in the down position    :o :o :o

coolhandluke

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2015, 08:50:11 pm »
thanks for this post I'm having the same trouble. I will give it a go now and see how i get on!!

and as mentioned above, this is a great site, im no mechanic but with forums such as this it makes even a simpleton like me able to do jobs which a garage would charge a fortune for!!