Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:46 am

Author Topic: Weird rattle/scratching and high pitch noise from engine  (Read 4070 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Weird rattle/scratching and high pitch noise from engine
« on: 21 December 2018, 08:35:27 pm »
Hi Guys

Tonight I was riding my bike home from work when all of a sudden as soon as I started to get up to about 30/35mph this high pitch squeaking noise started coming from the engine, below 35mph all I can is a rattle or scratching like sound but I have no idea what any of this could mean.

I managed to record the noise on my helmet camera and so feel free to have a listen to the video I've attached (Would recommend headphones).

I managed to get the bike back home and so will now not ride it until I know what this problem is. My bike is a 2001 Yamaha FZS600 with 43k on the clock.

Really hope you can help me understand what on earth is going on with my bike, thanks in advance.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Weird rattle/scratching and high pitch noise from engine
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2018, 09:59:30 pm »
Any noise with engine running, bike stationery?,

Did you replace speed rota sensor on front wheel,

Spin wheels check brake calipers aren't seized on , chain to slack/tight or seized links, remove front sprocket cover check front nut & clean out any crap build up.     

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2018, 10:42:10 pm »
Any noise with engine running, bike stationery?,

Did you replace speed rota sensor on front wheel,

Spin wheels check brake calipers aren't seized on , chain to slack/tight or seized links, remove front sprocket cover check front nut & clean out any crap build up.   

The bike does not make any noise when stationery, or at least nothing like this noise at all.

The speedy sensor on the front will was replaced less than a month ago at a garage do you think maybe they didn't grease it up?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2018, 10:54:59 pm »
Well may be! put bike on center stand put some weight on pillion seat to raise front wheel & give it a good spin.   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2018, 11:16:22 pm »
Doubt you'll recreate that noise just by spinning the wheel but obviously give it a go anyway.
It has got a plastic sound to it, so you could well be on the right track with the sensor area being too clean, it should be packed with thick grease before refitting it.
Grease can also keep the sensor housing in place a bit better when putting it all back together as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2018, 11:21:58 pm »
Agree with above. Happened with mine, but straight away after replacing the sensor. A very high pitched whine getting worse the higher the speed. Needs lots and lots of grease.

daviee

« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2018, 08:24:06 am »
deffo the speedo drive take it out  and re grease  it be careful to put it back in properly or the lugs will break off

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2018, 10:00:58 am »
deffo the speedo drive take it out  and re grease  it be careful to put it back in properly or the lugs will break off

Could it just be wind noise, vent in top of helmet making noise?
Would make sense it getting louder the faster you go. Just a suggestion.

But my guess would be the same as others as the speedo sensor has recently been replaced.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2018, 12:02:36 am »
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions so far, I got in contact with the garage who did the work for me and showed them the camera footage, they have apologised for what they believe is an error when installing the speedo sensor, they are wanting the bike back in next friday to have a look at the speedo sensor and hopefully to put it in correctly.

Thank again for all your help guys hopefully it turns out just to be the speedo sensor

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2018, 09:31:24 am »
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions so far, I got in contact with the garage who did the work for me and showed them the camera footage, they have apologised for what they believe is an error when installing the speedo sensor, they are wanting the bike back in next friday to have a look at the speedo sensor and hopefully to put it in correctly.

Thank again for all your help guys hopefully it turns out just to be the speedo sensor

It must only be a grease thing. The only way to put it in incorrectly would involve not lining up the two lugs properly so when you tighten up the wheel nut it just snaps them off, but that also means the speedo wouldn't work at all either, and you mentioned what speed you were doing so it does appear to be working.
You could always do it yourself, just as a learning curve, as long as you have a decent grease to use.
In the mean time though, i would have to suggest not riding it too much in its current state otherwise it'll end up overheating and possibly breaking anyway.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2018, 01:05:09 pm »
Hi all

Bit of an update, the front wheel was taken off today and the speed sensor was put in correctly and had a lot of grease around it and so the mechanic believes it should be working fine and not causing the noise. He did however replace my front wheel bearing as the one in the bike had a lot of play in it which he believes could be causing the noise. He put the bike back together and I went for a ride and success the noise has disappeared but now my speedo is back to playing up, the needle just jumps all over the place, it'll show the speed I'm going for a second then drop, then rise then drop again etc, however the new speedo sensor looks fine and so I was wondering could this possibly be the speedo cable playing up?

Hope someone can give some insight?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2018, 02:14:22 pm »
Hi all

Bit of an update, the front wheel was taken off today and the speed sensor was put in correctly and had a lot of grease around it and so the mechanic believes it should be working fine and not causing the noise. He did however replace my front wheel bearing as the one in the bike had a lot of play in it which he believes could be causing the noise. He put the bike back together and I went for a ride and success the noise has disappeared but now my speedo is back to playing up, the needle just jumps all over the place, it'll show the speed I'm going for a second then drop, then rise then drop again etc, however the new speedo sensor looks fine and so I was wondering could this possibly be the speedo cable playing up?

Definitely the Speedo, not the Rev counter?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2018, 02:21:45 pm »
An incorrectly routed cable can result in it getting brushed by the heads of the brake disc bolts. Once they’ve worn through the insulation that can give some crazy readings on the speedo.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2018, 05:10:40 pm »
Hi all

Definitely the Speedo, not the Rev counter?

Nope it's just the speedo, my rev counter is fine, I did a TPS test a few weeks ago and it was perfect, but since my speedo started playing up all I've done is replace the rotor sensor and doesn't appeared to of worked.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2018, 08:37:40 pm »
 :rolleyes 
« Last Edit: 28 December 2018, 08:59:03 pm by bandit »

daviee

« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2018, 08:49:40 pm »
its not a cable drive its electric

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2018, 09:20:43 pm »
If the speedo was working fine before today before the work was done then they have either put it back wrong or snapped the lugs off the rota on reassembly.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2018, 10:41:23 pm »
If the speedo was working fine before today before the work was done then they have either put it back wrong or snapped the lugs off the rota on reassembly.

That did cross my mind as well, it may well have been fine beforehand, but you can't discount the chance that it may have been misaligned when being put back together.
Only one way to find out though.....

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2018, 12:38:53 am »

That did cross my mind as well, it may well have been fine beforehand, but you can't discount the chance that it may have been misaligned when being put back together.

Nope the the rotor sensor is fine I was there to witness the work happen, it had loads of grease in there as well, the front wheel bearing he changed has stopped the annoying noise from the video however my speedo is now just completely useless, I went out for a ride tonight and it is just jumping all over the place, the mechanic said the next thing to change would be the speed cable but I'm wary because clearly changing the rotor sensor did nothing.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2018, 07:27:50 am »
Changing the cable means the sensor as well as daviee has pointed out is electric.

1, Loose connection block in sensor wiring
2, Faulty sensor/wiring
3, Snapped lug/lugs on rota sensor

The lugs are snapped off when axle is tightened if the rota is not positioned correctly, as darrsi has said you will have to remove the front wheel again to check. 

Did the speedometer work as normal with the noise before the rota was replaced ? as you never mentioned in your first post it was faulty as said you quoted your speed when the noise was happening. 
« Last Edit: 29 December 2018, 09:31:44 am by bandit »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2018, 10:53:06 am »

Nope the the rotor sensor is fine I was there to witness the work happen, it had loads of grease in there as well, the front wheel bearing he changed has stopped the annoying noise from the video however my speedo is now just completely useless, I went out for a ride tonight and it is just jumping all over the place, the mechanic said the next thing to change would be the speed cable but I'm wary because clearly changing the rotor sensor did nothing.

You can't really 'witness' it being put back right, only by doing it yourself can you 'feel' that it's been done correctly.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of doing this will know exactly what i'm on about.
Don't 100% rule out broken lugs, if it worked okay before but doesn't now then that makes it the prime suspect.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2018, 11:31:03 pm »

You can't really 'witness' it being put back right, only by doing it yourself can you 'feel' that it's been done correctly.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of doing this will know exactly what i'm on about.
Don't 100% rule out broken lugs, if it worked okay before but doesn't now then that makes it the prime suspect.

When the noise started is when the speedo started to play up a little (once every 10 minutes maybe) when it went into the garage on Friday he took the wheel off and the rotor sensor still was in good condition and covered in loads of grease however the front wheel bearing had a lot of play, since replacing the bearing and putting the wheel back on the bike stopped making the noise but now my speedo is all over the place all of the time, it jumps from the speed I'm doing to 0mph and it does this over and over and over again.

Surely it has to be something else as the speedo started to play up before the bearing was replaced when I saw the rotor sensor, the only problem I'm having is I can't find whatever speedo wire everyone is on about anywhere for sale. If I can find one I will buy one and probably buy another rotor sensor just to be on the safe side.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2018, 04:24:08 am »

When the noise started is when the speedo started to play up a little (once every 10 minutes maybe) when it went into the garage on Friday he took the wheel off and the rotor sensor still was in good condition and covered in loads of grease however the front wheel bearing had a lot of play, since replacing the bearing and putting the wheel back on the bike stopped making the noise but now my speedo is all over the place all of the time, it jumps from the speed I'm doing to 0mph and it does this over and over and over again.

Surely it has to be something else as the speedo started to play up before the bearing was replaced when I saw the rotor sensor, the only problem I'm having is I can't find whatever speedo wire everyone is on about anywhere for sale. If I can find one I will buy one and probably buy another rotor sensor just to be on the safe side.

As you can see from the links above if you do buy the whole thing then another rotor sensor will already come with it, just make sure you keep the one you have now as well as a spare, it just slides out.