Date: 25-04-24  Time: 09:44 am

Author Topic: speed camera  (Read 1446 times)

castro

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
speed camera
« on: 06 August 2020, 09:04:08 pm »
Can the new speed cams on the A69 take pic,s of the rear of a motorbike ?. :'(

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: speed camera
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2020, 09:12:19 pm »
If its a forward facing camera the answer would be no...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2020, 09:29:32 pm »
Dunno, some say the latest average speed cameras are front and rear facing.
Also new average speed cameras on the A82 from Crianlarich to Tyndrum.  I'm worried more might be on the way.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2020, 10:27:22 pm »

The thing that concerns me most when driving through cams such as the variable ones on the M25 is a rear-end shunt.
I seem to be about the only one on the road that takes a blind bit of notice of them and observes the limit passing through. Most people appear to just carry on at 70mph and the truck behind roars right up to within an inch of my back bumper willing me to speed up through it.
They must all know something I don't :rolleyes

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2020, 06:52:58 am »

There are average speed camera on the M27 at the moment, signed as set to 50mph. When I keep a steady 50 through them I seem to be the slowest thing out there and yes, tailgating happens a lot. (Why?) Went in a friend's car last week, he has been commuting along that stretch of road for months. He set his cruise control to 56mph, said he has been doing it like that twice every day and hasn't had a ticket yet....
« Last Edit: 10 August 2020, 07:32:49 am by bludclot »
is it clean enough?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2020, 08:49:09 am »

There are average speed camera on the M27 at the moment, signed as set to 50mph. When I keep a steady 50 through them I seem to be the slowest thing out there and yes, tailgating happens a lot. (Why?) Went in a friend's car last week, he has been commuting along that stretch of road for months. He set his cruise control to 56mph, said he has been doing it like that twice every day and hasn't had a ticket yet....

Allowing for the 10%+2mph on a dead accurate speedo, he will be 1mph under the threshold. Allowing for maximum speedo inaacuracy, he could be ready 55 before he actually hits a real 50mph anyway..
I try to use my SatNav speedo in the variable limits in the car/van. Set the cruise to a real 52mph and am generally one of the faster vehicles there.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2020, 11:13:39 am »
There are average speed camera on the M27 at the moment, signed as set to 50mph. When I keep a steady 50 through them I seem to be the slowest thing out there and yes, tailgating happens a lot. (Why?)

If possible, I use alternative routes which avoid that section because it is intensely tedious, but still requires a lot of concentration to keep below the limit :(

But if I ride at 50mph according to my speedo, my sat nav says I'm actually doing about 45mph.

If I ride at an indicated 55mph, the sat nav says I'm doing 50.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2020, 11:20:18 am »
Most people appear to just carry on at 70mph and the truck behind roars right up to within an inch of my back bumper willing me to speed up through it.
I had that only last week in the car, the gantry signs were 60 then 50 M6 through Birmingham and from 1 gantry you can see the next one up ahead and once I had gone through the 50 you can see up ahead that the gantry had national speed limit on it and so I had a lorry right up my arse blasting his horn and then he undertook me. As far as I know the speed limit for the section you are on applies at the point of the sign and not the one you can see in the distance.
Lorry drivers - professional drivers my arse - they are the worst on the road. I hear they are to be trailing electrifying lane 1 and using electric lorries. Sounds great to me, would save them overtaking each other for 5 miles.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2020, 11:41:19 am »

Lorry drivers - professional drivers my arse - they are the worst on the road. I hear they are to be trailing electrifying lane 1 and using electric lorries. Sounds great to me, would save them overtaking each other for 5 miles.   

I'd go stir crazy stuck in that cab all day for mile after mile after mile....... :z

The trouble is they've got their right foot buried in the floor carpet at the max 56mph and woe betide any other road user that drops down to 55 or lower in front of them, 'cos that right foot ain't lifting no matter what.

I can understand that in the normal 70mph zones, but they don't want to slow down at all in the 50/40 zones either :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2020, 12:21:42 pm »
As far as I know the speed limit for the section you are on applies at the point of the sign and not the one you can see in the distance.

Yep, the limit changes *after* the sign, you can't "take a run" at the one in the distance.

Apparently there is a two minute "window" allowed such that if you are just approaching a sign and it changes, you don't have to dangerously slam on your brakes to try to decelerate to that limit.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2020, 12:26:41 pm »
I had a lorry right up my arse blasting his horn and then he undertook me. As far as I know the speed limit for the section you are on applies at the point of the sign and not the one you can see in the distance.

1. If you were in a position where the lorry could undertake you, you were in the wrong lane :pokefun
2. Speed limits apply from the sign, not before (when speeding up) or after (when slowing down)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2020, 02:03:06 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 04:55:04 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2020, 02:52:55 pm »

1. If you were in a position where the lorry could undertake you, you were in the wrong lane :pokefun

Yes I was expecting that one. It was busy traffic and I was already in lane 2 overtaking other slower vehicles when everything started to slow. Actually I may of even technically of been in lane 3 because it was a section with the STUPID Death lane (old hard shoulder)   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 04:55:27 pm by YamFazFan »