Date: 16-04-24  Time: 21:24 pm

Author Topic: front sprocket nut  (Read 14599 times)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: front sprocket nut
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2016, 08:42:12 pm »
You might be interseted to know, especially fazersharp, I've eventually done my chain and sprockets on my '98 it had covered 28,400 miles and probably original chain and front sprocket not sure of back on as it looked have abused as the front one did.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2016, 08:47:53 pm »
28k but the nut it's still there just loose a bit.
It's original nut and sprocket looks as it was changed

Ok thank you for the info

Just as I thought 28k and already been replaced

DARRSI. are you reading this?  :pokefun (I believe it goes  ) :nana

The sprocket may have been replaced, but still the original nut!
Hardly surprising it's done over 24K on an 18 year old bike!
You still don't get it do you - its not the nut its the output shaft on 99 onwards.
We are yet to find a 98 with an un touched nut that has had the nut come off on its own

Have you tried a museum?
To have a bike 18 years and not use it is just weird.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2016, 09:19:58 pm »

You still don't get it do you - its not the nut its the output shaft on 99 onwards.
We are yet to find a 98 with an un touched nut that has had the nut come off on its own

Have you tried a museum?
Yes that is now becoming an issue - to find 98s still running factory chain and sprockets, but every one we do find backs up my theory.
Just like this one has
I shall remind you that twas YOU that  :pokefun me 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2016, 10:01:30 pm »

Have you tried a museum?
Yes that is now becoming an issue - to find 98s still running factory chain and sprockets, but every one we do find backs up my theory.
Just like this one has

Not sure if we can accept "probably"?

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2016, 10:18:18 pm »

Have you tried a museum?
Just like this one has

Chain it's definetelly new.
I have bought new pair of sprocket and 12mm nut.
All coming on Friday so finger crossed I can took of that loose nut and put all as it should be.

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 April 2016, 10:19:48 pm »
You might be interseted to know, especially fazersharp, I've eventually done my chain and sprockets on my '98 it had covered 28,400 miles and probably original chain and front sprocket not sure of back on as it looked have abused as the front one did.

Will do some picture tomorrow morning but I don't think it's so bad as on the picture

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 April 2016, 10:31:57 pm »

FFS Sinto I think you were lucky that the chain had not jumped the sprocket and wiped out the clutch push rod assembly.  :eek :fish

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 April 2016, 11:39:40 pm »
FFS Sinto I think you were lucky that the chain had not jumped the sprocket and wiped out the clutch push rod assembly.  :eek :fish

I know!

I kept putting it off due to one thing or another, knew it needed done but came end of last season I put it away and one thing led to another, work/family issues etc but yes, I'm extremely lucky so it's a lottery ticket at weekend me thinks :)

I think the original Yamaha engineers would be really pleased/interested of how long the original chain and sprocket lasted :lol
« Last Edit: 30 April 2016, 09:12:21 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 April 2016, 11:43:57 pm »

I know!

I kept putting it off due to one thing or another, knew it needed done but came end of last season I put it away and one thing led to another, wirk/family issues etc but yes, I'm extremely lucky so it's a lottery ticket at weekend me thinks :)

Ok so all done new sprocket and nut on place:)
The picture of old sprockets and that small nut attached

tmp 5921 20160429 1829002038478561
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 April 2016, 11:59:54 pm »
tmp 5921 20160429 182907249810580

I know!

I kept putting it off due to one thing or another, knew it needed done but came end of last season I put it away and one thing led to another, wirk/family issues etc but yes, I'm extremely lucky so it's a lottery ticket at weekend me thinks :)

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 April 2016, 12:03:10 am »
tmp 5921 20160429 1829291866326807
tmp 5921 20160429 1829291866326807

I know!

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 April 2016, 08:53:09 am »
Good job that you have changed the nut  :thumbup

Two questions. I see on the pictures the rear wheel is almost at the end of the stretching the chain? Not sure from the picture is that the case.

Do you have enough chain slack, it must be 30-40mm. Do you have measured your chain wear? 10 links must be no more than 150mm long. If it is more the chain has been stretched too far and needs change.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 April 2016, 09:26:52 am »

Two questions. I see on the pictures the rear wheel is almost at the end of the stretching the chain? Not sure from the picture is that the case.

Do you have enough chain slack, it must be 30-40mm. Do you have measured your chain wear? 10 links must be no more than 150mm long. If it is more the chain has been stretched too far and needs change.

Chain slack its ok
IT'S still 2 lines to limit. It's better when I changed sprockets.
I will check that 150mm when have time.
Thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 April 2016, 01:37:09 pm »
Might just be the picture but do the threads on that shaft look stripped to anyone? I'd be keeping a close eye on that I think they look pretty worn

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 April 2016, 01:59:43 pm »
Might just be the picture but do the threads on that shaft look stripped to anyone? I'd be keeping a close eye on that I think they look pretty worn

What threads?  :look

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 April 2016, 02:19:49 pm »

Luckily was good as new. Put new bigger nut on it.
It's propobly only picture quality.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 April 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

Chain slack its ok
IT'S still 2 lines to limit. It's better when I changed sprockets.
I will check that 150mm when have time.
Thanks

The lines are not for the limit of the chain they are only for lining up the rear wheel to ensure it is in straight., :eek

Fazer 600 Chains on standard sprockets are well worn long before the adjustment lines get down too two showing. :rolleyes

Any chain on standard sprockets that far back on the adjusters is a failure waiting to happen. :eek

Ignore the numbers for chain slack, when on the centre stand, Engine off, rotate the wheel until you can feel the tightest section of the chain. Now push the chain up to the swinging arm, it should just touch the rubber protector on the swinging arm without too much force.
If it does not touch the rubber protector the chain is to tight.  :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 April 2016, 06:03:16 pm »
Looking at the photos that Chris has submitted I would be really concerned (unless they are really really poor quality pics) the treads on the shaft look almost non existent as do the threads on the old Nut that is balanced on his knee in the pics (Not that the nut matters as its being replaced) but the shaft really is important, it's a fine thread anyway and it should be torqued up to 94 Km. :eek :eek :eek 

Really clean that thread properly (Meth or trichloroethylene) so there in no sigh of any oil, grease or dirt on the shaft thread and the same with the nut (I know is a new nut) as there may be cutting oil on it from where it was factory threaded, use lock tight on the thread and be generous with it, torque setting should factory recommendation 94Kn, but if the thread are as worn as they look in the pics I would be concerned about torquing up that high for fear of stripping the threads off the shaft, bend the new washer over at least two flats of the nut.
someone mentioned Locite superglue in one of the posts but the only problem with that is it may set before the nut is really tight giving a false torque setting.

It seems with all the reading that I have done on the web and in here that it is really really important to get this right otherwise it is a huge expense correcting it if it goes tits up on you.
I hasten to add I am only talking from reading up and not personal experience, as, I have yet to manage to get the fucking nut undone on my :faz .
But I have had a couple of great ideas how to accomplish this from friendly foccers in here.
I have not written the above to be an ogre or someone full of doom and gloom, but a :faz is to nice a bike to be shagged by a stupid loose nut and sprocket.
Best way to find out if a chain is past its sell by date is to compress/push about 10 links together measure it between the centre of two extreme link pins, then stretch it out and measure it again if it is any more that about 8mm/5/16" longer its time to change it, a broken chain will get you off quicker than a 22 year old pole dancer. :lol

Buy yourself a can of chain lube its much cheaper than changing chains and sprockets, I know a lot of guys brush their chains with used engine oil and I sure it lubes the chain fine, but only for as long as it stays on the chain, a quick thrash through the lanes and most of it is on you back wheel rim. I personally like the Motul chain lube is stays dark when dry and sticks like s--t to a blanket, it also means no dirty rear wheel and less chance of an inconvenient broken chain.

And this cat thinks I'm fucking stupid. 
« Last Edit: 30 April 2016, 06:06:13 pm by tommyardin »

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 April 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
Looking at the photos that Chris has submitted I would be really concerned (unless they are really really poor quality pics) the treads on the shaft look almost non existent as do the threads on the old Nut that is balanced on his knee in the pics (Not that the nut matters as its being replaced) but the shaft really is important, it's a fine thread anyway and it should be torqued up to 94 Km. :eek :eek :eek 

Really clean that thread properly (Meth or trichloroethylene) so there in no sigh of any oil, grease or dirt on the shaft thread and the same with the nut (I know is a new nut) as there may be cutting oil on it from where it was factory threaded, use lock tight on the thread and be generous with it, torque setting should factory recommendation 94Kn, but if the thread are as worn as they look in the pics I would be concerned about torquing up that high for fear of stripping the threads off the shaft, bend the new washer over at least two flats of the nut.
someone mentioned Locite superglue in one of the posts but the only problem with that is it may set before the nut is really tight giving a false torque setting.

It seems with all the reading that I have done on the web and in here that it is really really important to get this right otherwise it is a huge expense correcting it if it goes tits up on you.
I hasten to add I am only talking from reading up and not personal experience, as, I have yet to manage to get the fucking nut undone on my :faz .
But I have had a couple of great ideas how to accomplish this from friendly foccers in here.
I have not written the above to be an ogre or someone full of doom and gloom, but a :faz is to nice a bike to be shagged by a stupid loose nut and sprocket.
Best way to find out if a chain is past its sell by date is to compress/push about 10 links together measure it between the centre of two extreme link pins, then stretch it out and measure it again if it is any more that about 8mm/5/16" longer its time to change it, a broken chain will get you off quicker than a 22 year old pole dancer. :lol

Buy yourself a can of chain lube its much cheaper than changing chains and sprockets, I know a lot of guys brush their chains with used engine oil and I sure it lubes the chain fine, but only for as long as it stays on the chain, a quick thrash through the lanes and most of it is on you back wheel rim. I personally like the Motul chain lube is stays dark when dry and sticks like s--t to a blanket, it also means no dirty rear wheel and less chance of an inconvenient broken chain.

And this cat thinks I'm fucking stupid. 

Thanks  for advise:)
I was suprised as well but the tread on shaft was in very good condition.
Picture wasn't clear enough to see it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 April 2016, 10:40:22 pm »
94Nm not Km

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 30 April 2016, 11:00:28 pm »
Sounds like a result then Chris I really pleased for you. But your chain in the pic of the rear sprocket needs some TLC.

The picture of my rear sprocket was lubed with Motul about 300/350 miles ago and the stuff is still on the chain.
Useful tip on checking chain tension from Unfazed, thanks for that mate.
Tight chain will trash rear wheel bearings as well as gear box bearings and Foc up chains and sprockets, and an aside it will certainly lose you power to. :uhuh :moon
I will shut the Foc up now and go to bed  :z  I'm still thinking about that pole dancer. :evil
« Last Edit: 30 April 2016, 11:03:55 pm by tommyardin »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 May 2016, 12:17:03 am »

The torque on the 12mm nut is 90Nm not 94Nm

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 May 2016, 12:29:56 am »
Unfazed to the rescue again cheers buddy 90 it is then :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 May 2016, 12:19:02 pm »
Unfazed to the rescue again cheers buddy 90 it is then :thumbup

There was a thread on this some time ago and if I remember right the old thin nut was 70NM and the new fat one 90nm, people were questioning the 90nm as being a bit over the top and in its self risked stripping the thread so as a compermise people went for 80nm
Here found it ---- http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14924.msg169018.html#msg169018

More (other) nut stuff here
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 May 2016, 10:02:02 pm »

So you were right. 10 links was 200mm long.
I have closely check the chain and was shocked that I didn't see before how worn was it.
All change now. Completly different bike now :)