Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:45 pm

Author Topic: Braided Brake Lines  (Read 4916 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Braided Brake Lines
« on: 14 January 2017, 03:13:17 pm »
Hey again guys hope you are all well.

Have been thinking recent about putting some braided brake lines on my fazer and just wanted to know:

A. Does anyone else have them on their FZS600 and how are they?
B. Do you all think it's worth doing?
C. What are the best braided brake lines (front and rear) for the bike as so many manufacturers make them?

Hope you guys can help me out as always ☺

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Braided Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2017, 03:42:16 pm »
A. I have them, i find slight improvement in braking, old rubber hoses will be well passed there use date now too, so a good mod I think.
B. Yes as above slight better breaking, you can also choose different colours and helps customise the bike a bit.
C. You will get a Foc-U discount from HEL on braided lines, think its 25%

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2017, 05:34:14 pm »
A. I have them, i find slight improvement in braking, old rubber hoses will be well passed there use date now too, so a good mod I think.
B. Yes as above slight better breaking, you can also choose different colours and helps customise the bike a bit.

Agrees with Tefer,
The chances are that the rubber originals on your bike are possibly 10 or 15 years old, and rubber does perish and after a while some breaking efficiency is lost due to the old rubber pipes ballooning under heavy breaking, so a real improvement in braking is gained with braided lines.

Plus as Tefer says you can choose a colour to match your custom scheme if you have one, or, the colour of the bodywork of you bike if you don't, another plus is they are not so fat and chunky so they look a lot sharper.

I have Cobra lines on mine, but someone did say that he thought they were manufactured in the same factory, Hells are highly thought of and if you can get soem dosh off as a Foccer that would be the way to go I would imagine.

Good luck  :thumbup and as said, it's a great upgrade and win win in every direction 
« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 05:35:16 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2017, 05:37:42 pm »
Hey Tefer who is the statue of in your Nick picture?

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2017, 06:17:56 pm »
Hey Tefer who is the statue of in your Nick picture?

Some German guy, I can't remember the name.  :rollin

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2017, 08:27:48 pm »
Hey again guys hope you are all well.

Have been thinking recent about putting some braided brake lines on my fazer and just wanted to know:

A. Does anyone else have them on their FZS600 and how are they? Big improvement, best brakes of all my bikes.
B. Do you all think it's worth doing? Definitely
C. What are the best braided brake lines (front and rear) for the bike as so many manufacturers make them? HEL...in your choice of colour and with discount.

Hope you guys can help me out as always ☺
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2017, 08:35:09 pm »
To be honest when people finally do get round to changing their brake lines i think the fact that the OEM ones are so tired that any new lines will feel like a big improvement, but braided are definitely the way to go anyway.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2017, 09:27:30 am »
Last summer I had to replace my braided lines as eventually these get tired too! They'll last a lot longer than the rubber tho'.
I went with a set of venhills, UK made a bargain on fleabay at £50  :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2017, 10:41:58 am »
Last summer I had to replace my braided lines as eventually these get tired too! They'll last a lot longer than the rubber tho'.

Yeah same as, i opted for the Venhills as well, they do what they say on the box.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2017, 01:42:56 pm »
My front are Hel
No one so far has mentioned the option of a two or 3 line front, I went for a two line front.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
My front are Hel
No one so far has mentioned the option of a two or 3 line front, I went for a two line front.

Same as that Sharpie, I went for the two line front as opposed to the three line setup as it cuts out the splitter manifold on the front fork yoke, plus it reduces the number of bango bolts/joints, less chance of leaks. win win it seems to me. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 15 January 2017, 04:38:45 pm by tommyardin »

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2017, 06:00:41 pm »
Hey guys thanks for all your help so far.

I was actually going to ask about the 2 or 3 front line option. Wanted to know what's it all about? What is the differences between 2 and 3 front lines?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2017, 08:50:42 pm »
Hey guys thanks for all your help so far.

I was actually going to ask about the 2 or 3 front line option. Wanted to know what's it all about? What is the differences between 2 and 3 front lines?
You dump the crossover do - dah splitter that gos from the leaver, otherwise you have one banjo bolt at leaver goes to a crosover then to two lines left and right, A 2 line set up has a double banjo as in Tommys picture that then gos direct to the left and right doing away with the extra bar across the wheel on the yoke - have a look at it now and follow the rubber and see 
You see tommys picture and there are two lines attached to one - each line gos left side then right side and you bypass and remove the cross bar.
If you did not do it this way then there would be one connection at tommys picture which then gos to a cross connecting bar then from there is gos to left and right so you have a 3 line - main piston to cross bar to two sides or 2 line main piston via a double banjo bolt - like tommys picture to each side.
I dont think it makes a difference either way two are cheaper and less joins to leak and makes the bike lighter by he weight of the crosover bar !   
« Last Edit: 15 January 2017, 08:58:09 pm by fazersharp »

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2017, 08:51:39 pm »
I replaced my aged rubber ones a couple of years ago with 2 line HELs and immediately noticed a difference, but this could be down to the rubber ones being knackered.

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2017, 05:51:38 am »

as above...

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2017, 09:36:31 pm »

Interesting that they degrade as well as was watching a 2nd hand set  from breakers on Ebay - maybe not such a good idea, you just cant gaurantee where they are in the lifecycle.

I had Goodridge on my old bike, as at the time they were the household name, but they had crappy plated banjo bolts, if buying again I would make sure they include stainless fittings not zinc plated.

- How do you claim your FOC discount then?
Russ :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2017, 10:44:26 pm »

Interesting that they degrade as well as was watching a 2nd hand set  from breakers on Ebay - maybe not such a good idea, you just cant gaurantee where they are in the lifecycle.

I had Goodridge on my old bike, as at the time they were the household name, but they had crappy plated banjo bolts, if buying again I would make sure they include stainless fittings not zinc plated.

- How do you claim your FOC discount then?

Don't even consider used brake lines, you'll have zero idea of what they've been through or what condition they're in, it's basically false economy.

As always mentioned on here before, don't scrimp on brakes and tyres.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2017, 12:02:03 am »
I wonder if anyone has ever followed the notes in the Owners Manual and Service Manual and replaced the brake hoses every 4 years and brake seals including master cylinder every 2 years? 

After 16 1/2 years I've still got 3 out of 4 original brake hoses and  never touched the master cylinder seals

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2017, 02:38:20 am »
I wonder if anyone has ever followed the notes in the Owners Manual and Service Manual and replaced the brake hoses every 4 years and brake seals including master cylinder every 2 years? 

After 16 1/2 years I've still got 3 out of 4 original brake hoses and  never touched the master cylinder seals

Haha wow I never knew the manual says to replace it all so quickly, I would say most Fazers don't see new hoses or seals to at least 10-15 years old, mine is 16 years old this year and I've only just put this post up about braided brake lines  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
I did my front at about 13 years old but at 19 years old (20k miles ) I am still on the oem rear, 2nd set of pads I do keep a close eye on the condition and one of the reasons is that I dont want the back to be so good as using braided lines.
When I brought the bike at 3 years old the rear pads were so low I had to change them a year or so later and I have had the same ones in since then the last two riders must of been stamping on the brake.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2017, 12:43:59 pm »

They probably only do that so that they can't be sued when the lines/seals fail any time after that

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2017, 03:06:53 pm »
Pleased I looked this post up. I'm updating a 2000 that I've bought as a winter project and brake lines are same as the chain and sprockets = original.

Didn't realise there was a two line front although had seen a 'Race Set' on WeMoto.  http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/00/picture/hel_front_hydraulic_hose_-_race_set-up/  so going for that unless alternative is suggested. Fancy stainless braided and expect has clear covering. Saved me about £25 so thanks guys.

How about rear? See some go for 1000 caliper. Is it worth the extra as only intended moderate cruising?

Thanks again for the timely post.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2017, 04:53:54 pm »
Go direct to HEL and tel them you are a member here for a discount.
I wouldnt bother with swapping the rear, many have but its not for better performance as you dont need it on the rear - its done more for looks

Bimbam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2017, 09:19:34 pm »
Hi. Got my Hel braided brake lines today from Sportsbikeshop. I dident know that members could ordre direct from Hel.
Anyway got them for 64 and the price in Denmark is 119.
Here is a pic of my and my brothers Fazer.
Dont try to be the best in town, just be the best, until the best come arround

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2017, 09:38:57 am »
Being a bit "OCD"(OTT?) I have previously replaced ALL the rubber components in the braking system as per Yamaha recommendations. However....On removing old master cylinder components have never found any to be damaged/worn except the rubber "boot" that sits on the outside. The brake piston seals respond well to regular(at least once a season) cleaning and relube with red rubber grease.
Yamahas prices for seals & overhaul kits are extortionate but have had excellent service from Powerhouse Automotive products for a substantial saving.
Re 2 or 3 line front hose setup. I have always gone for the 2 line-fewer parts involved but make sure the routing is good to avoid touching anything going lock to lock with bars.