Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:28 pm

Author Topic: Need tyres - Recommended ones from you guys?  (Read 2790 times)

FatRakoon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - CB400SF & GSXF600
    • View Profile
Need tyres - Recommended ones from you guys?
« on: 15 August 2020, 12:13:14 am »
Ok, well, my MOT is due in 2 months.

I will definitely be needing a new rear tyre... It got plenty of meat on it at this time, however I dont see it lasting as I am piling on the miles.

The thing is, that I have been out of the 2 wheelers scene for a good few years and I have been riding my trikes.

This is due to me having a nasty bump and so I am slightly paranoid about coming of again, and this has made the center of my tyre just a tad on the worn side, while the sides are meatier than a butchers bin, and this has made the tyre almost look like a car tyre.

I was thinking about these dual compound tyres that some people seem to mention.

What is the actual facts about them?

I am no racer, I am however a fat git.

I currently have mitchelins on both front and back, and the bike has a built-in magnet that seems to make it attracted to lines in the road, and so I plan on avoiding mitchelins.

My Honda ( another impulse buy ) has Dunlop and they are lovely and round, however, they are slippy as heck and I am terrified of  riding that in the wet.

I just want some input really, if anyoen can offer me a good long life tyre?

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Need tyres - Recommended ones from you guys?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2020, 08:10:29 am »
A very cost effective tyre that had a good tread life, multi compound on the rear is the Bridgestone Battlax 023. This is a sport touring tyre and I have had a set of these on my FZS600 for the last 7k miles and there is still a bit of life left in them.

A trip to the Picos, a few trips to Scotland with lots of "spirited" rides and they have been good. They have never given me cause for doubt about grip levels and although they are an old design, they are still a good tyre. I think I paid about £170 for a pair fitted to loose wheels.
Of course, there are always the latest models to choose from but they cost a lot more. Remember, the tyres of today that are lauded as being superb, don't become rubbish in a few years because some new design of tyre is launched. Click on the tiny print below for a video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eTif-Bw0uj4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: 15 August 2020, 08:14:44 am by bernieeccles »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2020, 08:24:08 am »
Michelin Road Pilot tyres are nothing short of brilliant in my opinion as far as sticking to the road in all weathers, and for longevity.

I wouldn't buy anything else now to be honest.

Which Michelin tyres do you have on at the moment?

I've currently got a PR3 on the front and PR4 on the rear and that combo has been awesome, but due to an ever closing MOT and a couple of plugs in the rear tyre i've just ordered a Road 5. They're not exactly cheap, but the reviews are excellent everywhere i read, plus i have a mate who has just put a set of Road 5's on an FJR1300 and he confirmed they are outstanding tyres as well.

I think the PR4's are harder wearing than the PR3's, but the Road 5 is meant to surpass them as well. 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2020, 09:22:43 am »
I currently have mitchelins on both front and back, and the bike has a built-in magnet that seems to make it attracted to lines in the road, and so I plan on avoiding mitchelins.

Stop looking at the lines and the bike will stop going on them, basic rule of riding what you look at is where the bike goes  ;)

Michelin Road Pilot tyres are nothing short of brilliant in my opinion as far as sticking to the road in all weathers, and for longevity.

Best road tyre bar none in my opinion, not cheap but deals can be found any of the Pilot range.
The best suited for the FZS is https://www.michelin.co.uk/motorbike/tyres/michelin-pilot-power-2ct  Yes later versions are out but over the top, these will give you the best all round performance for the money.   

Don't fall into the trap of these track based tyre tests, tracks are nothing like a greasy roundabout in the wet!  Or tyres tested on sports bikes etc, only a fraction of your riding will be spent at high lean angles, what matters is wet performance, braking stability, wear rates.   

Just be aware many tyre places will tell you, you need later versions. the 2CT is crap, they don't make anymore etc, etc.  It's just because they get better margins on the latest tyre and went to flog you them, money in their pocket. 

Later

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2020, 03:06:53 pm »

Another vote for the Bridgestone BT023 here.
I’m presently on the Michelin PR3/4 combo… they grip OK. Being of lighter construction, the lighter handling took me a bit of time to gain confidence. There’s anecdotal evidence that they’re also less resistant to punctures.
I’m not covering many miles since being made redundant, but if I ever wear these out I’ll go back to Bridgestone.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2020, 10:51:16 am »

Stop looking at the lines and the bike will stop going on them, basic rule of riding what you look at is where the bike goes  ;)

Best road tyre bar none in my opinion, not cheap but deals can be found any of the Pilot range.
The best suited for the FZS is https://www.michelin.co.uk/motorbike/tyres/michelin-pilot-power-2ct  Yes later versions are out but over the top, these will give you the best all round performance for the money.   

Don't fall into the trap of these track based tyre tests, tracks are nothing like a greasy roundabout in the wet!  Or tyres tested on sports bikes etc, only a fraction of your riding will be spent at high lean angles, what matters is wet performance, braking stability, wear rates.   

Just be aware many tyre places will tell you, you need later versions. the 2CT is crap, they don't make anymore etc, etc.  It's just because they get better margins on the latest tyre and went to flog you them, money in their pocket.

So while I was asleep this morning my new tyre gets delivered, and the instructions were to check it was the right one on the spot, but after asking the courier to wait a sec so I could be woken up he stated it was the right name and address then drove off.

I've just h as d a look and I've unwittingly ordered a POWER 5 instead of a Road 5  :groan

Seeing as all my efforts of research went into the Road 5 I know sod all about this Power 5 tyre, and it just came from Andorra (Spain/France) so it's not gonna be fun swapping it.

Does anyone know if these are just as good? I'll probably end up keeping it but notice that the tread pattern is quite a bit different, and i focus more towards bad weather riding.

In fairness the first few reviews I just read said they are good in the wet and that's what i really wanted to hear, but does anyone have any personal experience at all?
« Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 12:12:01 pm by darrsi »

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2020, 11:07:11 am »
By power 5 I assume you mean the power RS's.
Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Pressure need to be on the top side 35/40 as they have a pliable sidewall and compression damping can be 1 or 2 clicks out from your usual preference for the same reason.
The rear is quite apexed giving a large contact patch at lean but the front has a flatter profile to improve straight line stability,  this is why the pressure needs to be close to  the upper limit to prevent over flattening when breaking hard while turning in.
Don't know what you expect regarding longevity but I usually get around 5-6 thousand from a rear.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2020, 11:28:57 am »
By power 5 I assume you mean the power RS's.
Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Pressure need to be on the top side 35/40 as they have a pliable sidewall and compression damping can be 1 or 2 clicks out from your usual preference for the same reason.
The rear is quite apexed giving a large contact patch at lean but the front has a flatter profile to improve straight line stability,  this is why the pressure needs to be close to  the upper limit to prevent over flattening when breaking hard while turning in.
Don't know what you expect regarding longevity but I usually get around 5-6 thousand from a rear.

It just says POWER 5, no mention of RS anywhere.

I only bought a rear as I still have plenty of tread on my front PR3.

The Road 5 has a lot more tread pattern in the middle of the tyre, but the Power 5 has a lot of tread on the edges.

But as my bike is my only transport I will ride in very wet and even icy conditions so stability is my main concern.

The PR3f/PR4r passed the icy road test with flying colours when I got caught out in a snowstorm last year. But they both have more tread pattern in the centre than this new one.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2020, 11:36:14 am »
Yeh, I have a 100 mile commute, 6 days/week all year round. I'd say the pr4's are more suited to wet/cold/snowy weather.
Pr4 though not the gt version. The GT is way too stiff in the winter.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2020, 11:45:40 am »
Road 5 (left) and the Power 5 (right)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2020, 11:48:59 am »
I'm not a lightweight plus i have a large top box as well so i've no doubt it will be just fine, but i'm just a tad disappointed that i didn't get what i really wanted.  :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2020, 01:01:58 pm »
Okay, so maybe i can stop panicking a bit after reading these reviews, especially this one in particular.....

"...Last set were the Road 5’s that lasted 10k miles. 1k on the Power 5’s and 10k expected out of the set. Not a perceived difference in wet grip from the Road 5, but dry grip is better on the rear...."

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=Rx05X-elJKuq1fAPxp2UoAY&q=power+5+tyre+reviews&oq=power+5+tyre+reviews&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeOgUIABCxAzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6AgguOggILhCxAxCDAToOCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6CAguEMcBEKMCOg4ILhCxAxDHARCjAhCTAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6AggAOgUILhCxAzoLCC4QsQMQgwEQkwI6CAguELEDEJMCOgsILhCxAxDHARCvAToICCEQFhAdEB5Q4wdY41Jgj1doAHAAeACAAZACiAHREJIBBjEzLjYuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwin5Zb405_rAhUrVRUIHcYOBWQQ4dUDCAk&uact=5
« Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 01:02:31 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2020, 01:03:58 pm »
Ok, well, my MOT is due in 2 months.

I will definitely be needing a new rear tyre... It got plenty of meat on it at this time, however I dont see it lasting as I am piling on the miles.

The thing is, that I have been out of the 2 wheelers scene for a good few years and I have been riding my trikes.

This is due to me having a nasty bump and so I am slightly paranoid about coming of again, and this has made the center of my tyre just a tad on the worn side, while the sides are meatier than a butchers bin, and this has made the tyre almost look like a car tyre.

I was thinking about these dual compound tyres that some people seem to mention.

What is the actual facts about them?

I am no racer, I am however a fat git.

My Honda ( another impulse buy ) has Dunlop and they are lovely and round, however, they are slippy as heck and I am terrified of  riding that in the wet.

I just want some input really, if anyoen can offer me a good long life tyre?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it is all tyre related and informative at least.  ;)

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2020, 05:22:14 pm »
to stick my twopenny worth in, and its another vote for bridgestone battlax bt023. excellent in wet and dry, and good value.    https://www.bikespeeduk.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1953     on my journey home yesterday about 80 of my 90 mile journey was in torrential rain, tyres were faultless, I have a matched pair

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2020, 06:58:02 pm »
I owned a ZR7S and had Pilot Road 3's on them and never looked back. The only crime is that their seems a limited amount of stock available in the most popular sizes thus forcing people into buying the more expensive Road 4's / 5's. The 3's are a very good tyre if you can find a set, but I had no issues with the 4's I ran on a CBF 1000.

Expensive, but worth it when it comes to finding yourself in the worse of weather... for a commuter at least.

Not long got my fazer but I'll be looking to switch to Pilot Road's the closer winter gets.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
I have to agree with Bernieeccles and go with the Bridgestones. I'm a lot heavier than I should be and I'm no boy racer but I like to have fun on it. I have a large top box on my and I got just over 9000 miles out of my last rear. The secret to extended tyre life is to be quick and smooth.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2020, 10:04:51 am »
I owned a ZR7S and had Pilot Road 3's on them and never looked back. The only crime is that their seems a limited amount of stock available in the most popular sizes thus forcing people into buying the more expensive Road 4's / 5's. The 3's are a very good tyre if you can find a set, but I had no issues with the 4's I ran on a CBF 1000.

Expensive, but worth it when it comes to finding yourself in the worse of weather... for a commuter at least.

Not long got my fazer but I'll be looking to switch to Pilot Road's the closer winter gets.

Pretty well stocked up with everything on here at reasonable prices too:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2020, 10:32:23 am »
I am running Avon 3D-XM's on my bandit 1250, and also had them on my bandit 1200 and my FZS1000. These tyres are as good as Conti RoadAttack or Pilot road 2/3's.
They best thing about them is the price £150 per pair, see Tyretech trading.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2020, 11:19:05 am »
Just got a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts from M&P for £130 delivered.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 August 2020, 03:59:09 pm »
I am running Avon 3D-XM's on my bandit 1250, and also had them on my bandit 1200 and my FZS1000. These tyres are as good as Conti RoadAttack or Pilot road 2/3's.
They best thing about them is the price £150 per pair, see Tyretech trading.

Sooner you than me mate, I've personally never had a good experience with any Avon tyre past the TT100 of the late 70's/80s.  The last set I bought were back in 2004ish I can't remember what they were think they were the first Storms, really can't remember in fact I've probably wiped the memory they were so bad, I removed them after 600 miles or so.  Even all their later types (ridden when testing customers bikes) and the 3D's are not much better, vague in corners, horrible in the wet.  Most have said they'd never buy another set.

It's a real shame as I'd like to buy Brit, that said they're now owned by Cooper Tyres which is America :rolleyes

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2020, 07:31:48 pm »
I wouldn't use anything other than Michelin Pilot Roads on my bikes, 2s,3s,4s or 5s. Nothing comes close, in my opinion

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2020, 07:35:23 pm »
I am running Avon 3D-XM's, They best thing about them is the price £150 per pair, see Tyretech trading.
Sooner you than me mate, I've personally never had a good experience with any Avon tyre past the TT100 of the late 70's/80s. It's a real shame as I'd like to buy Brit, that said they're now owned by Cooper Tyres which is America
Hah I had the same exp, hated them. Took them back to the shop etc. But with these 3D-XM's havent looked back. If we put price to one side and going off memory of the last 30+ years -

V. Good:
  • Avon 3D-XM
  • Pilot road 1/2/3's - have head bad things about the PR4's dont know about the 5's
Good:
  • Conti Road Attacks 1/2's - had them on a ZZR1100 and several FZS1000's - then the price skyrocketed.
  • Some Pirelli model - fitted to my first few bikes way back in 1995 onwards.
Average:
  • Bridgestone BT020/21's - fitted to a few bikes over the years damn things squared off far to quickly.
Bad:
  • Dunlop D207's - had them on a ZZR110 for 450 mile and took off and got a refund, causing a speed wobble above 80mph
  • Some early Avon model - they were god awe-full in the wet, also fitted to one of the ZZR's I had around then.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2020, 07:36:57 pm by b1k3rdude »

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2020, 11:50:16 pm »
Pretty well stocked up with everything on here at reasonable prices too:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/

Think its the rear 160/60 ZR17 69w that's hard to get for the PR3's, none on that site either.

Always look at openeo in past, will save link.

Thanks.

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 August 2020, 10:51:39 pm »
For all-rounders, it's another vote for the pilot roads.

For dry weather or "spirited" riding, I'm a big fan of the diablo rosso's

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 August 2020, 10:50:02 am »
For all-rounders, it's another vote for the pilot roads.
For dry weather or "spirited" riding, I'm a big fan of the diablo rosso's
I have Metzeler M7 RR on mine
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.